PDA

View Full Version : Above & Beyond, Azazel (3D)

azazel
08-12-2003, 09:40 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/1294/abovebeyond_azazel_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/1294/abovebeyond_azazel.jpg)

Just got some time to finish my old (almost a year or so) cgchallenge entry - Above & Beyond one. Textured the vehicle, added the pilot, and rendered it all. Here's the effect:

Whole background is painted ;)

3DArtZ
08-12-2003, 09:48 PM
Hey neat picture. It's put together very well. I like the ruff look to the image. Grainy?
I do have a mechanical critique. I don't imagine a man or any other living creature could sit next to an engine of that size. I gather that the engine is one long tube, and if so, the cockpit has the engine's body ridding shotgun.
Other than the mechanical issue, I like the work.
Good job!
Mike Fitz

Chapt0r
08-12-2003, 10:14 PM
No crits, but wanted to say awesome concept and great rendering. .. :thumbsup:

Nelis
08-12-2003, 11:01 PM
looks very cool,

im stunned, nice composition and very cool background. it has the precise atmosphere it needs
i also like how the lights shine into the night.

very good work

greets niels

azazel
08-13-2003, 09:33 AM
3DArtZ: Thanks. There are probably more mechanical issues. To change the one You are speaking about I'd probably have to change whole design ;) As for grain, some comes from ambient occlussion pass (which I rendered with quite low sampling to save time), some comes from my way of painting (on bg mostly), and some comes from rain.

Chapt0r: Thanks.

Nelis: Thanks.

mo_pic
08-13-2003, 10:43 PM
This supposed to be on front page!
Wake up mods!

All I see lately on the front page is 2d and concept art. And some pics are just average.

Azazel: I would see the pilot as an old, crazy veteran of the skies. But the picture is great, even if that rookie is the pilot.

Great job! :buttrock:

dimitrios_c
08-14-2003, 02:52 AM
Beautiful piece of work, and most notably excellent mix of painted background and 3D foreground....yes this should be front page. :thumbsup:

DeathBrain
08-14-2003, 03:29 AM
Looks really cool :cool:, i like this concept.
"Back To The Future IV" :thumbsup:

swag
08-14-2003, 03:30 AM
a&b so long ago what a beautyfull finish - i like it -

igorstshirts
08-14-2003, 03:50 AM
The rain infront of the lights... Very nice.

timshim
08-14-2003, 04:17 AM
hey azazel, cool artwork. loved the almost watercolour quality to it.

keep up the good work.

luima
08-14-2003, 04:27 AM
i like your style!!

ElKrullo
08-14-2003, 04:46 AM
This is great stuff!
I love the imaginative design, and the whole mood of the image.
Thanx for showing it! :)

tomb
08-14-2003, 04:51 AM
Nice work azazel! Even the 3D has a very painterly look to it. Keep it up

goodlag
08-14-2003, 06:19 AM
cool work:thumbsup:

lol concept:beer:

friendlymike
08-14-2003, 06:53 AM
ahhh front page, well deserved - picture gets your imagination going....

great stuff

DimitrisLiatsos
08-14-2003, 08:12 AM
azazel ..i am happy for u man...this render does make a lot of justice to your work...excellent piece man!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DoLeeP
08-14-2003, 08:17 AM
Nice work I say and great background :thumbsup:

mattmos
08-14-2003, 09:24 AM
The atmosphere you've created is wonderful, with the slight rain infront of the lights and general texture of the image. No real crits, the rotor blades should have a little more blur perhaps?

Nice work, deserved front page stuff :beer:

CarlCampbell
08-14-2003, 10:44 AM
I really like the finish! Was there much post-PS work? How did you do the volume lights?

baby
08-14-2003, 10:57 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Virtuoso
08-14-2003, 11:06 AM
Hi Azazel..............I can recall this from back in the old days................;)

It's very nice to see you bring back this creation.I am happy to see it get the finishing touchs,Ver nice work.Two thumbs up,I really like the style and look along with the very nice modeling.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PotatoHead
08-14-2003, 11:17 AM
hey, nice work azazel! although it was unfinished it still scored pretty well on the challenge (it came in 4th AFAIK) - i agree with mattmos about the blurriness of the rotors, but besides that, there isnt anything to crit! killer concept, brilliant textures....:buttrock:

MFTituS
08-14-2003, 11:32 AM
it looks really good.
i like the atmosphere, the grain, the idea - great!

prayas
08-14-2003, 12:45 PM
Finally! Man remember it well from the challenge. I think the last chalenge i participated.

Front page deserved very well.

P..:

Kel Solaar
08-14-2003, 12:47 PM
Great Work and nice concept!

Sliv
08-14-2003, 01:05 PM
In terms of art-work, its looks great...

But being an engineer.. personally I think it looks dumb...

Luki
08-14-2003, 01:33 PM
Whoa! Kongratulejszyn Azazel, pierwsza strona, swietna praca.
Choc musze przyznac, ze tak jakby czes twojej pracy (w sensie szczegolow) znikla, ale widze ze rzadzisz juz tutaj ;). Polish Artists Rulez:buttrock: .

HapZungLam
08-14-2003, 02:29 PM
such a cool design, i don't remember that i've seen it in the challenge page.

stephen2002
08-14-2003, 02:31 PM
The image is interesting and well done.

I have to agree though, I certantly wouldn't want to drive that thing!

azazel
08-14-2003, 02:57 PM
Thanks mods for the plug

mo_pic: thanks, older pilot: maybe some day, who knows? If I ever animate this, I'll think about it.

dimitrios_c: thanks

DeathBrain: I love back to the future movies

swag: I don't like leaving unfinished pieces. Even if it have to wait a year ;)

igorstshirts: thanks

timshim: watercolor look was not really intended (maybe it's side effect of textured custombrushes in PS ), but I like how it turned out.

luima: thanks

ElKrullo: thanks

tomb: some of the textures are hand-painted.

goodlag: thanks

friendlymike: nice to hear that

DimitrisLiatsos: now I'm happy too ;)

DoLeePoZ: thanks

mattmos: I tried more blur, but it made rotors disappear a bit too much

CarlCampbell: there was very much ps work: whole background, all the fx like volume lights, and compositing the vehicle from passes.

baby: thanks

Virtuoso: thanks, man. good luck with Your new project

PotatoHead: I wish I had time to finish it on time. As they say, real life got in the way.

MFTituS: thanks

prayas: thanks

Kel Solaar: thanks

Sliv: I agree about mechanical issues. But it was done for fun mainly, so I let them be

Luki: Opanowuje swiat. Jak co noc.

HapZungLam: It was long ago, but it was there.

stephen2002: I would not drive it too ;) , especially in that weather.

mejker
08-14-2003, 03:33 PM
juz gdzies to widzialem :beer:

Draco-84
08-14-2003, 03:38 PM
Very cool image! :applause: :thumbsup:
It looks as if you painted the BG on canvas...is that right?
Great job! :thumbsup:

visualboo
08-14-2003, 04:34 PM
Nice job Azazel. It's cool to see some of the "oldies" get finished :D

davidSingha
08-14-2003, 04:41 PM
Nice concept! Talking about creating a chopper out of airplane and truck parts. The image looks 2d. Great job.

lol

cheers
:cool:

That Adrian Guy
08-14-2003, 07:09 PM
He he... god job Eltazar!

The shoulders of the pilot look stiff and almost poser like, but I don't kow how to fix that = )

Keep it up bro!

azazel
08-14-2003, 07:21 PM
thanks guys :beer:

Adrian, You know I would not use Poser to save my life.....

Draco 84: no canvas, everything is digital ;). Bg painted in photoshop.

monoblanco
08-14-2003, 08:12 PM
brilliant.
you have an eye for compositing.
would love to see it moving.
great job!

DimitrisLiatsos
08-14-2003, 08:22 PM
:beer: Man you make me want to finish mine too!....lol
damn...:beer:

jellyfish
08-14-2003, 08:37 PM
I think this is a really cool concept and great treatment of the subject. Almost Jules Verne, if he knew about jet engines and helicopters that is :). Or something out a survivalist story, like Mad Max or Fallout.

To speak to the person who thought the cab / passengers were too close to the engine: have you seen some of these fighter jet designs? ( http://www.suurland.com/blueprints.php?catagory=10&order=name ) Many of these are merely a cabin mounted on top of a jet engine, with wings on the side. In other words, I think the jet / truck / gyrocopter would fly just fine (although controlling it would be a chore). Of course, it would probably get pretty hot in that cab, but some fiberglass insulation (or more in keeping with this image, asbestos) would fix that.

I can totally see this guy making deliveries from town to town in a post-apocalyptic story, although I have doubts as to where he would refill his tanks with jet fuel. Maybe it runs on corn liquor! :)

jellyfish

:RivetHead:
08-14-2003, 09:40 PM
Great texturing job! I'm digging your little matte painting in the back too, it adds great atmosphere. One thing I would like too see it to move your key light behind the vehicle. B/c from what I'm getting here seems like the main light source is coming from the far back between the mountain peeks and where the cloud mass starts. I would still leave a supporting light in the front so you don't loose all that detail though.

Looking forward for your future work
-Kazz

That Adrian Guy
08-14-2003, 10:25 PM
LoL, don't worry, I know you modelled everything, I just used really bad wording!

:thumbsup:

JA-forreal
08-15-2003, 02:20 AM
I love it. You have a good imagination. Not the typical 3d/2d artwork concept. Love it.

SoLi
08-15-2003, 07:14 PM
hey thats really good. i dont spose you've got a larger resolution version? i'd love to have that as my desktop wallpaper.

borysj
08-15-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by mejker
juz gdzies to widzialem :beer:

hehe me too zbig :p

swietna robota, widze ze moje sugestie sie przydalo

great job, i see that you have changed with my suggestions

Tad
08-16-2003, 11:42 AM
hi,
awsome work ,as im sure others have pointed out.

but (and I dont know if anyones asked this yet so I apologize if they already did) would it be possible for you to give us a higher resolution version,

I feel like there are alot of little details we're missing out on.

thanks
and keep up the great work

azazel
08-18-2003, 01:56 PM
Sorry I reply that late.....

Thanks everyone :)

Here's higher res (1600 pix wide) version.

click me (http://sykut.pp.com.pl/azazel/above_beyond.jpg)

Borys: :beer: for You :)

openzight
08-18-2003, 05:40 PM
wow, amazing work, very good looking style

great, it rocks:buttrock:

lildragon
08-23-2003, 01:15 AM
It's great to see past challengers finish up their entries. I love the composition here, I can't quite remember the entry but I do like what you've done with it for the final. Dig the atmosphere and the mo-blur work on the blades there. It's obvious you spent some good time on this piece, you seem to capture alot of small details :)

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Nice work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_aug03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

facial
08-29-2003, 07:34 AM
LOL, nice work :applause:

-YoD-
08-29-2003, 08:38 AM
cool grain, beautiful light...nice work ! :)

A3DLover
05-18-2004, 03:05 AM
Now thats a original concept vehicle.

Silgrin
09-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Azazel: Excellent work! I saw it for the first time on the cover of the Polish "3D Magazine". Strong atmosphere and funny vehicle.

3DArtZ: No, the engine doesn`t seem to require much space behind. It looks a bit like a radial air-cooled one, and they were really short. You could see a bit similar setting in French WWII fighters Bloch MB-150 and 152. :)

CGTalk Moderation
09-10-2005, 11:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.