PDA

View Full Version : Javelin Tank Explosion

pauldublin
10-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi guys, here's a shot I have just finished (it took an age to do!), my main aim was to learn Fumefx and do a convincing explosion, and comp it agianst a bg plate. Hope you like it, feel free to critique.

Cheers,

Paul

http://www.vimeo.com/6951769

FattyGrissle
10-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Cool! I liked it. Im a huge fan of things getting blown up.
Im no expert, but I feel like the camera shake should be a bit more violent when the shockwave hits. Right now it bobs up and down a bit, but if the camera motions were tighter and faster, it would give the explosion a feeling of a lot more force.
I think it looks awesome though!! Im just being picky..

pauldublin
10-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Thank you for the comments Aaron, you're right about that, it should be a bit more shakey at that stage. Only thing is I'd have to render all the passes again :( Maybe If I get time I'd fix that

I've learnt alot of things from doing this shot, so the next one will be better!

Thanks again

Paul

homer4lyfe
10-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Cool stuff. Nice work.

I would say for the violence of the explosion there needed to be a few more tank fragments flying. It looks like it kinda just disappears. Maybe a flying mangled chunk of turret?

Also the fire at the end burning on the wrecked tank didnt quite look real. It looked like a smaller fire, like a camp fire, but on a large tank.

Other than that, great job.

pauldublin
10-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks Nathan,

That fire is way off, I'm going to fix it when I get the time though

cheers!

HocusPocus
10-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Really nice shot!

not only the explosion, but the integration with the background... lights and render are very good!
Congrats!!:thumbsup:

pauldublin
10-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Thank alot Ivan,

That was important for me, getting it to sit into the bg plate, it was good fun to work on!

Cheers for the comment!

Paul

Jeremydjutras
10-09-2009, 03:51 PM
good stuff, I agree that all that sticks out is the fire.. the rest is really good. good sound too.

anthonymcgrath
10-09-2009, 04:26 PM
wow that was great - as said before and as you already know the fire lets it down at the end. explosion and smoke is superb tho!

only things I'd say are camera shake (again already stated) - maybe more violent as if the camera man himself was shook off his feet slightly. Secondly I'd say the bits blown off the tank to the right feel a bit all-the-same-weight maybe? One or two slightly bigger chunks in place with more weight on them would mix it up.

again - really really great work tho :)

pauldublin
10-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Jeremy, Anthony, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I will post up a revised version when I get it done, could be week or two though as I'm off on holidays in a few days.

Cheers lads,

Paul

anthonymcgrath
10-10-2009, 08:42 PM
holidays?!! your letting that stop you?!!? I finished the other half of my transformer project (posted a link in the finished anim section) whilst sat in the barcelona sunshine in a pair of shorts with an ice cold glass of coke hehehe :beer: rest of the time was spent cooling down in the sea... or being consumed by mosquito's at night (over 100 bites in a week!!)

have a good un mate!

pauldublin
10-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Hi Anthony yeah well I'll be bringing the laptop with me anyway, I reckon I can try finish it off while away haha. Off to Scotland anyway, so no hope of any mosquito's over there haha.

I checked out your Transformers project, looks pretty cool man!!!

Great work there.

All the best,

Paul

madm4tt
10-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Cool stuff. Nice work.

I would say for the violence of the explosion there needed to be a few more tank fragments flying. It looks like it kinda just disappears. Maybe a flying mangled chunk of turret?

Also the fire at the end burning on the wrecked tank didnt quite look real. It looked like a smaller fire, like a camp fire, but on a large tank.

Other than that, great job.

Same from me!!!

CGTalk Moderation
10-13-2009, 09:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.