PDA

View Full Version : Test renders from Studio Rev9a

rnb2
08-13-2003, 05:50 AM
First of two:

AthlonXP ~1.75GHz, 1Gb ram

GI (Monte Carlo) + Panel light, raytraced volumetric shadows, soft reflections. Render time just over 5 minutes - most of this is due to the large area of shadow and reflection that needed to be antialiased (by far the slowest part of the render).

Apologies for the low quality upload - a better version is in the Photos\Rick's Renders folder on the pmGmessiah Yahoo list site.

rnb2
08-13-2003, 05:53 AM
2nd of two.

Render time about 3 minutes - bumped the AA up to 3 (default is 2) to clean up the shadows a bit. Same basic setup as previous picture. Again, higher quality version is on the Yahoo site.

Facial Deluxe
08-13-2003, 08:39 AM
Aaaaaah renders ! :D
So what's your feelings compared to LW ?
Slower / faster ?
Better ?
how is this AAliased ? several passes as LW does?
etc...

Than rnb2

rnb2
08-13-2003, 01:23 PM
To be honest, I haven't used recent versions of LW enough to really compare, though there are obvious differences. Messiah renders the whole frame from the bottom to the top, a scanline at a time (though I don't know if that makes it a scanline renderer or not). It anti-aliases in one pass, again one scanline at a time, bottom-to-top.

I believe that it is faster at Global Illumination renders than LW, and certainly seems to be easier to set up, and it also seems to render GI cleaner with less effort. It also does really nice soft-edged raytraced shadows very quickly and easily - so much so that I don't find myself missing shadow maps all that much at the moment.

I still need to do some work with more complex lighting setups, as well as some interior renders to test the photon mapping GI render (as opposed to the Monte Carlo GI in the tests I posted). Initial impressions are very, very good, and I'm looking forward to seeing what improvements are made before the Final.

Facial Deluxe
08-13-2003, 01:50 PM
Ahhh good all scanline :)

About the shadow maps, are you saying there is now shadow map light in Messiah ??

rnb2
08-13-2003, 02:30 PM
At the moment, no shadow maps - I haven't heard (or just don't remember) if that will change. Wegg may know, as he mentioned it in another thread.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.