PDA

View Full Version : digital visual effects in film

a_saint
08-13-2003, 02:51 PM
Hi
I'm a 22 year old student from belgium. i'm writing a final paper to pass my last year i had to redo it during the summer hollidays :-(
I'm still looking for information on digital visual effects in film. Can anyone help me? some links, an oversight of the most important digital effects or of the main items,...?

It would help me a lot, thanks.

malducin
08-13-2003, 05:49 PM
There are tons of references. For starters there are many books, like Special Effects by Richard Rickitt, CG101, by Terrance Masson, the 2 ILM book, the Digital Dominja book, the one about matte paintings "The Invisible Art", the book by Blue Sky Studios, many Making of books, the digital compositing one by Ron Brinkman, intros to CG like the Isaac Victor Kerlow and Michael O'Rourke, The Art of Visual Effects one the VFX glossary by Karen Goulekas, just to name the more notable ones.

As far as magazines the two most important are Cinefex and CGW (you can get all the CGW articles online after a free registration). Other magazines inlcude American Cinematographer, Millimeter, Post magazine, Animation Magazine and 3D World magazine. Many of those have websites with many articles available online. AC and Milimeter probably have the best coverage.

There are countless of websites, VFXPro.com is the first choice. Be sure to check the VFXHQ for a good archive of articles from the late 90s. Websites such as this (CGNetworks), CGChannel, Deathfall.com and a few others have articles from time to time about VFX in movies.

That should kep you busy for a while ;-).

Signal2Noise
08-13-2003, 06:39 PM
Malducin has provided you with a great start in researching what you need. Get cracking!

If you were looking for someone to just hand you over the answers then I know why you're repeating classes. Tsk, tsk!:shame:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.