PDA

View Full Version : Character Concepts, Mr_joshua (2D)

nizzi
08-13-2003, 03:08 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/2625/JN-Awakening_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/2625/JN-Awakening.jpg)

character concept for a game proposal mixing guns and psychic powers - it would have been cool, too bad somebody else thought of it first. :(

http://joshnizzi.home.insightbb.com/images/JN-Awakening4.JPG

mech pilot - the body suit acts as a second skin, relaying sensory information to and from the mech

http://joshnizzi.home.insightbb.com/images/JN-fem01e.JPG

heavy armor space marine

http://joshnizzi.home.insightbb.com/images/JN-Soldier013j.JPG

Titan
08-13-2003, 03:26 AM
hey man
these are great
..you work for Volition , right..
I think I saw these and met with you when I interviewed with volition back in February....awesome work man
I especially like the first guy...
is that a painted photoshop piece?
If youre the same guy I remember meeting back then, you showed me your sketchbook and had some incredible drawings in there...loved it...
good to see you here.:)

ICY
08-13-2003, 03:50 AM
Nice! So, what about the interview? Did you get the job?

Titan
08-13-2003, 04:10 AM
To tell you the truth , I dont know what happened.
the interview seemed to go really well...and Honestly Josh here was by FAR the coolest guy I met there, he talked to me forever and showed me all sorts of cool stuff.

well it ended on a good note and the guy who was driving me back to the airport( kelly snapka, I think) seemed impressed and was telling me that everyone that met me spoke highly of me. He Said that they had a couple other candidates to interview and that he would let me know something good or bad inside of 2 weeks.
Time came and went and I sent a few unanswered emails..and never heard anything from them...:hmm:

but it turned out mostly good....shortly thereafter I got a contract concept gig on Unreal 2K4( several character teams and variations of each), which I just finished...so I'm now looking for something else....not sure what the future holds at the moment.. :shrug:

azazel
08-13-2003, 08:24 AM
Mech pilot is great. I have one crit about first one - shadows under his feet make his feet look very large, even if it's only illusion.

Edouard
08-13-2003, 11:26 AM
nice work

Supervlieg
08-13-2003, 11:26 AM
Great style. No crits whatsoever

Gregwid
08-13-2003, 11:31 AM
Pretty nice,there's still room for these guys.:beer:

samtack
08-13-2003, 11:34 AM
mmmmmmm....body suit...oh ya great work!

and yes the shadow under the feet on the first one does look weird///maybe angle them a bit or sumthing..but i think if you got rid of them altogether it would hurt the piece at all

mehdianim
08-13-2003, 11:41 AM
Great stuff. Beautiful renderings, I'd like to see the sketches for those.
I agree that the warrior's feet get lost in the his shadow, another hue for the shadow would easily fix that though.
Body suit for mechs, you must be a Shirow fan too :beer:

sablebrush
08-13-2003, 11:43 AM
Great works
very successful
Congratulation :applause: :beer:

NelsonInomvan
08-13-2003, 11:57 AM
great work man. Man the first pic rocks :thumbsup:
and about the second pic i really don't have words for it :)

Werner
08-13-2003, 12:00 PM
Oooooo, these are beautiful! Great work Mr_Joshua :buttrock:

couple of comments.... like azazel said about the shadow under the foot (1st pic). As for the heavy armor space marine. I would scale the feet up a bit. They look a bit small for the heavy upper body.

The Mech pilot looks awesome ....very sexy :drool:

ShinChanPu
08-13-2003, 12:00 PM
:thumbsup: Great work!!! The second one is my favourite... maybe the colours... maybe the curves...

ManuelM
08-13-2003, 12:06 PM
although i`m normally not a big fan of the "sci-fi chick with perfect body" style, i must confess, that i really love your second design.

the only thing i have to criticize is the background of the first images, which lokks to me too similar like some photoshop filters and therefor destroys the handmade feel of the image.

nevertheless, i wish, i had only a fraction of your drawing skills.

ivo D
08-13-2003, 12:11 PM
truely amazing.. , its a pitty.. you wurnt the first to come up with that idear :P

goodlag
08-13-2003, 12:29 PM
very nice concepts

i love it

peekoot
08-13-2003, 12:31 PM
great work... really like it...:thumbsup:

first character is by far my favorite... reminds me of movie "dune"... he has that feel of fremmen (i hope it is spelled that way) soldier... very nice...

about that heavy armor marine... if it is human beneath armor there might be some problems with proportions... and i would do something with that free hand... it looks kind of unfinished to me...

Mindmatter
08-13-2003, 01:10 PM
The colors on the mech pilot are just superb but the one i like the most is the heavy armor space marine (I have a soft spot for power armors). Looks lethal :)

Excellent work you did on RF2 btw. The Sopot Military power suit is one my all time favourit mech designs.

The Magic Pen
08-13-2003, 03:24 PM
Awesone work, great style !!

WhiteBlaizer
08-13-2003, 03:33 PM
Nice Work Joshua, i have not critics, i'm a fan of Red Faction! hehe :beer:

ufo
08-13-2003, 03:51 PM
I like comics , I like your work .
something like 3D + 2D .

davidSingha
08-13-2003, 04:25 PM
Sweeeet!!!

cheers!:beer:

luima
08-13-2003, 06:45 PM
great work!!

jadedchron
08-13-2003, 07:18 PM
eh the first one is kinda 'wishy washy' in comparison with the second and third. his right arm's outter bicep edge seems a lil too straight and i'm no fan of that background. i think if you put as much time into it as the 2nd and 3rd then it would be good. awesome drawings dude.:thumbsup:

akela
08-13-2003, 07:59 PM
very nice concept-art ... I also checked your website... I liked very much almost all the 2D images and their translation to 3D :thumbsup:

Blackarts
08-13-2003, 09:13 PM
these look great!

I have a few minor crits;

pic1; not a huge fan of the BG at tighter more graphical BG like in your other peices would have worked better I think

pic3; the mechs feet look a little dainty which detract from his toughness a bit. Adding a shadow on the ground would give the character more wieght.

I like them though, nice stuff.

Geco
08-13-2003, 10:25 PM
amazing. :)

Brown_V
08-13-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by ivo D
truely amazing.. , its a pitty.. you wurnt the first to come up with that idear :P

And even more of a pitty Midway did :hmm:

Very nice. :D

Draco-84
08-13-2003, 11:57 PM
Cool!!
All three images saved!
Very Nice Work! First character is way cool!
Very intimidating! :thumbsup:

AnimaLMotheR
08-14-2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Mr_Joshua
mech pilot - the body suit acts as a second skin, relaying sensory information to and from the mech

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. ;)

napalm
08-14-2003, 12:40 AM
My favourites are the first pic (the attitude and the lighting are gret) and the space marine (the metal texture looks quite realistic).
Definitely a professionnal work ;)
Good luck for the following, dude.

Blackhorse
08-14-2003, 12:58 AM
man, that's rock!
impression, and inspiration

thanks for share them with us.:thumbsup:

???
08-14-2003, 01:00 AM
:thumbsup:

Ebola0001
08-14-2003, 02:28 AM
i thought i saw that before...

the second pic looks alot like...

http://www.woodrell.com/joe/gozer.jpg

gozer the gozarian from ghostbusters...

that said awesome shading on the plastic on the bodysuit really like it

onlooker
08-14-2003, 02:57 AM
There is no onlooker. Only Zool!:buttrock:

Andy741
08-14-2003, 04:27 AM
On the second one...her cheekbones nicely accentuate her facial structure.

spoony_bard
08-14-2003, 04:53 AM
These are really good!
I have one minor criticism, though: the girl's derriere looks a bit... droopy to me, although this may be because of the lines of the plugsui-er, the body suit.
Nice job.

Lunatique
08-14-2003, 04:57 AM
Excellent work. Volition's lucky to have you.

Blackrainbow
08-14-2003, 08:40 AM
Whooaaa!!!, these concepts are amazing!!

:applause:

nizzi
08-14-2003, 03:07 PM
Thanks so much for all the kind words and crits.

Manuel M: Backgrounds are an area that I want to improve on. It's a challenge to come up with something that adds mood and accentuates the character but doesn't distract from it. My newer, more finished concepts have full backgrounds, but I'm still trying to develop things. I actually really liked how the background on the first one turned out though. I thought it looked like psychic forces but also helped to draw the eye into the character. I didn't use any filters on that one, just a brush and smudge. :)

Ebola0001: That is hilarious, it's even the right color! I liked how the material on the suit turned out as well. I used the same technique on that Wonder Twins redesign I did in May. I have a step by step for this image, but I don't think I want the booty girl to become my defining piece. :)

Werner: I purposefully made the feet small and played with the proportions in order to give it a more nimble feel and unique profile from a distance. I pictured these guys kind of bouncing around when they moved and then firmly planting to fire. There would be light trails from the eyes and from the energy generators on the back. I thought it would look kind of elegant and creepy at the same time.

wahahaha
08-14-2003, 03:59 PM
awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

wanted 2 see more of ur work!!!! can i???? do u hav any online portfolio o personal page where i can see your other works?? :drool:

Wonderer
08-14-2003, 09:40 PM
Great work! Loved the girl in the mech suit, she rocks!:buttrock: :buttrock:

dudeguy
08-14-2003, 10:57 PM
Really nice work and on your website. It's really impressive when you have strong concept art, but it's even more impressive when the 3d models turns out better and are very efficient. :thumbsup:

Hollis J Wood
08-15-2003, 05:09 AM
That female mechpilot would look really good with my Timberwolf, fantastic work

Teckniel
08-15-2003, 03:39 PM
wow very nice concepts eum and i got a quation are there drawings of the gun cause i really like it and i would like to model that :)

phoenix
08-15-2003, 07:57 PM
very nice..........i love the blue suit of dame:thumbsup:

Tidus_44
08-18-2003, 12:11 AM
I THINK YOU DID AN INCREDIBLE JOB, I LUV THE DESING OF THE PILOT SHES AMAZING, (AND HOT 2) LOL, WOW:buttrock:

lildragon
08-23-2003, 12:12 AM
Great style and work here, I absolutely love the first pic (although the pose is neutral) but the Mech pilot gets all the props here :) very nice. I'll add those to the gallery.

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Nice work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_aug03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

supaflai
12-14-2004, 03:13 PM
I like the style of your work, unfortunately, there is only 1 image visible on this thread anymore, is there a website that you post to that I could see some of the rest of your work or the other pictures from this thread?

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.