PDA

View Full Version : The DAVE School

Canderson
10-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Hi Everyone!

I'm new the the forum here. Glad to be a part of the discussions and to share information. From what I've gathered, this site and its community members are a fantastic wealth of knowledge. I will spread the word and encourage our students to be a part of the community as well.

Are there any DAVE school alumni out there already? The DAVE school is a one year VFX program that includes hard surface and organic modeling, character animation, visual effects compositing, and much more.

Chris

taxguy
10-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Franklly, with the huge volume of knowledge and skills required of animation, I would be very surprised if any school with a one-year program, such as the Dave School, would be able to inculcate sufficent skills for obtaining a top notch industry job. I always heard that schools such as the Dave School are fine IF you already have some strong training in the animation pipeline. However, I am NOT an animator nor even an artist. Thus, could have heard incorrectly.

Canderson
10-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Our program is taught with the assumption that each student is computer literate, but has no experience in computer animation. Programs start with the very basics. Students with extensive 3D skills may find the first two weeks easy, but by the end of the third week, classes become challenging for everyone regardless of their background.

dandeentremont
10-07-2009, 10:43 PM
I graduated from DAVE a few years ago and now work at Rhythm and Hues. I knew next to nothing about 3d before coming to the school. Aside from a ton of essential cgi techniques and skills, one of the most important things they teach there (which is often overlooked in many schools) is how a VFX production is run in the real world.

TomThumb
10-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Well... since there are many industry professionals associated with the DAVE School, I would expect nothing less. :)

taxguy
10-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Be aware of Dave School pricing. I believe that one year's tuition alone is $35,500. In contrast,this is higher than one year at Ringling. Even Gnomon, which charges $43,000, is for two years. Maybe it is worth it. However, they are charging a LOT of money for just one year of training.

leigh
10-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Please note that schools are not allowed to advertise their courses here.