PDA

View Full Version : ZBrush or Autodesk Mudbox?

nafrenchfry
10-13-2009, 08:16 PM
I'm just starting out in CG, and I was wondering which program is better: Autodesk Mudbox or ZBrush? I read this thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-470962.html) posted back in 2007, but I was wondering what your more up-to-date opinions are? Thanks!

RichardMarklew
10-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Which is better, an apple or a banana? You can only tell be tasting them. Try the demos and decide for yourself. The demo for zbrush is only version 3.1 so does not have the latest features of the recent version 3.5. Still awaiting the release of the demo but look at some of the feature vids on the pixologic zclassroom site.
Note that Mudbox relies on your graphics card so a honking fast card, will give you better performance. For ZBrush, it relies on cpu and ram so is not reliant on your gpu hardware.

Richard

JuanManuel
10-14-2009, 05:34 AM
Also check on the cost of keeping the software up-to-date. Till now, all Zbrush updates have been free, I'm not sure that is the case with mudbox.
And don't forget 3d-coat.

ddg
10-16-2009, 12:27 AM
I also am looking to buy either mudbox or zbrush. I will use their demos in about 2 months, but for now I am deep into learning Maya. I have a long way to go before I can expand into mud or zbrush. Also they say that zbrush 4 is to be released in the next few months. Any idea on what they will be adding to the existing package?

CGTalk Moderation
10-16-2009, 12:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.