PDA

View Full Version : Issues Syncing Render Frames and Audio in Post Software...

EndfinityJon
10-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Hey guys,

I'm not too sure if this thread is in the correct locale. Feel free to move it or enforce any necessary newb rantings upon my delicate soul. Now that that's out of the way:

I'm currently working on some animatics for a short film in Maya. I recorded several scene voiceovers in Logic and exported them as both MP3's, and AIF files. I then opened the AIF file in Maya and have been animating alongside the audio in Maya with beautiful results. When scrubbing the timeline and when playing raw, everything syncs great. I'll then render a certain section that I'm done with, and pull the files into Final Cut Pro.

In Final Cut, I put my frames in the timeline and then the audio file directly below it at the exact same start point. As the video goes on, it's only a matter of seconds before my lovely syncing in Maya becomes bottom feeding crap in Final Cut. In Maya, I've got the timeline playback on 24fps. I'm not too sure what Final Cut is set on, but I did find some settings somewhere and I believe I was able to adjust it to fit the 24fps as well...Turns out, it didn't work.

Any advice guys? I'm trying to get this working ASAP because I'll be showing these animatics very soon in a group meeting.

Thanks!

~Jonathan

beaker
10-08-2009, 01:00 AM
In fcp you need to render to a framerate of 23.976.

23.976, 29.97, etc... exist because of sound sync issues. Google about it, there is tons of info about it.

EndfinityJon
10-08-2009, 01:52 AM
Beaker,

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately, I'm a dumbass. In Final Cut I'm not sure where to find these options. In the Easy Setup menu, I found something where I can change the format and the framerate. I changed it to PAL and 24 FPS, and that didn't work. I then tried 23.98 and didn't get any results either.

I even tried a render, but it didn't work. The render is just as important to me as working with the raw sequence so I need it to work there as well.

I've been searching Google for the past couple of days, and I find that most people seem to be having issues with syncing video camera footage, and while I realize the problems are one in the same, the answers they receive are typically from high and mighty tech geeks who talk so far above their heads that the heavens are the only thing that hears them (tired of my zany wordplay?)

If you could try to guide me through the proper menus or try to hook me up with a decent link, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks again,
~Jon

Midgardsormr
10-08-2009, 04:09 PM
You need Sequence > Settings.

EndfinityJon
10-09-2009, 03:24 AM
Yeah, looks like that did the trick.

I made a completely new scene, then set the project in that settings tab to 24. Sure enough, everything synced up. Something kinda strange though, when I click on my media files in the browser and scroll from left to right, in the vid rate tab, everything is still on 29.97. I'm 100% sure that I exported my batch render frames from Maya at Film (24fps). Either way, it seems to work regardless of what it says.

Thanks again.
~J

CGTalk Moderation
10-09-2009, 03:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.