PDA

View Full Version : Demo Reel 2009

Escopos
10-16-2009, 01:25 AM
Compilation of some of the jobs I've worked on while at Method Studios and some personal stuff from VFS (vancouver film school). Many of the characters were modeled, rigged and animated by me. Hope you guys like it!

Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U8aAV4jvns

Silverwing
10-16-2009, 07:42 AM
A really nice reel you got there. Very well done. Great characters and great animation. Amazing looking pieces in there! Keep it up.

Cheers Silverwing

Escopos
10-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Thanks Rau! I'm glad you liked it!

Oh and yes, I'm moving to the East Coast now so if anyone has some good tips on VFX companies in that area, I'm open to suggestions ... specially in the Boston area. Thanks!

nakimushi
10-16-2009, 07:56 PM
wow - you have some really good quality there dude /
cant belive you modeled and rigged most of that creatures ;)
good luck !!!

RobertoOrtiz
10-17-2009, 03:07 AM
Great reel plugged.

-R

Heber
10-17-2009, 03:58 AM
yeah Floyd! great work as ive mentioned before dude. :)

gigan
10-17-2009, 03:59 AM
congrats floyd

great work as usual

Dare-o
10-17-2009, 04:00 AM
excellent!

Breoniks
10-17-2009, 04:52 AM
Finally!! ;) Looks great!

majid-smiley
10-17-2009, 05:45 AM
wow ! great reeeeel !

airstyle
10-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Great reel mate, some inspirational work in there!

Also, what's the name of the music track playing during your demo reel? I love it!

maxspider3000
10-17-2009, 10:30 AM
looks really great man, a so realistic creatures reel in the first place ...

so, any chance for breakdowns, more in-depth information about any shots ??

it would be appreciated :)

snowkiwi
10-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Great stuff Floyd.

webhead
10-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Great reel! I love the part with the little creature and the dog, then several of them surrounding a car. That's based on a giant Japanese monster isn't it? Could you give us more information on that project?
So, you are moving to Boston? I live in the greater Boston area myself, so welcome to the east coast. Are you coming here because of the growing film industry we're currently experiencing?

Daemonecles
10-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Such a quality reel. Makes me happy!

humo
10-17-2009, 05:31 PM
very good reel i liked it Floyd the best VFX reel i have seen ever
we need more from that let us enjoy :scream:

RockinAkin
10-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Awesome work man - really solid VFX. Especially liked that Audi ad with the room changing.

Whats the name of the music track if you dont mind sharing?

Escopos
10-17-2009, 06:44 PM
First of all, thanks to everyone for the kind words. I'm seriously flabbergasted and I feel honored. Was not expecting this at all.

so, any chance for breakdowns, more in-depth information about any shots ??
Probably no breakdowns ... I just barely managed to get the footage that I did and not all of it is at the best rezolution.

As far as info goes ... I think your about to get more than you bargained for right now :o) :

The Kangaroos: Wamu comercial _ I modeled (maya and zbrush), rigged and animated everything. Andy Boyd (http://www.andyboyd3d.com/animation.htm) was in charge of fur and rendering in Houdini.
I love the part with the little creature and the dog, then several of them surrounding a car. That's based on a giant Japanese monster isn't it? Could you give us more information on that project?
Yes it is!

Tiny Monsters: Ladders Job site _ The monster is actually called Guilala. This was a huge mix of live action footage and the CG monster I created. Lots of zbrush'n on this one, also used it for creating the textures. I didn't animate the first shot, that was done by Josh Fortwell who also did the rigging on this one. I did the animation on the car part. Two monsters on the car are CG the others are live action. On the explosion shot I animated the middle guy and the very end it goes back to live action. Its quite a mix.
For a real extensive look at this one you can check out Keith Aiken's interview (http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2009/02/05/guilala-american-commercial-spokesman/%20%20%20) with us. Lots of fun little spoof interviews and unused scenes (Trash bin scene was one I started animating but it got trashed itself).

Hedge Hog: Spontex _ I rigged and modeled the sponge but otherwise I mainly animated on this one. Once again Andy Boyd and Jack Zaloga (http://jackzaloga.com/) were at the head of fur and rendering the creature in Houdini.

Birds: Scotts Bird Feed _ Modelled, rigged and animated on this one (only didn't animate the last bird shot in the reel, that was done by Matt Longwell). This was the most challenging rigging experience I've had so far. Setting up a functional bird wing was much harder than I expected. I made one rig that could turn in to all the birds. Great time saver!

Monster with Muscle System: I call him Lexor (http://www.escopos.com/Reel/LexLrg.html) _ I made him for my VFS demo but only got this far on him right after I finished school. This was also my first contact with zbrush at the time.

Guy Falling down stairs: Levis _ I did all of the Endorphin setup and lots of animating afterwards. James LeBlock was responsible for all the other set ups (guy is a genious!) and Felix Urquiza did cloth and model. The guy is real before he falls and is real again when he gets up.

Walking Lips: xbox, Lips _ tracking, scene set up and animation except for lip sync.

Owl and Mouse: Bridgestone scream _ Rig for face, rendering and comp in after effects.

Living Room: Audi _ tracking and some projection texture work.

Crowd Zoom Out: Samsung _ Tracking and crowd animation. Unfortunately I couldn't find a better quality version of this one ...

Chase Zoom ins: Chase _ lots of tracking and recreating everything with matt paintings. Bank shot was mainly done by Chris Smallfield (http://www.spacemanchris.com/), I just did the track and set up on that one.

Nascar: Gatorade League of Clutch _ Everything except final color correction.

Mr Botatoe Head: For a Pitch _ This was a lot of fun and one of my personal favorites. I'll tell you why: only had an afternoon to rig and animate him but no pressure because whatever I could come up with would be better than just a still render. The best part was not having to go back to it over and over like in other projects.
Ok ... thats good for me. : )

Whats the name of the music track if you dont mind sharing?
Oh and the sound track is Sun Squal by Arthur Oskan vs Spiral In The Sun.

phoenix
10-17-2009, 07:00 PM
very nice work

regards

csmallfield
10-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Nice work! All while training for an Iron Man too! Amazing dude you are Floyd. It was fun working on some of those projects with you.

laters,
Chris

decent
10-19-2009, 01:23 PM
I must admit it.
Impressive piece of work

katon
10-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Dude floyd i love it! Awesome that you made all that. Tyler was telling me you are moving to the east coast! We will miss you man, sorry we didnt get to hang out more, but i will for sure let you know if I am ever in the boston area. Good luck finding a job, i am sure one will fall!

Alice
10-20-2009, 12:15 PM
awesome reel!
After seeing the brake down I feel a bit bad about saying how much I especially loved the fur on the belly of the hedgehog. It just looked so cuddly! ^^

sundialsvc4
10-20-2009, 01:38 PM
"Never underestimate the power of a cute little hedgehog." It gives a great beginning-to-end continuity with just the right dash of sly humor... "not too much." Great reel.

redtiger910
10-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Wow! Just AMAZING !! Great job.

joyologo
10-26-2009, 01:30 PM
great reel, nice works. thanks for share..

Conkrys
10-27-2009, 08:35 AM
Supercooool!

LosPescados
10-27-2009, 09:05 AM
Great Demo real! Fingrlikking quality!

Escopos
10-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Wow, once again, I'm amazed with the overwhelming response.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words! Hopefully I'll be able to improve on these skills as I go along! Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
10-27-2009, 05:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.