PDA

View Full Version : Showreel | Craig Penn

craigdpenn
10-14-2009, 09:52 PM
I've always been an avid viewer of all the varied and brilliant work on this forum so I'd like to post a link to mine now that I've finished it and would be interested to see what you think. It's my first showreel in over 5 years & I really enjoyed creating it. Please have a look if you've got a spare couple of minutes. Thanks in advance, Craig.

http://vimeo.com/7020377

I've also included a behind the scenes look at some work that went into my showreel and other little bits & bobs on the cutting room floor. Playblasts, motion tests, deleted shots, outtakes etc. This is in response to a request from Mickael (Mickatt), Paris, France & on reflection probably more useful to look at. There is also no sound unless relative to the shot.

http://vimeo.com/7325814 (http://vimeo.com/7325814) (Fixed the link)

http://sites.google.com/site/showreelimages/_/rsrc/1256813775565/home/canary.jpghttp://sites.google.com/site/showreelimages/_/rsrc/1256813832855/home/training%20robot.jpghttp://sites.google.com/site/showreelimages/home/underdog.jpg?attredirects=0http://sites.google.com/site/showreelimages/home/kreacher_motiontest.jpg?attredirects=0http://sites.google.com/site/showreelimages/home/kreacher_lipsync.jpg?attredirects=0http://sites.google.com/site/showreelimages/home/kreacher_outtake.jpg?attredirects=0

art_3d
10-15-2009, 07:54 PM
That's a great reel Craig.

Loved the squirrel shots, the shot of aslan landing was
the highlight for me. Very nicely done.

Top quality creature work.

Whitmire
10-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Great Reel.

You've worked on some impressive projects.

NickWhitmire
10-15-2009, 09:22 PM
That was ridiculously SICK. Loved your reel man. Awesome seeing all the animal stuff. Squirrels were my favorite part. Seriously seriously great. Track was cool too

Silverwing
10-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Wow this is just amazing. Phatastic scenes... great animations. Just Wow!!!
IŽd suggest frontpage!
Keep on rocking!

Cheers Silverwing

InDyJones12
10-15-2009, 11:41 PM
the aslan shot is breathtaking! and your reel is very impressive overall, youve worked on a lot of my favorite movies! haha, its like talking to a celbrity!.. kind-of. :buttrock: :bowdown: great stuff.

Remi
10-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Nice work, loved the bird in the titles. Some really fun projects to work on it looks like.:thumbsup:

craigdpenn
10-17-2009, 07:08 AM
Thanks a lot for spending the time to reply everyone above.

Art_3d & Nick Whitmire : The squirrels were my first project at Framestore & my favourite. Once you'd finished one you had to start on the next. Relentless. We were so sick of looking at squirrels by the end someone suggested going to London's famous Offal restaurant, St.John's, and ordering a plate for starters. Unfortunately they weren't in season at the time.

Brian Whitmire, Remi & InDyJones12 : The facilities in Soho London work on a large amount of high profile film content these days. When I first arrived in late 1997 the industry was predominantly still thought of as in L.A. So much so that I had started a resume to send to Blur Studios before I lucked a job at Millfilm. I've been in London ever since. I think all levels of industry talent here will find themselves working on impressive projects at some point. Your reel is beautiful on the eye also Brian. Blur Studios does incredible work.

InDyJones12 & Art_3d : The Aslan shot took a long time to create. The hardest part was the marrying of the background plate with the animation as one is obviously immovable. The shot was also helped a lot by Joe Thornley's dynamically simmed splash of leaves on impact. I originally started the shot in slow motion but found speeding up the plate, animating in real time then stretching out the animation again a better way for me to maintain a constant speed across the whole.

Remi : The bird animation was created for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. For reference we filmed a canary with a string tied to one leg and flying into a head wind produced from a huge fan at a thousand frames per second. I took sections of this and animated it in slow motion then squashed it all up into real time so the motion blur would create true arcs at render. The hardest part was creating a loop. Most of the scene was cut from the final edit of the film unfortunately.

Silverwing : Thanks for the big up mate. You keep on Rocking too!

Nick whitmire : The track was 'Solaris [avicii greets joia mix]' if you didn't catch it.

Thanks again!
Craig.

Jeremydjutras
10-17-2009, 03:48 PM
excellent work. The squirrel animation is just great, and the Aslan animations are beautiful...

webhead
10-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Some beautiful work! impressive body of work. :arteest:

EricDLegare
10-17-2009, 05:01 PM
The animations are really good but the presentation is EPIC :thumbsup:

The last animation felt a bit long at the end when they are so far that we can`t really see much, I think the reel could have ended after the ship sank, but hey, it`s the last animation so it`s not really a problem.

But the presentation, the editing, the cover, the fonts, everything looking good but are not distracting from the animations : nice job :thumbsup:

Lambchopo
10-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Very nice work Craig! Very inspirational. Your creature stuff is amazing.

ziggwies
10-18-2009, 02:05 AM
Nice reel Craig.

I particularly like the squirrel animations.

borisignjatovic
10-18-2009, 09:30 AM
WOW really amazing. Every shot is a peace of art for my eyes.

craigdpenn
10-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Jeremy Jutras, Webhead, Eric D. Legare, Lambchopo, Ziggwies, Boris Ignjatovic : Thanks very much for taking the time to take a look and post a reply guys.

Eric D. Legare : Regarding the Pegasi shot. My wife thought I should leave it at that length after I initially questioned it's timing & size on screen to. She reasoned it, as you have, as being the last parting shot, the end of the show reel. For me it also goes with the music bridge at that point.

Boris Ignjatovic : Animation is just one stage in the long process of finishing a shot. All these shots were made pieces of art by a long list of very talented people. Much appreciated all of you. You know who you are :)

thanks again,
Craig.

islam-henetar
10-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Amazing works, that's what I can say.

hugogt
10-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Beautiful reel, every shot is a small piece of awesome animation!

RobertoOrtiz
10-26-2009, 02:10 AM
Great reel, plugged!
-R

Buexe
10-26-2009, 04:27 AM
Simply outstanding!!! Congrats on the great work, hopefully you will share your next projects in less than 5 years with us : )

Daemonecles
10-26-2009, 05:52 AM
Amazing reel...really quite breathtaking and you have quite the cache of famous scenes under your belt. Working at Framestore must've been great/is great? I can't imagine how thinking up a locomotion setup for a made up creature like the pegasus must've been. Great job!

far
10-26-2009, 06:55 AM
pretty nice work, good luck with future projects :cool:

AVTPro
10-26-2009, 07:02 AM
Drop Jaw Work. Very inspirational. Thanks!!

rasmusW
10-26-2009, 08:48 AM
hey craig!

wow, that sure was a nice reel. congrats.
you really worked on some cool projects.

-r

mickatt
10-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Your reel contains some of the best vfx movies we seen this past years.
I am sorry but I don't like your reel because It's just a cut and past of this movies with a music on it.
I would love to see some transitions with wireframe of Aslan or the rig of the squirrel and so on...
I have no doubt that you are a great animator but this reel isnot original enough.

ps: sorry for my english

firstsingle
10-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Great work, Craig. Must have been really exciting working on these projects.

PaLantir
10-26-2009, 01:38 PM
All incredible work. I love the composition for your Showreel. Amazing :)
And i'm a big fan of all the movies you worked in. Fantastic!

i'm in love

Bravo!!!

decent
10-26-2009, 02:07 PM
As a freelance animator you got pretty impressive portfolio :D

Damn good

craigdpenn
10-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Wow! A little taken back by all the views. Thanks for the plug Roberto Ortiz. I didn't initially know what that meant?! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to let me know what you thought. Good & Bad. Really appreciated!

JackZhang
10-26-2009, 02:52 PM
That was ridiculously SICK. Loved your reel man. Awesome seeing all the animal stuff. Squirrels were my favorite part. Seriously seriously great. Track was cool too

HAHA! I love the ridiculously SICK part. SECOND ON THAT!

tempus
10-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Hey Craig. Awesome work, congrats!!.
Would you eventually available to give a conference or a small workshop?
I would like to talk to you to let you know some details in case you are interested.
Feel free to e-mail me to andriusgabriunas@hotmail.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/andriusgabriunas@hotmail.com)
Take care.

Congrats again, really impresive stuff you have.

Shibalba
10-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Phenomenal work craig, awe-inspiring, thanks for posting this.

punjabifrog
10-26-2009, 03:32 PM
ohhhhhhhhhh..... man, such an exciting demoreel. ya I agree i watched it again and again. and i will still love to watch it again..:).

God has gifted you with special vision. buddy

keep it up

Nitin kapoor

djwarder
10-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Great showreel mate! I feel honoured to be sat next to you and bring you fresh lattes when I go out for coffee! :bowdown:

phoenix
10-26-2009, 06:24 PM
Excellent work man :)

regards

Larry_g1s
10-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Wow, nice high end work there on your reel. Great job.

Matt Leishman
10-26-2009, 10:22 PM
kill the background music ... or at least turn it down. otherwise the presentation was very good and the work was impressive.

exigolight
10-26-2009, 10:54 PM
outstanding work from you sir. Keep it up.

Boucha
10-27-2009, 02:01 AM
Beautiful Reel :thumbsup:

MrPhil
10-27-2009, 03:47 AM
Lovely work mate! Miss you guys at framestore!
Hope you haven't forgotten me, i sat behind you on Caspian, good times :)
What are you working on these days, if you can say?

Phil To

craigdpenn
10-27-2009, 05:56 AM
Phil! We miss you too Pal! Looks like you're having a brilliant time at Dreamworks though. I keep seeing some beautiful photography of yours on Facebook mate. I'm currently working on the next Narnia after finishing up on Sherlock Holmes. You?

MrPhil
10-27-2009, 07:36 AM
Cheers mate, trying to keep myself busy and away from the compute when I can, photography's good for that!

Didn't realise they were doing another Narnia... glad they are tho, always lots of cool creature work

Working on Oobermind at the moment, due to come out late next year. It's going well and it's early days at the moment but lots of fun!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1001526/

Say hi to guys for me :)

Conkrys
10-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Very nice stuff! Awesome motion.

DimitrisLiatsos
10-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Excellent work...and i must say a most enjoyable reel too...some really hard work in there.

By the way , i loved your music selection very much too. I wish you more projects like those in your reel. Very inspiring. (i love the shot where the lion hits the rider....wow !! )

Snake Eyess
10-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Can i become your slave?? :blush:
that was AWESOME....some good inspiration right there.

Fatarion
10-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Nice showreel, what one has to do to land this kind of projects!??!

king21
10-28-2009, 10:10 AM
This is amazing reel Craig. Uau.
I Sure miss the old team from Framestore.

Jure

vrf
10-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Incredible work! One for us to keep coming back to. :thumbsup: (http://vancefry.com)

farhquad
10-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Hey monsieur Penn!

Cool to see some of the stuff that was being done in that cubicle is actually worth the effort ;)
kidding!

It's been a nice surprise to see your stuff up here in the front page. Well deserved I'd say for a guy with your huge talent. Although it'd be good to mention that you are as well a genius with the rigging and technical bits of cg animation.
It's this meaning that you are open for work offers?

I miss the old days and the little framestore family.

Although one tiny little crit... as someone said the latest shot is way too long for me. You could have squeezed some other shots instead and keep that one a little shorter.

Anyway... that's just me being picky and annoying.

Slap Arslan and Giro for being soo foul mouthed.

All the best for you and the missus mate!

ofn
10-29-2009, 03:54 PM
WoW very impressive .
Keep it up .

squall787
10-29-2009, 04:13 PM
I love the animation in your first reel, and would love to watch the 2nd link, but it takes you to a private video that i cant see :(

craigdpenn
10-29-2009, 06:03 PM
http://vimeo.com/7325814 (http://vimeo.com/7325814)

I fixed the link. Sorry about that...

craigdpenn
10-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Hey Santi & Jure! Man it's like the family getting back together again. I miss you guys too. So you're working on an animated movie Santi? What are you up to Jure?

Jure, I think we should have finished making our maya viewport editing suite! We were onto a winner there.

I'm not looking for any work at the moment Santi. Just updating things as it had been quite a while. I've had 2 people say the end shot is too long. I know it is but after consultation with my wife, Claire assured me that she liked it and I wasn't to shorten it.

I also had another comment about the music and another about it not having playblasts & controllers and things in it. I made an extra one with no music and just raw uncomped stuff to go along with the original Showreel.

It was fun to make though and I'm glad you enjoyed looking at it guys. Keep in touch!

Craig.

abonora
10-29-2009, 10:21 PM
insane reel Craig!
hopefully i ll get to see you in your homeland sometime!
keep up that superb work

Piramide
10-30-2009, 03:40 AM
very very great animation...
:) :bowdown:

googboog8
10-30-2009, 05:30 AM
that's some amazing work...

how many years of experience do you need to get this good :D

Finkle
10-30-2009, 05:32 AM
Very impressive showreel you have there. :) The quality of your work is top-notch and quite inspiring to me (and many, many others I'm sure)!

The only thing that stuck out negatively from the reel is the volume of your music - the Harry Potter lip sync work was a bit difficult to take in since I had a bit of trouble hearing the voices with the music overlapping them a tad.

Thanks for sharing this!

alaa-afifah
10-30-2009, 01:47 PM
good show reel and very interesting but.
i have one recommendation about the hat lip in Harry Potter Movie i feel it just move her mouth in random motion
keep...up

WyattHarris
10-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Great reel and I really loved the extras reel. Kreacher looked so happy at the end. :D

PeteS
10-31-2009, 02:07 PM
fantastic body of work! Congrats!

mickatt
10-31-2009, 04:39 PM
I just saw the new video and I can see the great work you did on this behind the scene.
I am really impressed when I see the low poly model you animate and how the final result look like.

Congrats for your great work

Mickatt

ps: sorry for my english

Paul4wood
10-31-2009, 11:34 PM
You lucky, lucky, very talented guy!
I loved the showreels.

loocas
11-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Amazing animation! Very well done! :buttrock:

Pixanaut
11-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Wow, great work mate. Really cool stuff.

Spin99
11-03-2009, 11:45 PM
I think outstanding is the word. And how high profile can someone's work be. Amazing.
I loved the Pegasi and Aslan simply for the choice of creatures.
Feel that the most awesome impressive part was the bird animations.

They're just outrageous imho Loved the raven btw.

Thanks for sharing some "reel" inispiration :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
11-03-2009, 11:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.