PDA

View Full Version : Creating a real person morph - advice needed

HiTekJeff
10-09-2009, 08:17 AM
I am comparing ZBrush and Mudbox 2010 using the current demo versions. I know very basic methods for sculpting in ZBrush. What I am trying to do is import a V4/M4 Daz figure into ZBrush for custom sculpting of a real life person. My questions are:

1. Is there an easy way to match up photos of the real person with the imported mesh, such as the head? In other words, I want to have the photo(s) in the background of the ZBrush view port and overlay the mesh on top of it. That way I can sculpt the head better using the imported images as reference sculpting and adjusting as I go.

2. I have good photos of the person for front and side views, is anything else needed to match the head/body well for the sculpting?

3. Should I texture it when done in ZBrush, if possible, or use Photoshop CS4 for that? I have mainly done Photoshop like that but would be open to doing it in ZBrush or another program if results are better and faster.

4. I have been told by ZBrush users that 3.5 is really rough right now as it does NOT allow for importing/exporting which is what I want to do with my Daz figures. Also, the good plug-ins that worked in prior versions are now useless until re-written and they were a great benefit to many (such as Poser Scaler plug in that auto adjusted). Should I wait to see what develops the next few months? I really need something fairly soon so I may go with Mudbox.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

wwswimming
10-10-2009, 03:34 PM
I am comparing ZBrush and Mudbox 2010 using the current demo versions. I know very basic methods for sculpting in ZBrush. What I am trying to do is import a V4/M4 Daz figure into ZBrush for custom sculpting of a real life person. My questions are:

1. Is there an easy way to match up photos of the real person with the imported mesh, such as the head? In other words, I want to have the photo(s) in the background of the ZBrush view port and overlay the mesh on top of it. That way I can sculpt the head better using the imported images as reference sculpting and adjusting as I go.

2. I have good photos of the person for front and side views, is anything else needed to match the head/body well for the sculpting?

i'm pretty sure Eric Heller goes into this in his tutorial at Lynda.com, "Adding sculpture reference planes (http://www.lynda.com/home/GetStartedPopUp.aspx)".

http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourse.aspx?lpk2=642

it's not as straightforward as Max & Maya. on the bright side, it forces you to learn ZBrush Sub-tools to get the ref. images set up ... something like that.

3. Should I texture it when done in ZBrush, if possible, or use Photoshop CS4 for that? I have mainly done Photoshop like that but would be open to doing it in ZBrush or another program if results are better and faster.

not sure what you're saying. aside from obvious details like doing 3D texturing in ZBrush & tweaking displacement maps in Photoshop ... i find most ZBrush displacement maps (that capture textures) need to be touched up in PShop anyway.

HiTekJeff
10-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the replies.

wwswimming, (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=143757),

I will check out those video tutorials you mention. The only thing I wish is there were some better videos on topics like this showing novice ZBrush or Mudbox users how to do a character based on a real person. Right now, I am getting fairly good, but could use a lot more education via PDF or videos on getting good photo references and sculpting the face in detail.

The reason I wasn't clear on making texture maps for my figures is because I really am not sure what is best. I have just started learning making "skin" textures based on templates for V4/M4 in Photoshop and find that to be the best so far. Mainly, I was just thinking if it would look better to make skin textures in ZBrush and export it for use in Poser or Vue, if possible. It may be too time consuming for me too since having a template to work from in Photoshop at least gives you a base to start with. I have ZERO knowledge of texturing in modeling programs and only done some basic sculpting work. Otherwise, I mainly am using Photoshop for those needs.

Hopefully I can find some more good tutorials. Thanks again to all.

kelgy
10-15-2009, 06:26 PM

**if you are going for an exact portrait its good to have a third view-a 3/4 view to reference as you work with the side and front (and ideally, one from above or below the head). I have done both digital and traditional sculpting portraits and using image planes is good for quickly getting the proportions of the face, but there is usually some distortion unless the pictures are really well matched.
A 3/4 view helps to notice things around the eyes and mouth area that are hard to see with only a side or front view(like the thickness of the skin at the side of the mouth).

CGTalk Moderation
10-15-2009, 06:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.