PDA

View Full Version : Eye setup problem

Facial Deluxe
08-12-2003, 06:29 PM
I've made a classic eye setup, for a head, no bones or so...

Head parent of 2 eyeballs and a Control Null

both eyeballs have follower applied Following Control Null (heading and pitch)

Controll Nul is targetting a NullCam
NullCam is child of Camera (so when I hit 0.0.0. eyes are looking at the camera)

It doesn't work !

If I move the camera, eyes are working nicely
If I move the timeline eyes are looking away (nonsense)

Why ???

Robsi
08-12-2003, 08:21 PM
Hi,

follower is a little bit strange sometimes, it doesnt work very well in IK chains. Try uncheck "After IK" in the follower panel.

Good Luck, Robert

Triple G
08-13-2003, 03:00 AM
This may be a silly question, but have you set a keyframe for your camera/target null before you move the timeline?

For eyes, I usually just put a separate weight map on each eye and set each eye bone to target my master eye null, which is a parent of a left eye null and a right eye null. That way you can move one control for both eyes, but you still maintain control over each eye individually in case you need to have them cross or spin like a crazy person in opposite directions. :p Easy to set up, and very reliable. :)

Facial Deluxe
08-13-2003, 09:51 AM
Thank you guys :)

Robsi, there is no bones...

TripleG, hahahaha, auto key is on, so answer is yes, there is keyframes :)
Your solution is what I use before, but I wanted to keep the eyes parallele.
Which I knew what's wrong with follower. Not the first time I have weird results with this...

robkoni
08-13-2003, 10:25 AM
Hi facial(we must stop meeting like this) ,Triple G's mthodology is the way to go weight maps,Bones and a Null allways works,give it ago,doesent take long to set up:thumbsup:
All the best Robin

Facial Deluxe
08-13-2003, 10:39 AM
Howdy Robkoni :)

Yeah we have to stop, people would think things and then speak behind us...
Agree agree, back to the old way :)
Damn follower....

Triple G
08-14-2003, 12:20 AM
Just a thought...I wonder if you wrote an actual expression instead of using Follower, if that would work? I know...sometimes Follower gets a little wonky. (That's the technical term for it, btw...) :D

DigiLusionist
08-14-2003, 12:39 AM
I use targeting for eyes nowadays. Have you tried that?

For those who don't use this method:

model the eye in its own layer, centered at XYZ, facing Z+

in Layout, after you have converted skelegons to bones in the character mesh, and have recorded Pivot Rotations, parent the eye to the Head bone in the body mesh

position the eye, and create an eye targeting null
position the eye targeting null ahead of the head

select the eye and bring up the Motion Options panel (m key)

set the target for the eye to the eye target null

move the eye target null to animate eye

You can also add another null, positioned in the head, between the eyes, and call it eye target rotator

parent the eye target null to the eye target rotator

rotate the eye target rotator to animate the eyes, and move the eye target null along the Z axis to animate the eye's focal point

luck!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.