PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 version

motoxpress
10-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Any thoughts about which version of Windows 7 is best for media work? I have not seen any real references to it in the literature.

-g

Srek
10-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Since the core is identical with all Win 7 versions i don't think you will see much of a difference. You will need to check which versions support the hardware you plan to use, multiple CPU support is usualy only available with the pro versions of Windows.

Cheers
Björn

ThomasTheToolman
10-04-2009, 08:05 PM
... multiple CPU support is usualy only available with the pro versions of Windows.

Cheers
Björn

Are you sure?
Does it mean I could install Windows 7 also on an 16-core machine and it will recognize all 4 CPUs (16 cores)?
Ones before I tryed to install Windows XP Pro x64 on a 4 CPU machine but it only recognized 2 CPUs (8 cores). I had to go back to Windows Server OS.

Regards
Thomas

wethrowpie
10-05-2009, 12:32 AM
get Ultimate 64. Home premium is missing group policy editor (gpedit.msc) which makes configuration of little things all that much easier without having to resort to tinkering in the registry.

It was stupid of them to leave this out of the home versions.

Srek
10-05-2009, 07:03 AM
More than two processor sockets are ususaly only supported by Server versions of Windows, however often Home or basic only support one so you wouldn't be able to use them on Dual Xeons for example.
Check here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#Comparison_chart) for more detailed informations on what versions of WIndows 7 supports what.

ThomasTheToolman
10-05-2009, 08:42 PM
OK, I got it now.
Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2009, 08:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.