PDA

View Full Version : Matching ref images

lironmiron
08-12-2003, 06:47 AM
Hi:
I decided to try modeling a head from an actual reference and I'm having trouble matching the front and side views (of the ref images I could model from). I resize until the top and bottom of the head match. There, the eyes and mouth match and the nose does too... sortof. But the ears are totally different. Since that's a nonmoving part, I'm totally at a loss as to how the features of the face of the same person might not match(?)
the images in question are here: (http://lironmiron.netfirms.com/unmatched.htm)

dcroeser
08-12-2003, 11:43 AM
Might be due to lens distortion when the photos were taken. A wide angle shot might look better. I'm not an expert though, this is just something I have heard.

Addition: Since the ears are further back on the head in the front shot they are reduced due to perspective. This will cause a problem if you are using the images in orthographic views (such as front and top) in your 3d program because there is no perspective in these views. To cancel out the perspective effect you can use a wide angle lens or take the photo from some distance away and zoom in with the camera. This has a flattening effect.

Anyone, please correct me if I am wrong here. :)

lironmiron
08-14-2003, 12:11 AM
Thank you! I didn't even consider that perspective might distort visibly something as small as a head. It makes sense!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.