PDA

View Full Version : Joe W and Victor Navone in Sept 3DWorld

hoochoochoochoo
08-12-2003, 10:19 AM
Congrats guys! On last day of my holiday I found myself in an Airport Lounge reading 3DWorld. What caught my eye in first place was JoeW's front cover artwork.
Was that done in AM Joe? Whatever the package you used, that was a great piece of work. Have to say I prefered that female character to the one you posted previously in the AM WIP section. LOVE the more stylised stuff!

binder3d
08-12-2003, 02:54 PM
Nope that model was done in LW. But Im sure that he could do that with AM. I think he did that to learn LW better.

My Fault
08-12-2003, 05:39 PM
Yeah MoonJuJu was done in Lightwave.

Great job Joe!! :beer:

Dearmad
08-12-2003, 06:07 PM
Weren't images of moonjuju posted in here done in AM? I htought he said something about her in here....

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52087&perpage=15&pagenumber=6

Seems pretty easy to infer she was done in AM. So now we're told she's not? Or did they redo her?

My Fault
08-12-2003, 06:22 PM
JoeW can explain this better then I obviously, but you may be confusing MoonJuju, which is the image and character on 3dWorld, with Tak and the Power of Juju that JoeW and the guys at Avalanche did. The Tak commercial was done in AM and in a lot of ways was what drove many of the fixes we now see in 10.5.

I guess JoeW Just really likes the word juju :p

Dearmad
08-12-2003, 07:37 PM
Ah.. JuJu confusion. Just had some JuJu bees as a matter fact. :beer:

My issue of 3dworld hasn't arrived yet- grrrr. I hate how slow it is to get to me.

Bill_Young
08-12-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by My Fault
JoeW can explain this better then I obviously, but you may be confusing MoonJuju, which is the image and character on 3dWorld, with Tak and the Power of Juju that JoeW and the guys at Avalanche did. The Tak commercial was done in AM and in a lot of ways was what drove many of the fixes we now see in 10.5.

I guess JoeW Just really likes the word juju :p

Actualy I belive there are 2 Moon Juju's.

One is A:M found here:
ftp://ftp.hash.com/users/joewllms/Samples/MoonJuju_Attitude.jpg

The other is Lightwave found here:
ftp://ftp.hash.com/users/joewllms/Page/MoonJuju_Print.jpg

Personaly I like the A:M MoonJuju more.

My Fault
08-12-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Bill_Young
Actualy I belive there are 2 Moon Juju's.

One is A:M found here:
ftp://ftp.hash.com/users/joewllms/Samples/MoonJuju_Attitude.jpg

The other is Lightwave found here:
ftp://ftp.hash.com/users/joewllms/Page/MoonJuju_Print.jpg

Personaly I like the A:M MoonJuju more.

Exactly, sorry I wasn't more clear before. She's the one from the game, Tak and the Power of Juju.

And I agree, the AM MoonJuju looks better and I really love some of the other characters from the game as well. The guy that looks like a shaman is sweeeet.

John Keates
08-12-2003, 08:11 PM
Actually the moon Juju that was done in AM was modelled by someone else at Avalanche. Joe W just Posed and rendered her.

My Fault
08-12-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by John Keates
Actually the moon Juju that was done in AM was modelled by someone else at Avalanche. Joe W just Posed and rendered her.

Hence the reason I said "that JoeW and the guys at Avalanche did" in one of my previous posts.

John Keates
08-12-2003, 10:31 PM
Oops, yes I see that now, sorry. :blush:
We are having a heat wave here in England and I think that it is getting to me. Please ignore me.

My Fault
08-12-2003, 10:54 PM
Oops, yes I see that now, sorry. :blush:
We are having a heat wave here in England and I think that it is getting to me. Please ignore me.

Having lived in the armpit of the southwest, Phoenix Arizona, I can totally appriciate heat waves. Hopefully it blows over soon for ya.

And hopefully JoeW gets a few moments to post over here. I'm guessing they are in crunch time for Tak. Looks like a very fun game!

JoeW
08-13-2003, 03:37 AM
Thanks, Guys - Sorry if I've been absent from the forum - we've been crushed for so long that I forget what it's like NOT to work... of course, there are always worse problems to have (like NO work)...

Well, to give a little background - the Moonjuju on the cover of 3DWorld was indeed done as my personally-imposed LW "tutorial" - my first real LW project. The art director at 3DWorld came across the image and asked if they could use it - obviously, I said yes. She was based on one of the earliest designs for the Moonjuju in our game - but was later discarded. I say *based* because I changed almost everything about her - except the basic shape of her hat and most of her face - and even those got "pushed" a little.... I've been very tempted to re-create her in AM since animating in LW has proven to be such a PITA.(but ya gotta love the soft-body dynamics!)

The "official" MoonJuju (in the "Attitude" render) was designed by Todd Harris, modeled by Jeff Bunker, rigged by Tyler Lybbert, and textured by Ryan Wood (Ryan is the guy who did the "CanHead" painting that was used in the Painter6 ad campaign - great painter!). In that image, I was just messing around with different poses and lighting :)

The game is looking REALLY nice (sometimes, it shocks me when I see a level I haven't seen in a while). We've been adding new effects and capabilities to our engine, and it's really amazing how it's coming together. The cinematics are being produced in AM - so we're beating the hell out of the network rendering and working on improving features like hair and spriticles (especially pushing for interface enhancements). We've had a few of the reviewers comment on how good the pre-rendered cinematics look, so I guess that's something to say for AM. We get asked a lot what we use (XSI? Maya?) and they're usually incredulous when we tell them it's AM. One review that I found can be read here: http://ps2.ign.com/articles/432/432942p1.html and there are others if you search. We currently have testers living full-time with us (not terribly fun) but it's what has to be done to make a solid game.

If I can, I'll post the cinematics as soon as possible - the voice talent we used is *outstanding*

JoeW

John Keates
08-13-2003, 03:23 PM
What feature enhancements are you pushing for? I have asked for cork-screw hair and hair that changes colour allong its length.
I would also like spriticles to animate or generate more spriticles on impact. Are your suggestions allong those lines?

JoeW
08-13-2003, 05:39 PM
What feature enhancements are you pushing for? I have asked for cork-screw hair and hair that changes colour allong its length.
I would also like spriticles to animate or generate more spriticles on impact. Are your suggestions allong those lines?

Yes, those are included with what we're asking for (except for corkscrew hair). In regards to hair, I'd like to see color along length, random variation in color (say 10% from a "base" color), better controls for stiffness and stiffness dropoff, base width and tip width controls(for grass and that kind of thing), and the ability to use guide splines to control direction and "shape". We're working also on an actual mocked up "interface" for this stuff - I think that a lot of the features that are in AM are hard to get to / understand because of poor interface (or NO interface) design.

Spriticles have no interface right now - at least none that makes any sense. They've chosen to work them in a way that no other package uses, and it's not neccessarily a better way. I *still* can't figure out how to control opacity over life of an individual spriticle as opposed to the whole group - yet I can do this in every other package I use with no problem. Spriticles need to allow you to emit emitters (have streamers) as well as spawn other effects on impact. Particle Illusion - the package that spriticles was based on, has these abilities - and a much more useable interface. Hopefully, Hash will adopt at least some of the changes.....

JoeW

My Fault
08-13-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by JoeW
We're working also on an actual mocked up "interface" for this stuff - I think that a lot of the features that are in AM are hard to get to / understand because of poor interface (or NO interface) design.

Yeah, Joe used the "I" word! I really hope you guys can help them clean up the interface a bit, even if it is just for hair or spriticles. While I don't loathe the interface as much as I did last year, they can still obviously improve it quite a bit.

Ah, I'm going to stop bitchin now. I really love 10.5 and it has finally surpassed my love of 8.5.

John Keates
08-13-2003, 06:25 PM
Joe,

Good luck with getting all that. If we do, then AM will have one fantastic hair feature! It is good to see that you guys are putting so much into the program.

One thing that I am hoping for in terms of interface is improved smart-skin handling. Those things are amazingly easy to make and far too difficult to modify. So much so that instead of modifying them I just erase and re-do them (I make one for each bone position). I can't for the life of me think of the best way to improve this though. 2D is easy to find your way around but 3D is different.

PS: I might just have missed something and be talking gibberish.

Matt Leishman
10-02-2003, 03:41 PM
Joe,
I just read that article on ign about how the game is progressing, and oh man! I can't wait to get a chance to play it! Oh, and your huntress is just as alluring as ever, great joaarrrroeeb!!! (homage to coach z from homestarrunner).

Its great to see such great art come out of Utah (not that there wasn't any coming out of Utah before mind you). I'm a maya user by default (max user at work here at Saffire), but I now have even more amunition for when people ask what software is the best for 3d art. I've seen great stuff from all the packages, especially now from hash. the software really doesn't matter, what matters is the hands and heart of the artist using the tools.

Again, great job on the game so far, and keep up the really inspiring work!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.