PDA

View Full Version : My 3D Environment reel | comments and crits are appreciated

Defonten
10-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Hi

I'd like to try myself in game-dev industry with this kind of demo reel. I know there's not much of actual gaming stuff in there, but that's all I have for this moment. Would like to hear your comments and crits about what is good and what is not. It's Mov file, approx. 12 Mb

http://defonten.az/Videos/EnvDemo.mov

Thanks in advance.

David-J
10-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Good stuff.

A couple of comments. First and foremost, make it bigger. It's so small right now you can barely see any detail in your work. Also I would add some music, something you like. I know a lot people watch them without sound or just scrub through them but at least give people the option. Another thing that I think it's very important make it way more clearer and with way more contrast what you did in very shot. Right now with that bar on top it's hard to tell most of the times.

Right now your reel looks really good but seems more oriented towards modeling for film or tv. You aren't showing any wireframes and you aren't showing environments or very detailed props. It seemed like there was a lot of work in your reel but most of it was very similar and focused on others stuff that according to your goal is not fitting this reel. Tailor it for what you want. If you want modeling for games then focus on the projects relevant for that.

I really liked your reel just sharing my opinion.

Cheers and good luck!

Defonten
10-16-2009, 02:58 AM
Thanks for your comments David! Yes, you're absolutely right. I think I have to create another reel and this time make it absolutely gamedev oriented. I'm not sure where to start from though.. may be I'll focus on making a couple of different genre 3d environments like say diablo style, destructed city\fallout style and so on.. Thanks for your comments!

CGTalk Moderation
10-16-2009, 02:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.