PDA

View Full Version : New Gnomon DVD: Advanced Sprite Rendering with Andrew Orloff

Leonard
08-13-2003, 03:48 AM
The Gnomon Workshop has released a new addition to their Dynamics training DVD library for Alias Maya. 'Dynamics, 14: Advanced Sprite Rendering' includes 120 minutes of instruction, project files, lecture notes, resource spotlights and bonus materials. DVDs are priced at $69 each and may be purchased at The Gnomon Workshop website. This DVD was produced by Andrew Orloff, principal and VFX supervisor at Zoic studio. As always, the objective of the new DVD is to explain the tools, with a focus on workflow, using a wide range of examples.

"We are very excited to have produced such an in-depth lecture," explains Alex Alvarez, director of the Gnomon Workshop. "Andrew is an industry veteran who has played the role of artist, technical director and now VFX supervisor. He is also an excellent instructor, who through this DVD is sharing several techniques that have been used is a diverse range of visual effects shots over his career."

Dynamics, XIV: Advanced Sprite Rendering
By allowing image sequences to be mapped onto dynamic particle animation, sprites are one of Maya's most powerful production tools. Imagine creating a scene that includes a cheering crowd with hundreds of people that you can playback in real-time. Thought this was only the territory of huge visual effects companies with loads of firepower? Not anymore. No other technique allows you to create such complex images with an ultimate degree of control. Want to adjust the lighting of the crowd? How about changing the terrain they are standing on? With sprites, it's not a problem. Using a few expressions and unique workflows, you will learn how to get the most out of your sprite scenes and your animations will never be the same again. Examples include wind blown seed pods, a sea of microbes, depth-of-field effects, tossed coins and crowd simulations.

For more information, as well as screen shots, please visit the Gnomon Workshop website.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com

madmanmagic
08-13-2003, 06:21 PM
Looking forward to this one!

I just got through Dynamics 12 and 13, which are both excellent discs.

Great work Andrew!

Any word on future releases of Gnomon Training DVDs?

I am personally waiting on a DVD that would show how Alex modeled Zufur in subDs!

Any chance on advanced character modeling using CPS/SubD/Polys?

Keep the DVDs coming!
Dan

onlooker
08-13-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by madmanmagic
Looking forward to this one!

I just got through Dynamics 12 and 13, which are both excellent discs.

Great work Andrew!
Dan

Are you ready to sell them? I have yet to pick those two up.

noxy
08-13-2003, 07:11 PM
This is likely pretty good

I had Andrew as a teacher at Gnomon for advanced dynamics (the only class I took there since I was working). Although I already knew particle stuff pretty well, he was able to offer new insights and techniques, since he has a lot of real world experience to base his knowledge off of. He's also an engaging speaker, unlike some other people who have made tutorial dvds.

Noxy

CGmonkey
08-13-2003, 08:05 PM
noxy - I agree, I thought Jeremy Engleman on the Rendering dvd's were a bit boring to listen to. Even though he knew what he was doing, it felt uninspiring to listen to.

But I'm looking forward to the new ones!! :D

SDIT
08-15-2003, 07:29 AM
very cool. i bought 2 dvd's @ siggraph (expressions & constrains) and they were awesome. Now i need some on dynamics :)

keep 'em comin
:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.