PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong

Nogert
10-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Ok so I had some decent reference material, and had a go at created an army jeep, I spent ages trying to get the correct shape but ended up just getting further and further away from what I wanted.

Basically I don't know if I'm using the correct techniques. I'm just creating shapes, turning them into editable mesh's and messing with the vertiscies, and I use a lot of boolean.

I'm really not happy with the outcome and just don't know how to improve right now.

Dmaxer
10-05-2009, 06:16 PM
your on the right track mate so dont worry to much , just remember detail is the name of the game here, you made your jeep using basic shapes and it shows , for one look at the wheel , car tires are not round like that , they have two side walls and a flat part that meets with the road. have a go at remaking the wheel , work on just that by the time your happy with the result you should have learnt a lot more and be able to make the rest of the jeep. :) other than that look up some tuts for the program your using Im sure they will help a lot :).

Steamthunk
10-05-2009, 06:37 PM
It would be a lot easier to make specific comments if you posted mesh shots of your work too. Do your references include top, side, and right views in plan and are they all scaled to a similar size before starting? Do you have photo references as well to show you the general material look?

You don't say what you want your end goal to be, but I'm going to assume you're trying to make a realistic jeep. If so, you need to spend more time studying your references before modeling. Take the wheels as the obvious example. There's no way the tires actually look like inflated inner tubes as you've shown. There would be treads and a much straighter side wall to name two things. They also seem too big for the size of the vehicle (the wheelbase seems too short). Your materials are far too shiny for what looks like a military jeep. I think the canisters in the back are the most believable.

IMO you could best improve by spending more time looking at your references (or getting new ones) and make sure that your vehicle plans are correctly lined up in your viewports. Try sketching on paper the various parts first to make sure you're seeing the detail in all the pieces you're trying to make. No modeling technique can replace seeing accurately. You've chosen a challenging subject in that the jeep is a rugged vehicle that depends on a lot of little jagged bits of this and that to really sell it as a jeep. Your version is just too clean and shiny right now.

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2009, 06:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.