PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please

DavidMansaray
10-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Hey my names David. Ive been using maya for the last few months and ive been focusing on modelling. I'm a member of digital tutors and ive been teaching myself. I feel thatmy rogress is very little. i mean I'm deffinitly making some sort of Improvement. before i wouldnt know where to start but now at leat I can look at an object an reverse engineer it in my head and decide what shapes and what tools would be best for me to create it.

My problem is that as well as i know what i have to do i jsut dont seem to get it the way i want. I'm becoming extremely frustrated and I'm not sure weather i can do this. i know perseverance is key but Im really really struggling.

i find digital tutors good but sometimes i feel that they jsut teach how to puch buttons oppose to understnding what your doing. I use many different sources for my information about CG and I'm very very passionate and It is totally my world at the moment.

I'm thinking maybe i need classroom training.
please let me know what you all think

much appreciated

David Mansaray

phix314
10-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Personally speaking, I did the same thing. I've had no formal training and I'd say it took me about 4 almost 5 years to get to a point where I was comfortable sitting down and getting my thoughts on the screen. A few months in Maya is a scratch on the surface.

Frankly, the community can't really diagnose your situation. It's up to you and if this is worth it or not.

Dare-o
10-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Once you find your type of work flow, the 3d package your using and modeling becomes faster, better, and easier.

Going to school does really help. when your around about 20 other people in a classroom at your stage, it makes a huge difference. You learn lots of different techniques. Being at home learning by yourself in an enclosed room I would say is way harder. Usually in my 3d class we get our homework critiqued every week which is awesome. Telling us whats wrong with it, then our teacher shows us how to fix it, with the help of students. It's almost like your working in a professional studio in the industry.

If you have the money and dedication think about school.

DavidMansaray
03-15-2010, 03:16 AM
Hey I know its been a while I just wanted to say thank you for your responses. I don't know why I didn't reply before. I'm just looking thorough my old posts and I realised I didn't reply.

I've made progress since I posted this.

what I came to realise is that self taught is a longer and more difficult journey but you can make it happen if you persevere.

I'm working really hard!

Doebino
03-15-2010, 01:29 PM
What are the things you are having the most trouble with?

DavidMansaray
03-15-2010, 01:51 PM
What are the things you are having the most trouble with?

at the moment I'm focusing on modelling but I'm learning bits of dynamics ect ect along the way.

With modelling heres my problem. I know the tools available to me and I know how to use them but figuring out the best way to replicate a shape in CG is not nearly as easy as it looks. i can break the objects down into simple shapes in my head but i just don't know how to approach it.

what's your approach when modelling how do you 'break things down?'

danlefeb
03-15-2010, 02:05 PM
what's your approach when modelling how do you 'break things down?'

I would say this is a matter of experience. I primarily deal with hard surfaces at work, so I still find that I have difficulty trying to break down organic objects for modeling while hard surfaces can be broken down pretty easily for me. Its all a matter of practice, practice, practice.

DavidMansaray
03-15-2010, 02:23 PM
I would say this is a matter of experience. I primarily deal with hard surfaces at work, so I still find that I have difficulty trying to break down organic objects for modeling while hard surfaces can be broken down pretty easily for me. Its all a matter of practice, practice, practice.

Yh I think your right. there cant really be an answer to what i'm asking except practice. one of those things that just need to click I guess

Doebino
03-15-2010, 02:40 PM
I usually just try and sketch out all 3 views of the object I'm going for to get an idea and for use with my image planes or try to find some images of the object online. Have anything specific you like modeling? I prefer to do hard surface and environments. They just seem to be easier than the organic shapes.

swilt
03-23-2010, 06:05 PM
for me, going to school was much better...I would have been extremely frustrated trying to figure out all the stuff by myself that I learned from school. If you really want to make this your career, and think it will take too long doing it on your own, then I would consider...school can be really good for networking too.

surreal-reality
03-26-2010, 10:00 PM
well, for me I tend to block things out, then start adding detail as I get proportions for each level of detail hammered out.

for instance, a tree, I would start with a cylinder, not too many sub divions going around, and non vertically. Then take the split edge tool, and add one in towards the base, so the trunk can be wider, then add a few more in, and move them around to get it looking organic. basically just keep going from there.

I know that's vague, but with text alone, it's hard to really explain it.
Youtube is a good place to look at people's speed modeling videos. see if these give you any ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itMvMMl8FMY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiyT5uDqXAk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkL2j9nW5IA

anyways, hope that helps. Don't push yourself to try and make something perfect and super realistic right away.. That can be discouraging. take a few hours a day to just be abstract, model some random shape and keep going with it. have fun with it, and before you know it, modeling will be second nature, and you can focus on making real things.

CGTalk Moderation
03-26-2010, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.