PDA

View Full Version : BSc(HONS) Computer Animation

Corcs
10-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Hi I'm new to this forum!

I'm thinking of studying Computer Animation next year at either London Metropolitan University or University of Bedfordshire and I'm just wondering would this course be worth doing and? Is is difficult to get into and what are the career prospects? I have pretty much no experience in art so would this make the course much harder? How hard would the course be?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

DanielWray
10-09-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm studying this course at northumbria university, so the course modules may be a little different.

So far (I've only been there a few weeks) I've gathered that the first year is really, pretty useless if you don't put effort into practicing art and 3D in your own time. The first year is really just about getting everyone up to scratch with the basics, and i mean the basics, recording sound, recording video, taking photos, a little bit of programming here and there. But not much art/ animation going on at all, which is dissapointing, but after all it is a Bsc, so it's more about the technical side, that is why the working outside in your own time is crucial. The second year does go into 2D/ 3D animation and modeling, but I'm guessing this will just be how to use the software etc.

If you already have a grasp on 3D modeling and animation (You don't need to be a pro, just know enough so during the classes you can get on with your own thing and produce work for your reel etc) then I'd say having the four years to develop and having that degree will open doors for you, this may not be instant access to a studio (that really depends on your reel) but the degree will make working abroad easier, so I've heard.

Corcs
10-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks great reply!

Did you need a portfolio or anything like that when you applied?

DanielWray
10-09-2009, 05:38 PM
No problem :)

You usually need so many UCAS points (280 or something like that). But i got on with just a portfolio of work, But i don't think it's essential as it's a Bsc, if you went for the Ba you'd definitely need a portfolio.

Corcs
10-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Well I'll be 23 if I start next September and I already have a BSc in Software development so hopefully I wont need to have a portfolio!

moidphotos
10-09-2009, 08:31 PM
For what its worth I would be highly suspicious of any animation course that lets you join without a portfolio. Unless the course is very obviously coding coding coding and little else (and that's what you want) you should be looking for a degree with a large quantity of art skills taught alongside the technical stuff because otherwise how are you going to make a decent reel at the end of your degree and get a job? If you haven't been taught the aesthetic side of CG your work may be technically correct but will almost certainly lack visual appeal and the majority of CG jobs require both skill areas. Obviously shader and tools coding, rigging and render management might not, but almost everything else does.

I was recently part of an industry / education panel that involved the major post production houses in the UK telling the best animation universities what sorts of skills they wanted to see in a graduate's portfolio / showreel. Top of the list from all four of the biggest VFX houses was life drawing, before any 3D artwork. When I asked why that was, the concensus of opinion (which I agree with completely) is that life drawing teaching the student to analyse the real world, to consider how it functions and to record it as precisely as possible, which is the methodology behind most VFX work if you think about it. Good life drawing skills demonstrate to the VFX companies that you have the eye for detail that they want.

CGTalk Moderation
10-09-2009, 08:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.