PDA

View Full Version : Devry VS. AI?

fw
10-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Well i went to my interview today at Devry University.. kinda seems like a good program they focus more on a broad scheme in the field of Multi Media Design, a possibility of getting hired right away because they build a foundation for everything but they might not emphasize to much on 3d just a little.

I have a interview for the art institute (media arts / animation) on the 21st i think they focus mainly in one area though, and im not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing. It seems like the wise choice would be devry, but for some reason it doesnt feel right.

If anyone has any input please suggest :)

Ohh yeah im based in Denver, Co.

fw
10-13-2009, 08:22 AM
i dont even know the difference between multimedia design and media arts/animation. LOL!!!

eddc86
10-13-2009, 08:36 AM
I went through the Media Arts and Animation program at Ai(Schaumburg,IL), you get a little taste of everything your first year and half(e.g. sound, motion graphics, graphic design, drawing, film, photography, 2D, 3D, image manipulation, editing, etc.). The rest of your time there you take your core classes that relate to your major, most of your first year classes are sort of preparation for your core classes. As for DeVry, they have just now in the past couple years expanded into Entertainment and new Media, so their program I would think will be lackin polish and experience. Ai programs vary though, The school I went to(schaumburg campus) had a very strong 3D and Animation departments(we had students competing at a Siggraph comps two years in a row), but the Chicago campus lacked in that area, which they made up by having a strong Fashion and Culinary Arts program. So you never know what you get with Ai. Check out Ai, get a tour and see student work.

eddc86
10-13-2009, 08:50 AM
a possibility of getting hired right away because they build a foundation for everything but they might not emphasize to much on 3d just a little.

Knowing a little bit of everything, but not excelling at no one thing is not going to work in your favor. You will get hired because you are good at ____ and will fit in that one department they need you in. No studio is going to hire a fresh grad that kinda knows a little bit of everything and trust him/her with completing a project from a-z, but I guess this applies more to gaming, animation, 3D and amount of talent.

fw
10-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Ty for the input i appreciate it.. im pretty sure AI is going to be my decision :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-13-2009, 09:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.