PDA

View Full Version : Extrude Section

ausietas
10-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Hi you all!

I'm quite new in Rhino and so in this Forum, so hi everyone first!

I belong to the architecture branch and I guess my question can sound a bit silly when compared with the complex modelling I've seen around, but here it goes...

I'm building a 3D structure and I've got already the axis. Through these I'd like to extrude some sections, which I've already got properly placed. The problem is that when I try to "extrude surface" -the section of the beam- it doesn't turn with the axis (which is curved) and has the same orientation on both ends of the axis. file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Ausietas/Mis%20documentos/Dibujo/Rhino/Foros/3D%20beam.jpgPlus, the section should decrease in size, so with "array along curve" I've made the end section a bit smaller than the beggining section.

I've tried and managed more or less by making each single face with the "sweep 1 rail" tool, but as there are many beams to be built, if there was a faster method that'd be great. I imagine that if I could extrude properly along the axis and then modify the ending section of the beam, that might work.

I don't know how it works but if I learn how I'll upload some screenshots so that you see what I mean.

Cheers and thanks!
Ausietas

conio
10-16-2009, 07:22 AM
Scrrenshots would be helpful, as I cannot really imagine what you're looking for...

ausietas
10-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Hi there, I tried to leave some screenshots but I can't, I don't know how to do that (and I'v been trying a while) but I'll keep trying.

Thanks anyway!

ausietas
10-21-2009, 02:39 PM
hi, I know it sounds fool, but I have no idea how to attach an image, I only get to attach something already uploaded somewhere else, ain't it possible to upload some pics from my computer?
sorry for my bloodyness and cheers!

biggestkid
10-21-2009, 09:40 PM
You cant directly link images from your hard drive, and if you could, you would get the s### hacked out of your computer.

Instead, upload the images to a free hoster, such as ImageShack or Photobucket, and then use the links they give you to post up your images.

ausietas
10-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Ok, so now here it goes (thanks for the tip about uploading images by the way :thumbsup:),

this is one of the beams of the stadium I'm building (I've isolated it to simplify):
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/6412/3dbeam.jpg

The start section is bigger than the end section, as you can see:
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9821/3dbeam01.jpg

And if I extrude one of the sections along the axis curve, ti doesn't fit at the other end and it has the problem that the section doesn't turn allong the curve, so the section is not really good:
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6332/3dbeam02.jpg

The only way I've so far found is to extrude each of the faces of the beam along the curve, taking as reference the starting and ending edges, but this is quite slow and as I've got to build quite a lot of beams, I was wondering if it was possible:

a) to do the sweep along rail with more than one edge at a time (when I've tried I get the "Unable to sweep - Two shapes are too close together." error, which wouldn't happen if the sections were circles or something rounded

b) to do the sweep along rail with the end and start section surfaces

c) anything else that'd make it faster

Look, here's a very rough shot of what I must acomplish, done just by extruding up and down and left and right the different axis. That's why I was wondering if I could just use one or two operations for each beam in stead of six to eight... I'm new with Rhino and I want to learn it good :blush:
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8100/3dbeam03.jpg

So, I think now this looks like more like a post, any help would be great!

cheers and thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
10-22-2009, 10:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.