PDA

View Full Version : Need some guidence

fw
10-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Ok, I plan on attending a art school (AI), majoring - my BA in graphic design. Start off as a freelance graphic designer dealing with print and illustrations. I would like to end up in the gaming industry dealing with in game graphics, then moving onto character design and weapons things like that. Is starting off as a graphic designer a bad idea, or should i just go directly into a animation degree? Is starting off as a graphic designer a waste of time?

leigh
10-06-2009, 11:11 PM
It's not a bad idea as such, it's just a waste of time because you already have a goal and graphic design is just an obstacle in the way of that. If you want to work in games, then look for a game job once you've graduated.

JYoung
10-07-2009, 12:31 AM
Why major in graphic design if you want to work in games? Unless you plan on doing ui art, it's not going to help much. Are you stuck on Ai, in Denver? If so, the media arts & animation program would be a better choice for your career goals. With that said, you probably won't get much game specific education in that program, so there will be a lot of self study to get up to speed. You should also look at schools other than Ai if you have the opportunity.

forsakendreams
10-07-2009, 05:15 AM
You should probably clarify what you mean by "in game graphics" since I have no clue what that is. Are you interested in painting game model textures or designing something like billboard signs, posters, bus logos/ads for first person games? Or logos and symbols and interfaces for games?

If you're interested in something that focuses on attractive, intuitive UI design, or say motion graphic ads/signage in something like The Sims, then I can see how the graphic design degree would be a good idea.

If you're more interested in character design or creating model textures for games, then skip straight to some sort of gaming/game design program.

fw
10-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Why major in graphic design if you want to work in games? Unless you plan on doing ui art, it's not going to help much. Are you stuck on Ai, in Denver? If so, the media arts & animation program would be a better choice for your career goals. With that said, you probably won't get much game specific education in that program, so there will be a lot of self study to get up to speed. You should also look at schools other than Ai if you have the opportunity.

Ok, if you have time to read. :) LOL.. Well you helped me decide i think thank you ;P. My main focus was on graphic design because i love the photo manipulation side of it such as gaming covers, basically advertising. I was going to go with graphic design because i already knew a little bit about it. But really my main passion is 3D, it just grabs my eye I love it. Characters mainly, weapons ect... and i can still incorporate photo manipulation with 3d skillz im hoping :), im thinking media arts would be my wise choice. Only problem is i cannot draw worth a daym, LOL. As far as having my mind set for AI, in Denver.... yes i do for some reason it just feels right, maybe I'm wrong? Still give input if yall can understand me. lol

dragonlair81
10-07-2009, 09:44 PM
if in the end what you want to do is 3d work then i don't see a reason why you should go after a graphic design degree. I probably would be easier for you to go get a graphic design gig after getting a animation degree then the other way around. You could always take some graphic design class when your at ai. Don't worry about not being able to draw unless you want to go into the concept side of games. Besides anyone can learn to draw if they practice enough.

just my 2 cents

CGTalk Moderation
10-07-2009, 09:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.