PDA

View Full Version : Dustparticles for old room, In maya or post?

Lightweight
10-16-2009, 04:50 AM
Hey, like the topic's called, Im modelling an old abandoned room, with a guy in first person view walking around inside the room with a flashlight.
I desperately want dust particles in the air, just flying around slowly with some turbulence of some kind.
However I absolutely suck at the particle stuff, so I cant decide if I should take the time to do this in Maya, or if this is possible in post-production.

After Effects can produce some similar looking particles, but then again, I'd probably have to import the 3d-camera from Maya into AE, which is a hazzle obviously, and set up a 3d layer.
In AE, the particles wont become lit up by the flashlight realisticly either I'd say.

So, any tips?
I'll give u a screenshot of how the room looks, a bit of it at least =)

bendingiscool
10-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Hey,

I reckon you could get fairly good results in both 2D and 3D.

If you were going down the 3D root you could use sprites in a volume emitter for the dust and as you mentioned put turbulance on them, plus doing it this way would allow you to light them with the flash light.

Alternativly, you could do it in 2D in AE and create a glowing mask over the particles that follows the motion of the flashlight.

Cheers,
Chris

TheRispo
10-16-2009, 02:56 PM
My suggestion would be creating that dust particles in 3d inside a volume emitter, considering you already have the camera and the lighting setup, you don't have to worry to much about lighting the particles and motion blur.

Using 2d to create that effect would probably also give you a cool looking effect, but in my opinion it will be to much of a hazzle to create.

Hezza
10-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Have a look into the parti_volume shader, can get very nice dust motes using it. Do a search on here and google, few tutorials kicking about.

Lightweight
10-18-2009, 06:06 AM
Have a look into the parti_volume shader, can get very nice dust motes using it. Do a search on here and google, few tutorials kicking about.

Thanks for introducing me to this one. Seems like a pretty good option if you cant make normal particles look sexy enough.

Lightweight
10-18-2009, 06:46 AM
Oh I just realized that I need to animate the fog in some way, which appears when adding value to "nonuniform". However, if the fog is supposed to move, what value do I keyframe? :I

Havent been lucky so far. I want it to look like moving fog :)

Aikiman
10-18-2009, 07:20 AM
..and to throw a spanner in the works...use a static fluid and animating texture along one of the axis or just texture time would be simple to set up.

If you wanted the fluid to interact with anything in your scene then make density and velocity dynamic. This method is a little bit more involved.

Lightweight
10-19-2009, 01:43 AM
I tried parti_volume, and it is GREAT in scenes where you only have 1 light, but as soon as there are more than 1 light it turns out bright or dark or with tons of artifacts. gah

tokanohanna
10-19-2009, 06:03 AM
Hey Lightweight,

Don't know if this will help but I did this dust test a while ago. It's a simplified scene, but you can take it further. It's a basic particle setup, with a poly plane that is instanced. No expressions needed. Just turbulence attached to add random movement. I also applied a phong shader with .8 transparency to the plane. The dust particles will only be visible in the light. Light fog/parti volume you can render out in a seperate file. I used basic maya software with raytracing. And light fog attached to the spotlights. Links to the render and scene file are below.

http://www.motionbox.com/videos/4c96d6b21b18e7c6c3
http://rapidshare.com/files/294920346/room_02.mb

Lightweight
10-19-2009, 06:06 AM
Hey Lightweight,

Don't know if this will help but I did this dust test a while ago. It's a simplified scene, but you can take it further. It's a basic particle setup, with a poly plane that is instanced. No expressions needed. Just turbulence attached to add random movement. I also applied a phong shader with .8 transparency to the plane. The dust particles will only be visible in the light. The light fog you can render out in a seperate file. Links to the render and scene file are below.

http://www.motionbox.com/videos/4c96d6b21b18e7c6c3
http://rapidshare.com/files/294920346/room_02.mb

Crazy-nice of you to take the time and do this =)
The first link, to the motionbox.com isnt working though.
Says its private.

tokanohanna
10-19-2009, 06:11 AM
Sorry man, had my filter on. It should be accessible now. By the way you could get some nice results in post as well. After Effects has some neat particle plugins. I thing "Particular 2" is out now. If you where interested.

Here is the movie, just incase you wanted to download it.

http://rapidshare.com/files/294919750/Dusty_Room.mov

Lightweight
10-19-2009, 06:19 AM
Still says:

The video you are trying to view is Protected, and can only be viewed by the owner and his or her Contacts. Are you one of those people? Sign in or register so we can let you in there.

Can u put it on Youtube perhaps? =)

tokanohanna
10-19-2009, 06:26 AM
That's odd. I thought I disabled my privacy settings. For now you can download it here.

http://rapidshare.com/files/294919750/Dusty_Room.mov

I'll try to get my account sorted.

Lightweight
10-19-2009, 09:07 AM
Whoa that is cool. I like it alot.
However, I hadn't heard of instancer until you mentioned it now so I looked it up in the help files, and from what I've read, I cant really grasp what it's doing hehe :)

Does the instance you did affect the color of the particles only? You put a Phong shader on a plane, and that color affects all the particles?
Also, does the standard "particleCloud" node always affect particles no matter what you do?
I wonder because when I rightclick the phong shader and click "select objects with material", it selects the plane only.
But when I do the same on the particleCloud shader, it selects the Dust Particleshape (the particle mesh that is).

tokanohanna
10-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Whoa that is cool. I like it alot.
However, I hadn't heard of instancer until you mentioned it now so I looked it up in the help files, and from what I've read, I cant really grasp what it's doing hehe :)

Does the instance you did affect the color of the particles only? You put a Phong shader on a plane, and that color affects all the particles?
Also, does the standard "particleCloud" node always affect particles no matter what you do?
I wonder because when I rightclick the phong shader and click "select objects with material", it selects the plane only.
But when I do the same on the particleCloud shader, it selects the Dust Particleshape (the particle mesh that is).

What the particle instancer is doing is basically taking the plane, and copying it to the location of all the particles in your scene. Good question regarding the Phong shader. Because the particles are instanced, the particleCloud shader has no affect on how the particles look. The particles will now obey all the shading attributes of your plane or object you are instancing.

CGTalk Moderation
10-19-2009, 04:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.