PDA

View Full Version : Playing uncompressed D1 Pal Avi or Quicktime

Deam
08-13-2003, 08:12 AM
Hello,

I was wondering if I want to play uncompressed D1 PAL Quicktime or Avi movies, will this be possible on the current systems, ofcourse If I equip them with a raid system...

I was thinking of a Raid card with 4 SATA drives connected (I am on a budget)

A few years ago I had a DPS perception but I sold it... but maybe it will work with this new technology....

Help appreciated!

Thanks

Oliwood
08-13-2003, 10:04 AM
Hi Deam,

have a look at the Decklink cards of Blackmagic Design (http://www.decklink.com/ ), which offer 10 bit SDI uncompressed video starting at a price of $995 :eek:

Hope that helps

imashination
08-13-2003, 12:11 PM
2x 7200rpm drives in a raid 0 will play uncompressed pal dv footage through avi or qt.

danylyon
08-13-2003, 12:33 PM
I've got a Dual Xeon 3.06Ghz with a SATA Raid.. two Seagate's with 8mb ram. They make about 60mb/s.

The good news: I can play uncompressed AVI's.. (I think they are around 30mb/s)..

The bad news: I cannot play uncompressed QuickTimes (Animation codec) running at around (20-30mb/s). After a while they always start to stutter (unless it's just some graphics -> bigger compression). I'm using QT 6.

I really don't know why :shrug:

I've got the intention Apple is slowly making QuickTime onusable on a PC.

You might be fine with 4 Drives.. but on the long run.. I'd recommend you to either use AVI only or a MAC (you can play an uncompressed QuickTime on a new mac without a raid).

If you want to play it out to Digibeta or something like that.. you will need some special hardware. Like the Decklink mentioned.

Deam
08-13-2003, 12:48 PM
First it is only for view it on the computer only, don't need to output it to tape.... (tape do we still need it :) )

danylyon: Strange about the quicktime thing... Just a guess, maybe quicktime uses somekind of buffer, I suppose in a dual Xeon you have a lot of RAM (Large Buffer) so after a while the buffer is empty... and It starts to stutter...

I was planning to use this software:
http://www.kcira.com/play.htm

Thanks for the info guys!

danylyon
08-13-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Deam
danylyon: Strange about the quicktime thing... Just a guess, maybe quicktime uses somekind of buffer, I suppose in a dual Xeon you have a lot of RAM (Large Buffer) so after a while the buffer is empty... and It starts to stutter...
Well.. yes, that's what happen.
But that doesn't explain it, that there's no buffer underrun with avi's, which run at the same mb/s.
On a sidenode.. if I try to run the said AVI in QuickTime.. it starts to stutter too.

So.. the problem IS the QuickTime player.

It's probably very badly coded.

Anyway.. we shall be happy that there's a QuickTime player for PC at all.

I was planning to use this software:
http://www.kcira.com/play.htm[/B]
As far as I've read about it on that page.. it only plays image sequences.. but it does it well.. it has a good buffer and such.

Deam
08-13-2003, 01:14 PM
Isn't there an other quictime capable player for the PC?

Yes the program only plays imagesequences for now, but for Avis I can use the Mediaplayer.. or any other. (except the Quicktimeplayer... :) )

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.