PDA

View Full Version : landscape with airships in sundown C&C wanted

jimsvanberg
10-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Hi!

This is a painting I'm doing for my portfolio. This is the black and white thumbnail that I've worked on to establish the composition. I would like to hear anything you guys have to say about it :)

I'm aiming for warm colors and an "epic" cloudscape. The airship in the foreground is just a placeholder. I will now start doing sketches to come up with a cool design for it. And I will post them in this thread too.

Gungrand
10-15-2009, 06:07 PM
I'm excited to see where this goes. everything looks great to me thus far.

jimsvanberg
10-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Ok, so this is my first sketches for the airship design, just trying to come up with ideas. Any thought on what is good/bad and so on here is highly appreciated. But keep in mind - the airship will be seen from the rear in the landscape. ^^

Gungrand
10-16-2009, 04:38 PM
i think number 7 would be the most interesting from the back. I'd like to see the weighted buoys (fenders if you're across the pond) of number 1 hanging from it though.

jimsvanberg
10-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Ok, great input thanks ^^

xs57
10-18-2009, 11:47 AM
I reall like the lightning and perspective of this, although i find the right on the left a bit disturbing. I think it's because that ridge (rock arch) is not pointing to the focus point of the picture.

Kind regards,
xs57

Gungrand
10-18-2009, 03:41 PM
in my opinion, that rock arch will work compositionally, as long as the area the rock arch leads too is pleasant enough for the eye to want to walk through on it's way north towards the focal point. some light soft valley or beautiful red rock.

PyrrhicComedy
10-18-2009, 06:50 PM
It's a beautiful sketch; I love the values. The only critique I would make is that I think the composition is a bit cluttered on the left compared to the right. I think if you move the one balloon set slightly to the right of the sun about an inch further right, it'd help to open up some breathing space in the middle of the canvas, and give a nice anchor to the right side of the picture.

Brownie3703
10-20-2009, 05:54 PM
I think it looks great so far. I would say maybe find an excuse to give the lower left area(maybe under the balloon) something bright to add contrast to that area. The whole painting seems a little split in half with light on top and dark on bottom. But I think its awesome. keep it up.

Gungrand
10-20-2009, 05:58 PM
I personally don't feel it's imbalanced because the focal point is on the right. It feels like the wrecked ship will be the center of focus.

I do agree that the bottom could use a bit more dark.
and that something should be added on the right that has some weight, i just dont think it should be as much weight as the air ship.

jimsvanberg
10-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks for your good opinions guys :D I will try to move the distant balloons around and see how it looks. Also, I think that a bit brighter highlights on the objects in the foreground will help with the bright/top dark/bottom problem. Hope to update tomorrow with some new stuff!

jimsvanberg
10-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Been working some more on the airship design and here is the result, still not 100% satisfied but I will get there. Thoughts and opinions are welcome of course :)

jimsvanberg
10-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Alright, so here are the color roughs I've made. I can't decide which one I like best yet :P Need to sleep on that. Please tell me which is your favorite? :)

Majora28
10-29-2009, 07:59 PM
I like the palette of no 2 and 7, no2 seems pretty peaceful when no7 is a bit more chaotic.

I'm def gonna keep an eye on this thread, keep it up!

Gungrand
10-29-2009, 09:19 PM
1, 5, or 7

granted they are all pretty similar.
but I like those best.

rago
10-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Like the 2nd palette, probably because I love green!
I like indeed the sketch but in my opinion there is far to much space on the left wich distracts the observer from the illustration's focal points...
But thi s is just me!)

Keep the good work!

zsurM
10-31-2009, 04:32 AM
Very nice - color version 01 appeals to my the eye the most but my eyes also seem to really enjoy over-saturation of the green from 02. Perhaps a mix would be suitable. Either way, it seems to be on right track for a strong piece. Look forward to your progress.

jimsvanberg
11-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks all for helping me choose, I have finally decided to go with no 7. I almost went with no2 but no7 it is :) I have made a quick mock up of the airship in Maya to help me out, but other then that I don't think I'll get much time to paint until the middle of next week =/ but then I'm going at it full throttle XD So stay tuned guys!

Katea
11-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Wow, nice :)
I would go with the palette of nr 7 but I would choose the bigger sun from nr 6 :)

jimsvanberg
11-12-2009, 04:06 PM
First pass on the landscape itself done ^^

CGTalk Moderation
11-12-2009, 04:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.