PDA

View Full Version : "MR physical light sahder only designed for DGS and Dielectric"

royter
10-13-2009, 08:06 PM
i just learned from mental images that the MR physical light shader is only supposed to be used with the DGS and dielectric materials and does not work properly with other shaders
As usual, not a single word in the maya's documentation neither in training materials from 3rd parties. So since everybody moved to the mia_material this shader is completly usless wich is too bad because it was supposed to let users to get physical or photorealistic resluts.

ytsejam1976
10-13-2009, 08:15 PM
The answer is: All new in mental ray is designed for 3dsmax and not for Maya. On Maya is all an experiment not good like Max.

Dangertaz
10-13-2009, 10:00 PM
The physical light will only illuminate DGS and Dialectric materials properly? I thought it was ok with the MIA...what seems to be off/incorrect?

BTW is there a difference between the Physical light and a regular (spot, area, etc) light with quadratic decay?

djx
10-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Yes, I'm interested in what they said too. What is the problem?

Because I've used physicalLight and mia in almost every render I did in the last year, and was very happy with the results - until now :curious: (only joking - I'm still happy).

Just recently I started using wombats archLight instead, and so far I think this is a good replacement - actually its a big improvement. (Right now there is a problem with 2010 and light profiles - but I'm sure that will be sorted in the next update)

-- David

wombat778
10-14-2009, 12:15 AM
(Right now there is a problem with 2010 and light profiles - but I'm sure that will be sorted in the next update)

Hi David,

Stay tuned. With any luck I will have a version of wom_archlight that works with 2010 by the end of the week. Sorry for the delay...

InfernalDarkness
10-14-2009, 06:32 AM
The physical_light shader was necessary for volumetric photon materials to work properly (parti_volume_photon) and it does work, and has for a few years. At least since Maya 6.

I don't know what else it's good for, since that's all I've ever used it for. Physical sun/sky works much better for my arch/viz crap, anyway.

CGTalk Moderation
10-14-2009, 06:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.