PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Ball of Paper Ncloth

mightcouldb1
10-12-2009, 02:09 AM
I was trying to create a giant rolling ball of paper using a sphere with ncloth as the base and then rolling over a bunch of ncloth planes with a high stickiness. This seems like it would work in theory but I cant get the cloth to stick the way I want it to. Also, the cloth seems to stick to favor sticking to the ground and not to my rolling ball. Anyone have any suggestions for this?

Cheers,
Jason

john_homer
10-12-2009, 04:05 AM
Also, the cloth seems to stick to favor sticking to the ground and not to my rolling ball. Anyone have any suggestions for this?

Cheers,
Jason

have you turned the stickyness for the ground down to 0?
the stickyness between 2 object is the result of both of there stickyness values multiplied.

you can also do stickyness by making a componentToComponent constraint with maxDistance and glue strength... this may give you more control

.j

mightcouldb1
10-12-2009, 09:56 AM
have you turned the stickyness for the ground down to 0?
the stickyness between 2 object is the result of both of there stickyness values multiplied.

you can also do stickyness by making a componentToComponent constraint with maxDistance and glue strength... this may give you more control

.j

Hey John, Thanks for the reply. I tried to turn my stickiness on the ground plane to zero and the other objects to a higher number(higher than 1 will stick to the ground plane) but didn't have much luck. I tried the componentToComponent constraint with max distance and glue strength. It seems to work OK, but I really have to subdivide my geometry a ton to get good results and that slows down my sim a lot. I have a scene file here that I was playing around with. Ultimately I'd like to just run the ball down a plane and have it pick up all of my geometry without having to babysit it too much. Any more help you can give would be awesome.

Cheers,
Jason

HowardM
10-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Do you really need the ball itself to be ncloth?

Fooled around with your scene for 15 mins, made the ball a Rigid and hand animated it... messed with a bunch of the other Stickiness and Friction, and added a negative Force Field Generator to kinda suck the paper into the sticky ball.... try this scene out... to make the paper stick more turn up the FF magnitude...

If you must have the ball be dynamic, you can also make it a Rigid Body...

I doubt you can get something physically accurate with just ncloth and stickiness because each objects stickiness will mix and fight each other... like john said, you could do constraints but would have to either hand animate the glue timed correctly or perhaps make an expression that would work based on distance to the ball...

CGTalk Moderation
10-12-2009, 03:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.