PDA

View Full Version : best modeling method for these objects?

shokan
10-08-2009, 02:17 AM
What modeling method or software would you use for creating the antique furniture in the image? I have looked at polygon-by-polygon construction, NURBS, SplinePatch plugin for C4D ,spline construction and various 3DCC softwares (such as C4D, modo, ZBrush, Rhino, MoI3D, Xenon, Silo).

Thanks.

far
10-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Some basic primitive polygon modeling, some areas can use splines as well.

Best way would be to break apart each object and see what gets the job done for each section. Like the table top can be just a cylinder beveled and extruded etc.

JackZhang
10-08-2009, 05:23 PM
emm.... I love this question... let's see, I use a software called make-your-3d-in-a-second-without-sweat. I use lego pieces, combine with some magic powder, mix with pumpin juice, then turn it into a polygun, and I go 'poly-poly-turns-into-char'....

1. there's no BEST method nor BEST software.
2. best method is that you feel comfortable the most.

my questions for you are:
1. What software have you used before. (used as really used it for making at least 10 models, not like you went through some tutorial)
2. What modeling method have you used before. (again, used as you did at least 10 models, not like you tried spline once and poly-by-poly twice)

shokan
10-08-2009, 08:35 PM
amapi and it crashed a lot, and I didn't get experience in anything, thus my question

JackZhang
10-10-2009, 03:05 AM
i think to answer your question, you need to do some actual work first. Then you gonna find that you can answer those questions yourself.

maya/max/xsi/c4d/lw/modo they all work. zb is a 2.5d software.

Shuggs
10-10-2009, 05:12 AM
There's always several ways to model a single object. Not one is more superior than the other. You use whatever will get the job done and what will be the most time efficient. No one can just come out and tell you that the Edge Extrusion method is the best because no one knows where you currently stand with that method. We don't know if you understand or don't understand NURBS or Splines, so it really isn't up to us to say. Whatever you're use to doing proceed with that. If you want to try something new, then that is another option. Even if you were to use one of the methods 9 times out of 10 you'll find yourself using another or even all of them in your work flow. It would be easier to create a helix shape out of a spline and then use an Extrude Modifier or something rather than to model that particular shape with a box or the Edge Extrusion method.

Just do what works best for you to get the job done!

CGTalk Moderation
10-10-2009, 05:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.