PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver-buying a pc vs building?

kelgy
10-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Sorry if its the wrong forum-I need some advice.

For Vancouver area users, who builds their own computer vs who buys it(from a store)? And if so --where do you go(if it breaks a rule please private message me the info).

I have been using a relative for computer building/maintenance but that's stopping now.

I am not a tech person-I cant fathom how one would build their own computer--I figure I could just find a place, order the specifications I need with a warranty, and go from there.
Looking for options-thanks.

SheepFactory
10-06-2009, 08:18 PM
The best place is NCIX (ncix.com)

I got mine from the ncix at broadway. Cheapest prices you can find and speedy service. I am very happy with them.

kelgy
10-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Thanks very much
will check them out

Karnageddon
10-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Also check out DirectCanada.com; NCIX' sister company that surprisingly has much lower prices sometimes.
Building your own computer is surprisingly easy, the only risky process is installing the cpu into the motherboard and if I'm not mistaken, both NCIX and DirectCanada will do it for a small charge(even if you order online, but you have to pay for the box they ship it in).

kelgy
10-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Building your own computer is surprisingly easy, the only risky process is installing the cpu into the motherboard and if I'm not mistaken, both NCIX and DirectCanada will do it for a small charge(even if you order online, but you have to pay for the box they ship it in).

**that's good to know too thanks

looks very intimidating when staring at all the circuitry
I dont want to go anywhere near it
lol

Karnageddon
10-07-2009, 12:55 AM
**that's good to know too thanks

looks very intimidating when staring at all the circuitry
I dont want to go anywhere near it
lol

I was exactly the same way till I saw someone build one in front of me; since then I have been building my own.
Just think of it as playing with a very expensive Lego set. :twisted:

CKPinson
10-07-2009, 01:44 PM
I remember my first build I dropped my CPU (AMD 64 3000) on my carpet and freaked, carefully plucked the pins from the carpet, sighed relief cuz the pins were fine and then BAM, dropped the dang thing again LOL- The second time several of the pins had bent so I was certain it was screwed but bent them as straight as I could with some tweezers and then forced it into the socket. After locking it down, finishing installing other items and booting it up discovered it wouldn't boot so again I thought for sure that the CPU was damaged. Did some research on the web at my work about possible issues and discovered that this particular CPU/MOB combo wouldn't initial boot with Dual Channel Memory so I removed the secondary stick and it finally booted. That computer ended up lasting me close to 4 years (probably still works but gave it away) and the only issue I ever had was the GPU (ATI 800Pro) died after 2.5 years but RMA'd it to Asus and got a free replacement.

So it can be a pain to build but it is a learning experience and at least you know the quality of the hardware you're using (some of the Co.s like Dell use crappy MOB or PS.)

Karnageddon
10-07-2009, 05:39 PM
I remember my first build I dropped my CPU (AMD 64 3000) on my carpet and freaked, carefully plucked the pins from the carpet, sighed relief cuz the pins were fine and then BAM, dropped the dang thing again LOL- The second time several of the pins had bent so I was certain it was screwed but bent them as straight as I could with some tweezers and then forced it into the socket. After locking it down, finishing installing other items and booting it up discovered it wouldn't boot so again I thought for sure that the CPU was damaged. Did some research on the web at my work about possible issues and discovered that this particular CPU/MOB combo wouldn't initial boot with Dual Channel Memory so I removed the secondary stick and it finally booted. That computer ended up lasting me close to 4 years (probably still works but gave it away) and the only issue I ever had was the GPU (ATI 800Pro) died after 2.5 years but RMA'd it to Asus and got a free replacement.

So it can be a pain to build but it is a learning experience and at least you know the quality of the hardware you're using (some of the Co.s like Dell use crappy MOB or PS.)

That's too funny, I'd say your first mistake was working on a carpet since any static could have shorted out the components, but ironically it might have saved your processor...twice.:banghead:

CKPinson
10-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Yeah- I wasn't concerned with Static like I should've been. Now I see ppl grounding themselves and taking all these extra precautions and think, hummm, ignorance is bliss! But hey, I got through (stumbled mostly) the process and it worked fine as far as I could tell. I did my second one in my bed and it is still working- but my next is going to be pre-built! Don't care if I have to pay for it... owing a home does that to you, makes you lazy or respect the labor fees. I drastically remodeled my home with little help, no experience and many trails and tribulations (new flooring, new electric, popcorn removal, and the list gooooessss soo far on) and came to this conclusion- If I can't afford to pay someone to do it then it doesn't need to be DONE! LOL!

It was like a SCAREY episode of HGTV Flip My House! But hey I got it done with just a few loose ends! :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-07-2009, 07:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.