PDA

View Full Version : Learn Messiah instructional videos

dfaris
08-11-2003, 11:53 PM
Learn Messiah instructional videos. New video tuts are out for messiah done by Joe Cosman. 15 chapters setting up a full character. For all us messiah folks check it out at.

http://www.joecosman.com/messiahtuts/

mg3d
08-12-2003, 03:12 AM
It's about time we got some top notch tutorials out there.

well worth the money :)

:beer:
-mG

Andy741
08-12-2003, 06:10 AM
It looks awesome. Is it specific to version 4.0?

dfaris
08-12-2003, 06:23 AM
Andy741,

No its not specific to 4.0.
Its was done with the version before 4 came out so it all works with 3.3 and everything done on the tuts can also be used with 4.0. I think Joe is going to do some tuts that will deal with the new stuff in 4 and the new studio but I dont know for sure you will have to ask him.

JoeCosman
08-13-2003, 05:43 PM
Just wanted to let you know I'm here to answer your questions.

These tutorials will work in Animate 4.0 and 3.3
that's the nice thing about Technique; it's platform independent :-)

dfaris
08-13-2003, 05:59 PM
Ah there is the man himself. Now everyone can ask him the questions.

:)

Sil3
08-15-2003, 12:08 PM
One piece of advise: BUY THIS VIDEOīs

It has the most simplistic and fast way of seting up a reverse foot setup that i ever saw, yet itīs a breeze to use.

The Fingers Expressions used are simple and so easy to get with, that i doubt iīll ever make sliders to hand positions.

Setting nice Biceps deformations with a simple Expressions and those Muscle Bones tips are worthy the price alone.

After seeing this i can assure you all that in less than 2 hours everybody will have their characters rigged and ready to start the fun part: ANIMATION.

Great Video Tuts Joe, keep them coming:thumbsup:

dfaris
08-15-2003, 04:54 PM
Just to add to Sil3's post

The back muscle setup is great and you can use this type of setup on other parts of your model. You can see this kind of setup in Joes demo on the website.

tjnyc
08-15-2003, 05:36 PM
Hey Joe,

I was wondering if you might consider having downloadable chapters and scene files in the future if you plan on doing more Tutorials as well as CDs.

Regards,

- T

mg3d
08-15-2003, 05:38 PM
I'm pretty sure he's got more in the works. But as far as tutes for DL, it might kill his bandwidth.

-mG

dfaris
08-15-2003, 05:39 PM
I would think the the problem with downloading the tuts is bandwidth. But I'm sure joe will let you know.

JoeCosman
08-15-2003, 07:34 PM
and you are all correct :-)

the tutorials would take up alot of bandwidth. The rigging CD itself is 360 megs.

bandwidth exceeded with the first 20 downloads.

right now, I'm considering this on a case by case basis. nobody wants to stay online for 2 days downloading. and hosting a gigabyte of tutorial videos online is not cheap.

the advantage, though, is you can pick smaller tutorials a'la carte and have them instantly.

I'm in #messiah3d most days if anyone want's to post possible solutions.

tjnyc
08-15-2003, 07:43 PM
Hey Joe,

Thanks for the Tutorial CD, and the price is pretty good as well. :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see the other CDs.

Regards,

rnb2
08-15-2003, 08:02 PM
Yep, ordered mine today - that muscle bone in the back in the teaser is a great idea, can't wait to see the rest of the CD.

Besides being designed for animate/studio, can anybody do any comparisons between this CD and John Riggs' tutorial DVDs? I'm going to have all of them, of course, but I'm curious.

mg3d
08-15-2003, 08:13 PM
John's vids are more of a basic controls setup. (at least the first tape is). I haven't seen the other vids so I can't help you out there. Joe's vids have some very nice control systems in there and the implementation of them is quite easy to understand.

/me nudges JoeCosman for plugging his product :)

-mG

tjnyc
08-15-2003, 08:54 PM
Fast, efficient and easy controls and setup is what I am looking for. Something like Jason Schleifer's fast rig setup DVD for Maya. If Joe's is in the same vein I will be very happy with it.

JoeCosman
08-15-2003, 09:33 PM
I'm always on the lookout on how to make these things better.
I appreciate any input from those who've seen them .

tjnyc
08-21-2003, 07:28 PM
Joe,

Got the CD yesterday, and I am very please with what I got. Just breeze by some of the stuff, and I kept thinking "that's really cool". You have a great knowledge of the program from what I can see and your explanation was pretty clear and easy to follow.

Got any timeframe for the rest of your training CDs.

Regards,
-
T

JoeCosman
08-21-2003, 08:58 PM
yeah... Next one in the near future. Face setup CD should be available by the weekend.

I'll have a teaser up soon.

tjnyc
08-21-2003, 09:26 PM
NICE! :applause:

JoeCosman
08-21-2003, 09:58 PM
Teaser up.

http://www.joecosman.com/messiahtuts/FaceAnimated.mpg

This is animated with the setup that will be included on the Face Rigging CD.

Andy741
08-22-2003, 02:04 AM
Cool animation. I'm curious if that was captured from real-time playback?

dfaris
08-22-2003, 02:14 AM
I'll tell you what, I have been able to see these tuts for the face rig and DAMN! they are so freaking cool. After looking at these tuts I cant belive how easy Joe makes it to set up an animate the face. This rig is going to be part of my setup from here on in.

Get the face rig tuts you will not be sorry.

Dave

JoeCosman
08-22-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Andy741
Cool animation. I'm curious if that was captured from real-time playback?

Actually, the playback was faster. This is just a saved playblast.

dfaris
08-22-2003, 02:46 AM
Hey Joe,

Whats the messiah IRC channel?

JoeCosman
08-22-2003, 04:16 AM
hop on IRC.freenode.net and go to #messiah3d

JoeCosman
08-25-2003, 12:36 AM
Sorry to those who are waiting for the Face Rigging CD.
I'm still encoding and assembling the disc.

It should be available to buy by late Monday/early Tuesday.

-Joe

isobarxx
08-27-2003, 02:23 AM
Hey Joe what sort of setup does the facial CD deal with? MuscleBones? Morphs? UltraCoolThingNobodyEverThoughtOf? =)

rich

JoeCosman
08-27-2003, 04:52 AM
www.joecosman.com

Face rigging tutorial disc is now finished and order-able online.

Sorry for the delay.

-Joe

Jonathan
08-28-2003, 01:49 PM
Yep, just ordered the head rigging tutorial CD. The problem I had with the ordering was I would have liked to know the e-mail address that was going to be contacting me ahead of time. Maybe it was there and I just didn't see it.

I keep my private e-mail filtered so that if you're not in my address book, I'll never see that mail. I had to turn off that filter, but for only a minute or so while I waited for the reciept which was not really a headache, but did make me vulnerable to spammers and people who send viruses online for just that moment, and a moment is all that it takes.

Other than that, ordering went without a hitch!.

Monty
08-29-2003, 09:31 AM
Hey Joe, can you mail internationally using regular mail? FedEx is almost the same price as the CD....

I wanted to order but the mailing cost stopped me.

JoeCosman
08-29-2003, 04:50 PM
Yup. Half the orders are outside the US, I've been sending them Airmail or Global Priority.

Just highlight USPS on the order and it'll get to you.

p.s. I've started the mini-tuts CD.

chikega
08-30-2003, 09:22 PM
Hi Joe,
I just got the CD's in - I perused through them quickly. Nicely done tutorials - articulate, very efficient and to the point. I never had the opportunity to check out CharacterFX's tapes but these will definitely supercharge my learning experience.

My only small criticism is that the Face Rigging (~35min) is half the length of the Body Rigging tutorial but cost almost as much. But, hey, I'm not complaining. There's just not that much out there in they way of training tapes - so you've got the market cornered - keep pumping them out, my man - my credit card is ready.
;)

Jonathan
08-30-2003, 10:21 PM
AAAHHH another happy customer. HHHMMMMM I'm really looking forward to those training vids when they get here. I've already rigged a face before, it's just that there may be an easier way of doing it which would require less bones.

Yep, truth be told, it's hard to find anything as far as Messiah tutorials on the web. In Lightwave you find tutorials on everything from the rutor to the tudor. Hell, I once found a tutorial on how to make a chess game in Lightwave using Lscript.

rnb2
08-31-2003, 03:08 AM
Haven't had a chance to check out the face rigging CD yet (just picked it up from FedEx today), but I trust it's of the same high quality as the body rigging CD. I've actually gone back to the CharacterFX DVDs that I've had for a couple years (or more) to see what else I can learn from them. I'll try to do a "compare and contrast" in the next couple days - honestly, a case can be made for getting both, as they do approach things in a different fashion.

As for the paucity of training materials for messiah, I'm actually finding it a bit liberating. I've been mucking about with LW since V1.0 on the Toaster (33Mhz Amiga 2000 - now there was a screaming render box!), but I've never been able to make much headway, and seemed to fall further behind as new features were added with each release. With messiah, I feel more like I'm getting in on the ground floor and learning the software at the same time as the "experts", and it's a lot easier to not feel overwhelmed by information when there aren't pages filled with tutorials. messiah also feels a lot more focused and straightforward in its processes than LW these days - LW feels like so many things have been grafted on over the years, and really feels kinda cumbersome to me now.

Along with finally getting a good workflow for modeling - main "sculpting" in ZBrush, with tweaks in LW Modeler - this has really helped me feel like I'm finally accomplishing something. In fact, I've just started animating the first character that I've modeled and rigged from scratch, which is a pretty amazing feeling after being somewhat involved in the CG animation world for over a decade. It's great to be using a package that feels so modern and streamlined, and so influenced by the user base.

JoeCosman
08-31-2003, 04:39 AM
Comparisons are nice. Not only do they help people see what is out there, but the critiques also help people like me and John Riggs put out better stuff. I'm very interested in what people say and need, and what needs to be improved, so the input is much appreciated.

-Joe

www.joecosman.com

isobarxx
08-31-2003, 12:12 PM
Heya Joe. I'm ordering the character rigging CD, so I'm sure I'll have some words to say about how yours and John's tapes compare ;)

I'll be very interested to see your Animation Basics video. It makes a big difference actually seeing how different people apply animation techniques in 3d as opposed to just reading about it.

Can you tell us more about what you've got planned for the mini-tuts or pricing? It'd be cool to see some step by step tutorials on rigging a muscle bone based face or some stuff on scripting. =)

Thanks very much for your effort!
rich

Jonathan
08-31-2003, 12:12 PM
I agree with ya to a point rbn2. Yeah, messiah does seem to offer a more broad suite that simply using Lightwave or Max alone. Having the ability to export projects to multiple apps is a plus indeed.

I sold a few meshes in my time, and wanted to get into selling rigged meshes, but they would have been lightwave specific which was a bummer. Actually it seems quite daft when I think on it too long.

I'm certainly glad that pmG made the move to go with a more open market plan than sticking with Lightwave. Using this scheme helps me to develope animation for more than just one app which is always a plus in this proffession

tjnyc
08-31-2003, 05:43 PM
Joe,

I just got the Face CD, haven't checked it out yet, but one nagging problem I have with it and the rigging CD is the sticker for the CD case. It is a bit of a pain to take it off as it flakes off in small pieces, so you can imagine what a mess it causes. I don't know how much more expensive those clear stickers that are used on music CDs and DVDs are, but those would be much nicer than the paper stickers. Just a thought, won't change my mind from buying more CDs from you in the future.

Regards,

JoeCosman
08-31-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by isobarxx
[B
Can you tell us more about what you've got planned for the mini-tuts or pricing? It'd be cool to see some step by step tutorials on rigging a muscle bone based face or some stuff on scripting. =)
rich [/B]

basically, I have a list of smaller techniques that I use that I'm just gonna start recording till they're all checked off. When I hit 60 minutes worth of video, I'll put it to CD.

some of the tuts that will definitely be on the first one is:

-Joint volume Compensation
-deformable shoulder
-spherise
-metaEffectors(there are too many uses for this, so I'll split it up into specific applications)

-Joe

isobarxx
09-01-2003, 12:39 PM
Right on. Sounds interesting =)

rich

JoeCosman
09-01-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by tjnyc
Joe,

I just got the Face CD, haven't checked it out yet, but one nagging problem I have with it and the rigging CD is the sticker for the CD case. It is a bit of a pain to take it off as it flakes off in small pieces, so you can imagine what a mess it causes.
Regards,

I was assuming that most people would just run a pencil tip through the seal and be done with it. I try to leave enough gap for that. I'll see about getting a different type of seal.

-joe

chikega
09-01-2003, 08:09 PM
Hi Joe,

I've been going through the videos in more detail over this long Labor Day weekend and I'm amazed how easy it is to setup a rig in Messiah. It's nice to be able to jump back and forth between the Setup and Animate Tab. It's quite amenable to experimentation which is what I've been doing.

I'm very new to rigging and have only attempted only one or two in LW and never finished. I've gotten to the hand rigging portion of the tutorials and I wasn't quite happy with the slight garden-hose bending in the fingers. So, I added some small bones to do a little joint compensation - I'm not even sure if this is considered common practice. But it does add a nice angular bend to the joints as if there was bone under the skin. What are your thoughts on adding little bones like this? Is this how some industry professionals handle this issue? Does Messiah have built-in solutions? Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself ;)

http://www.3ddmd.com/images/MessiahFinger1.JPG
http://www.3ddmd.com/images/MessiahFinger1a.JPG

chikega
09-01-2003, 08:11 PM
I just read your post on how you're going to cover Joint Compensation in the upcoming CD. Am I on the right track atleast? :)

Jonathan
09-01-2003, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I know what ya mean chikega.

I usually use limited range and slip when I do fingers.

dfaris
09-01-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by chikega
Hi Joe,

My only small criticism is that the Face Rigging (~35min) is half the length of the Body Rigging tutorial but cost almost as much. But, hey, I'm not complaining. There's just not that much out there in they way of training tapes - so you've got the market cornered - keep pumping them out, my man - my credit card is ready.
;)

Hey chikega,

I thought the same thing, but if you think about it The basic setup
tut spends 60 mins setting up whole body so you have the spine, arm, hands, legs, feet and head so you get like 10 or 15 mins on each part and thats all you need for the basic stuff but if you look at the face tuts you have 30 mins all on setting up the face. I think Joe should have charged more for the info on the face rigging tut. The information he teaches could have taken a lot longer then 30 mins to learn. Just trying to animate a face is hard enough but when he shows you how to make the morphs and the way the face moves when people talk and make facial expressions could have taken years of watching people. The content in these tuts is well worth the $40 Thats just my thoughts on the subject. Its the old saying its quality not quantity.
But I know what you mean I want to know more of whats in Joe's head.

rnb2
09-02-2003, 04:55 AM
Chikega,

Your solution is one way to handle deformations in the fingers. Another way to do it, which I learned from John Riggs' tutorial DVDs, is to place the ends of the bones as close as possible to where the joint is in reality. So, the tip of each finger bone should be close to the top of the finger, right near the knuckle. That way, you get a fairly sharp bend on the top of the finger, as well as a fairly realistic "bunching up" of the "meat" on the bottom side.

This also applies to elbows, knees, etc, and seems to work quite well.

Rick

chikega
09-10-2003, 01:37 AM
John Riggs and CharacterFX is back - he'll probably post here soon:

http://www.characterfx.com
http://www.jriggs.net

Don't go to:

http://www.johnriggs.com

Jonathan
09-11-2003, 01:43 PM
AAAHHHH I just got my Cosman Face CD. Man it is pretty good, far better quality than I expected.

I love the way that the videos are annexed into chapters and the narration seems well planned, clear and precise. I'm not sure if that's your voice or not Joe but it's very easy on the ears.

I remember having Lightwave Videos when I had Lightwave 4.0 and one of those guys spoke so fast that I had to keep rewinding the tape to understand what he was saying. Very annoying. Then there are those videos where the narrator has a serious case of the "uuuhhhhssss!" which is equally annoying.

This is very good work and the instruction is clear and easy to follow.

Bravo! :thumbsup:

isobarxx
09-12-2003, 03:23 PM
Seriously.. that has to be the coolest, simplest reverse foot I've seen. ever.

The channel hijacking trick was pretty cool too. Way to go, Joe! =)

chikega
09-25-2003, 01:40 PM
Joe Cosman and John Riggs,

As you know, we're glad to have you back, John, and as you mentioned, on PmG's Yahoo forum, you want to start making tutorial "tapes" again.

Joe and John, I hope you both will keep the lines of communication open between you too. You both are super instructors and could have some sort of collaboration, each one covering different aspects of Messiah, or at the very least, making sure that there's no overlap between the material. So, what do you guys think?

JoeCosman
09-25-2003, 05:39 PM
We'll do whatever we can to teach people that Messiah is the best tool around for animators and TDs

While John and I may cover the same subjects, we do so in different styles. Ultimately, the goal is to provide the best teaching material to everyone, regardless of who makes it.

I believe we both compliment each other's curriculums.

pelos
10-12-2003, 11:56 PM
whats is going to be in the mini tutorials?

i still belive that is a little expancive, i belive they should be like the lost pencil cd,
but that is just my mind

thanks

JoeCosman
10-13-2003, 08:28 PM
Sorry for the long delay, I am still recording the video portions, and I want to make sure that the project files you get to play with are worthwhile.

here are a few of the models in the mini-tuts CD:

Control Heirarchies segment:

http://www.joecosman.com/messiahtuts/images/MiniTut_Hand.jpg

--

MetaEffectors segment:

http://www.joecosman.com/messiahtuts/images/MiniTut_Mech.jpg

--

Root IK Fan Shoulder, Muscle bone Shoulder, Joint volume compensation Segment:

http://www.joecosman.com/messiahtuts/images/MiniTut_Torso.jpg

There are a couple more models on this CD, and I am also including the wings3d files I created them from. Just have patience with this one.

-Joe

mg3d
10-13-2003, 08:35 PM
Damn Joe,
I can see that your modeling skills went right down the toilet!

/me dives in the toilet hoping to retrieve them.

-mG

Sil3
10-14-2003, 04:34 AM
Just for the models that CD will be worth it :beer: Any release dates expected?

Julez4001
10-14-2003, 06:07 AM
So the Reverse foot setup is really kool...

Is it like the tutorial on the messiah docs/cd or entirely new way and how long did it take to rig..

Is it scable for easily moving to another character of a different size?

isobarxx
10-14-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Julez4001
So the Reverse foot setup is really kool...

Is it like the tutorial on the messiah docs/cd or entirely new way and how long did it take to rig..

Is it scable for easily moving to another character of a different size?

It's not like a *new* way... Just really impressive in its simplicity. It's like... foot zen ;) In fact everything on the CD is like that. His methodology is really really efficient.

I don't want to disenfranchise Joe here and lay it out... Unless you're seriously broke, just buy the CD and eat ramen for a couple weeks. You won't regret it. Or at least I didn't.

Even though they're very expensive!!
sorry ^_^

rich

Chewey
10-14-2003, 01:05 PM
Those models look very nice indeed!
Enough to spark my interest in your videos. Are you looking to include tutes on some of the newer features of messiah:studio, i.e. texturing etc.

Julez4001
10-14-2003, 01:34 PM
So he is really thorugh in his explanation and simplicity.

what about arm IK/FK?

Sil3
10-14-2003, 04:05 PM
So he is really thorugh in his explanation and simplicity.

what about arm IK/FK?

IK/FK Arms are a breeze to make in Messiah since day one, havent u seen the free videos on John Riggs website?

Just make your regular arm setup using IK with an expression, then use a Keyfader expression tied to a slider to turn into FK, really theres nothing more simple than that. There are even examples in the docs to use this, guess u missed them, but they are there since 1.57 plug.

JoeCosman
10-14-2003, 04:47 PM
I try to be thorough and clear about explaining what I'm doing, but If something isn't understandable after going through the video and project files, let me know so I can find a better way of teaching it.

As for the IK/FK switch, John Riggs has a free download movie if you want to grab it from his site(www.characterFX.com)

My version is also going to be on the mini-tuts CD. It's a fairly standard operation, so our materials may overlap. I just have a few more to record and edit and we'll be ready to rock.

running time is estimated at 60 to 72 min. I'll have a more precise number once I'm done recording.

-Joe

Julez4001
10-14-2003, 07:28 PM
I already know how to do FK/IK setups but hearing about his reverse foot setup, I was thinking it was a new setup or very original-customized trick.

Sil3
10-14-2003, 07:50 PM
I already know how to do FK/IK setups but hearing about his reverse foot setup, I was thinking it was a new setup or very original-customized trick.

Itīs a very original-customized trick, in fact itīs so simple that i wondered how i didnīt though about that before, but i didnīt and Joe did :applause:

Julez4001
10-21-2003, 01:00 PM
Any forearm rotating tricks..I have a bad time with my forearm
and wrist really twisting badly on normal human poses.

Julez4001
10-21-2003, 01:01 PM
JOE - what are next mini Cds about?

Character or texture/render stuff.
I about to buy one of ur cds but odn't know which one yet.

JoeCosman
10-21-2003, 11:59 PM
This is a listing of the Mini-tutorial videos for Messiah:Animate 3.3

ControlHierarchy1 (ControlHierarchyA.fxs)
Part 1: Create a separate heirarchy to simplify control on a complex finger mesh.
Use expressions and channels to add controls. learn the importance of Expression order in the commands list.

ControlHierarchy2 (ControlHierarchyB.fxs)
Part 2: Continuation linking a control heirarchy to a mesh for simpler selections. Use expressions to create controls for a shoulder, elbow, and wrist.

IKFan1
Learn how to use the IK2d Solver to smooth out joint pinching with in-line fan bones.

IKFan2 (IKfanB.fxs)
Blend the IK Root joint on a shoulder with fan bones and Expression channels. Learn how to override expressions to correct double transforms.

IKSwitch (IKswitchA.fxs)
Use the Keyfader Expression with IK2d to create an animateable IK/FK slider switch.

JointComp1
Learn how muscle bones and slip can preserve volume on a pinching mesh.

JointComp2 (JointCompA.fxs)
Use Muscle Bones and the slip feature to counter geometry pinching on a forearm mesh.

JointComp3 (IKFanA.fxs)
Use Muscle bones and the slip feature to counter geometry pinching and distortion on a shoulder mesh.

MetaRigid1 (MetaEffectRigidA.fxs)
Part 1: Use the MetaEffector tool to separate many meshes in a single object file for mechanical animation. Learn the difference between Factored and Direct Weights on the skeleton effect.

MetaRigid2 (MetaEffectRigidB.fxs)
Part 2: A continuation using MetaEffectors for mechanical animation. Learn how to assign MetaEffectors to bones and how to name them.

MetaSoft (MetaEffectSoftA.fxs)
Use MetaEffectors to Customize what the Bone deformer does to a character mesh.

SceneOrg (SceneOrgA.fxs)
Learn the importance of using Nulls to organize a scene.
Sort out and organize 3 characters and an environment into easy-to-see lists.

Spherize (SpherizeA.fxs)
Use the Spherize Effect to control blinking Eyelid morph targets on a cartoon mesh.

I'll have a teaser video up tomorrow. :-)

JoeCosman
10-22-2003, 12:00 AM
Oh, and the running time on this CD is 91 minutes.

-Joecosman.com

dfaris
10-22-2003, 12:52 AM
DAMN!

Joe these mini tuts look like they kick A$$

Julez4001
10-22-2003, 03:01 AM
When will these badboys be released and will u have a "bundle package" pricing.

tjnyc
10-22-2003, 02:04 PM
Wow! Awesome stuff Joe. I can't wait to get this new CD. :thumbsup:

dfaris
10-22-2003, 09:00 PM
Hot Damn the mini tuts are up and ready.

I had a chance to check them out, Damn there is some good stuff in these tuts. The way he takes the whole arm setup with lots and lots of bones and reduces it to 7 or 8 bones to control the whole thing including fingers is amazing.

The whole fan bone tuts are pretty impressive and once you apply it to your rig, it does not get any easier then this.

I'm checking out the rest of the mini tuts right now I will let you know what I think.

The MetaRigid tuts are really nice. I have not done much animating with rigid body stuff so these really showed me how easy it is to setup and animate stuff like this. Joe makes eveything look so easy.

Just finished the jointcomp tuts I really like these too. I love how he shows how to use muscle bones in different situations to get the mesh to deforem the way you want it to.

The models he includes in the tuts are freaking great. I wish I could model this well.

I see he has posted info about bundles and prices. He even has a discount for the folks that bought the Face setup tut. Click on the CD to see more about the tuts.

Julez4001
10-22-2003, 09:28 PM
Come on Joe..make my day.... Bundle Pricing

any 2 or all 3 pack!:love: :applause:

JoeCosman
10-22-2003, 11:54 PM

should you feel inclined, there are some specials down the page.

I've had alot of fun making this tutorial CD. I hope you all have as much fun playing with the files on the disk as I did making them.

-Joe

tOd
10-23-2003, 01:59 PM
Cool!!! Thanks Joe!!

I have your first two and just ordered the third last night. Man I wish I had noticed last week Im having to set up a character this week and I could use your shoulder tutorial bad. Im sure the CD probably wont get here until next week but thats not your problem. Anyway is the shoulder set up something I can add on to your rig you show in the first CD? I will be using that to set up the character.

Thanks so much for the great tutorials on what is becoming my favorite animaion package.

dfaris
10-25-2003, 11:06 PM
tOd,

I have been able to check out the tuts and you should be able to add the shoulder setup to the rig prety easy. You have to add a few bones and muscle bones but you should have no problem adding them in.

tOd
10-25-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by dfaris
tOd,

I have been able to check out the tuts and you should be able to add the shoulder setup to the rig prety easy. You have to add a few bones and muscle bones but you should have no problem adding them in.

Very cool! Thanks for the info.

HellBorn
10-31-2003, 10:26 AM
Any chance that you could put up a short teaser (1-2Mb) at the same quality as on the CD. I understand that It wont be long but It would be nice to know what quality to expect.

Julez4001
10-31-2003, 02:17 PM
I just ordered all three so it be great to have the first one even though I am pretty sure how to do everything beside the kool reverse foot setup that everyone been clamoring about.

JoeCosman
10-31-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by HellBorn
Any chance that you could put up a short teaser (1-2Mb) at the same quality as on the CD. I understand that It wont be long but It would be nice to know what quality to expect.

Here Ya Go:

http://www.JoeCosman.com/Messiahtuts/FullSizeDemo.wmv

-Joe

Bill_nuts
10-31-2003, 08:59 PM
Just received my cds from Joe and have been going through them.
They are fantastic and packed with some very useful information that I can use to improve my existing rigs.
I was also encouraged to see a couple of techniques that I use already.
Perhaps Pmg could consider making these cds an optional extra with new purchasers of messiah. Great learning material.

Just can't recomend these cds enough!

Fantastic.

Bill.

tOd
11-01-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Bill_nuts
Just received my cds from Joe and have been going through them.
They are fantastic and packed with some very useful information that I can use to improve my existing rigs.
I was also encouraged to see a couple of techniques that I use already.
Perhaps Pmg could consider making these cds an optional extra with new purchasers of messiah. Great learning material.

Just can't recomend these cds enough!

Fantastic.

Bill.

I second that!! Man I just went through Joe's Mini tuts CD. All I can say is

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Awsome! Learned so much. Thanks Joe for insight into your techniques and sharing with the community.

Also, thanks to PMG for such kick butt software! Im daily being amazed at the abilities of this software.

chikega
11-04-2003, 07:13 AM
Yes, I second that, I don't know how I would have ever learned so much in so little time without your vids. I'm looking forward the the "Animation Basic" CD.:)

tjnyc
11-04-2003, 02:27 PM
Yeah, the mini-tuts CD is the best out of all three, I don't know how you plan on topping this one, but I look forward to seeing your next CD.

Julez4001
11-04-2003, 02:51 PM
whats the usual shipping time with standard USPS
5 business days or 7

JoeCosman
11-04-2003, 03:01 PM
it's quite a toss up. some have arrived in as little as 2 days, some take the full 2 weeks.

USPS says 4 or 5 days, but it's been taking about twice as long. especially shipping outside the US.

It's amazing how much new stuff I've learned just presenting what I know. The only other program that I've been so excited about because of it's potential was A:M, and that was several years ago.

Folks, this one's real. I've been using it for almost 3 years and I still find new ways to do things.

-Joe

dobermunk
11-04-2003, 03:09 PM
Personally,. I'd love to see endless mini-tuts.

I started to get the feel with the more step-by step ones that they should be part of the basis messiah tutorials, with the exception of cool tips like your finger controls on bank.

Very nice tip, that was!

But they mini-totorials are just much more helpful. Get to the grits!

Would love to see things with the other effects, particularly flex.
And a really efficiency-minded approach top anuimating and setting keys - look forward to that animation basics!

Julez4001
11-06-2003, 03:28 AM
It just came in and I have to say its fantastic!
The inverse foot setup was like DUH!..why didn't I figure out.
Very sweet setup you got there, Joe!

HellBorn
11-07-2003, 09:58 AM
Thank's for the teaser.
You will probably recive an order for all three in short.

chalbers
11-12-2003, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by JoeCosman
I'm always on the lookout on how to make these things better.
I appreciate any input from those who've seen them .

From the demo's that are online. That looks very cool Joe. Nice work !

Frank Aalbers

HellBorn
11-13-2003, 01:11 PM
I'm almost done with the body CD. Excellent tutorials!

My Fault
11-13-2003, 09:11 PM
Awesome job Joe! I gave them all a quick run through and will be diving in deeper this weekend and actually put all this great info to use with the demo. Now I count the days til the full version of Messiah arrives. Woohoo!

HellBorn
11-17-2003, 06:41 AM
I'm following head tutorial and in the MorphBlender tutorial
the morphs are visible when Cosman pulls the sliders while he is in setup mode.

I could not to get that to work while following the
tutorial or if I loaded the allready done scene.

I do however not have any
problem with the functionality in animation mode.

Cosman is using v3.3 and I'm using studio 1.5b.

What's up?

JoeCosman
11-17-2003, 02:50 PM
You're right.

Studio 1.5b morphs do not operate in Setup Mode.

The workaround at the moment is pretty much what your doing right now: toggle to animate tab to check the slider, then toggle back to setup mode to continue.

mg3d
11-17-2003, 02:53 PM
If your host app is LightWave , you can try using SuperBlender. It works great with lw's endomorphs.

:D
-mG

fwtep
11-17-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by HellBorn
I'm following head tutorial and in the MorphBlender tutorial
the morphs are visible when Cosman pulls the sliders while he is in setup mode.

I could not to get that to work while following the
tutorial or if I loaded the allready done scene.
You can get them to work in Setup by clicking in the box to the right of the MorphBlender enable/bypass button in the Item List. You'll see an "a" appear, and then you'll be able to use the sliders while in Setup. But what that feature is called is "Setup Blocking," which means that technically that item (the MorphBlender effect) is no longer in Setup. So if you're continuing to work on it you should take it back out of Setup Blocking.

Fred

chikega
11-21-2003, 01:24 PM
This quote is from the "Muscle simulation" thread:

Originally posted by grzesiekj
you can achieve the skin sliding, using Metaeffectors, and for example Bloat (with dynamic weights)
attach your Metaeffetors to the bones, and you will have a nice combination of muscle/skin movements.

cheers

G.Jonkajtys

This would be an awesome tutorial .... grzesiekj, joe cosman, john riggs .... anyone, anyone ... I would gladly throw money your way on how to do this step-by-step :)

chikega
11-22-2003, 08:24 PM
Here's a little GIF showing a little animation I did after going through Joe's tutorial. Joe shows how to keep the teeth from being stretched using Metaeffectors. I took the tutorial one step forward and added some loose skin around the creatures neck. I then added Soft_body with Metaeffectors to this area and animated - et voila!

http://www.3ddmd.com/images/Messiah/Demon_soft.gif

What d' ya think, Joe?;)

tangledpath
11-26-2003, 06:34 PM
How well do Joe's tutorials (apparently done for 3.3) translate to 4.0? Are there any plans to release an updated version?

Thanks!

Julez4001
11-27-2003, 01:36 AM
Go ahead and grabbed them. The few things that are there are mostly cosmetic.

SheepFactory
11-27-2003, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by tangledpath
How well do Joe's tutorials (apparently done for 3.3) translate to 4.0? Are there any plans to release an updated version?

Thanks!

i just finished watching joe's vids and yes they transfer to 4.0 just fine.

JoeCosman
11-28-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by chikega

http://www.3ddmd.com/images/Messiah/Demon_soft.gif

What d' ya think, Joe?;)

Dude, sweet!

huijiao2001
01-01-2004, 11:16 AM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=101747

jipe
01-10-2004, 12:38 AM
Just noticed that Joe has the Animation Basics CD up on his site for $60. I was disappointed to find that the Character Rigging and Rigging a Face CDs were discontinued, since I planned on purchasing all the tutorial CDs once Animation Basics was put up for sale. I am absolutely new to messiah and a novice at 3d in general, and I was hoping to get the videos and really dive into the program. Do you have plans to redo the discontinued tutorials, or replace them with other ones? I will certainly order the 2 that you're selling now, but anything more is awesome..

freekin3D
01-13-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by jipe
Just noticed that Joe has the Animation Basics CD up on his site for $60. I was disappointed to find that the Character Rigging and Rigging a Face CDs were discontinued, since I planned on purchasing all the tutorial CDs once Animation Basics was put up for sale. I am absolutely new to messiah and a novice at 3d in general, and I was hoping to get the videos and really dive into the program. Do you have plans to redo the discontinued tutorials, or replace them with other ones? I will certainly order the 2 that you're selling now, but anything more is awesome..

I got the animation tutorials yesterday. Myself being a newbe as well they really helped a lot. I can't say enough good things about these :buttrock: , and they are "another" good resource to have.

dfaris
01-14-2004, 04:47 AM
I just finished running through these tuts and they are real cool.
Every time I watch one of these tuts that Joe does I really see how much power messiah has and how easy they make it.

JoeCosman
01-15-2004, 09:42 PM
here's the teaser for the animation CD:
http://www.joecosman.com/messiahtuts/animCDteaser.wmv

those who have purchased the demos and are waiting for the postman, here's the scene file to the teaser above:

http://www.joecosman.com/messiahtuts/AnimCDFree.zip

hope you have fun.

-Joe

nvvm
01-16-2004, 02:56 PM
I'm disappointed if I can't buy the character rigging and face rigging cd's, why buy any at all. I can't think of one good reason for them to be cancelled, and ythe question is being avoided.

JoeCosman
01-16-2004, 03:02 PM
I posted here:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115722

if enough people Ask, I'll put the bundle back up.

dfaris
01-16-2004, 06:47 PM
AH! Joe must have received some emails about the rigging CD because he put them back up.

See Joe listens to what people want.

maks
01-24-2004, 09:45 PM
Hi Joe,

just wanted to say that your rolling demos on the animatoin CD are extremely fun to watch! :) Very entertaining, and nicely done - it's like watching theater :)

Nice job:thumbsup:

M.

dobermunk
01-24-2004, 09:48 PM
!

bradenbickle
06-02-2004, 03:15 PM
Has anyone ever received a video from John Riggs?

I paid money for one but have yet to see or get a response.

Is he a phantom?

tjnyc
06-02-2004, 03:19 PM
No he is around. He is had updated and new stuff coming out as soon as 2.0 is released. That might be why it is delayed. I would email him to find out.

bradenbickle
06-02-2004, 03:24 PM
I have been trying to email him but haven't received any response.

I don't even care about 2.0.

I'm using animate 4.0.

phenobarbidoll
06-02-2004, 06:52 PM
After reading all this thread, it really seem that those CD are a "must have". I'm thinking ordering "Body and Face Rigging CD "

Can someone explain the difference in the shipping method:
USPS
FedEx
FedEx(international)....?
...if that can explain the prise, and how fast they are (FedEx(international)....? =40₮ :surprised :surprised )
By the way i'm ordering from Europe (france), if that can make a point in choice of the shipping method.

bradenbickle
06-02-2004, 07:04 PM
It depends if you are talking about Joe's videos or John Riggs videos.

If it's John Riggs videos you are talking about I would go for the cheapest method of shipping because, quite frankly, he aint shipping them out tomorrow no matter what you choose.

phenobarbidoll
06-02-2004, 07:21 PM
It was about Joe's videos.
I was afraid that from those 3 way of shipping, one or two were'nt international.
So they are ?

JoeCosman
06-02-2004, 09:30 PM
Fedex charges alot for international, which is why there are two types of Fedex. I ship USPS internationally all the time, and I'd recommend that option(Because it's the cheapest).

because of customs, all options for international may take a week or two extra.
Sorry :(

For very special cases, there is also FTP.

hope this clears it up.

chikega
06-04-2004, 02:05 AM
Joe, my main man! Wuz up, home slice? You gettin' our next fix ready for rev 2 or whut? ;)

phenobarbidoll
06-04-2004, 07:45 PM
Thank's Joe :p
Yes it is now
I already learn quite well with the few seconds of video that were available (from the docs or by digging the net)(believe me, i know them by heart), that i just can't imagine how that will improve my way of working with hours of tuts.
Just the time to rub my card to make the genius come out, and i order 2 from yours. ;)

JoeCosman
06-22-2004, 01:40 AM
Rigging 2 is soon to be finished. look for it in another week and a half....
Here are models in this next CD:
http://www.joecosman.com/messiahtuts/Images/Rig2_Dog.jpg

http://www.joecosman.com/messiahtuts/Images/Rig2_MuscleMan.jpg

later,
-Joe Cosman

tuna
06-22-2004, 03:30 AM

Sweet! Looking forward to it :)

chikega
06-22-2004, 03:38 AM
Quad rigs! Sweet. You know, I have a quad rig that might interest you ... oh never mind :)

bradenbickle
06-22-2004, 03:47 AM
This question is for Joe:

I have a couple of specific things I want to find out how to rig properly.

Elbows and knee controls specifically

I have John's CDs but there are a few things left out here and there like the elbows/knees type areas that go beyone the basic rig.

Do your CDs go into more detail?

bradenbickle
06-22-2004, 03:49 AM
Also, how deep do you go into the compose arena?

So far, all the tuts out there (almost none) just cover the surface.

JoeCosman
06-22-2004, 04:27 AM
It's a good calve deep wade :-) It has enough data and info to get you started on making more complex test scenes....even if you dont need the videos.

JoeCosman
06-22-2004, 04:30 AM
This question is for Joe:

I have a couple of specific things I want to find out how to rig properly.

Elbows and knee controls specifically
... ...

Do your CDs go into more detail?
There are lessons in joint compensation and simple armatures in the mini-tuts, elbow and knee controls in the Rigging tutorials, and similar controls on the models in the animation tutorials.

-joe

dfaris
06-22-2004, 10:58 PM
Damn Joe

The new tuts looks great. I see your modeling skills are still as good as ever.

chikega
06-22-2004, 11:16 PM
Joe, are you going to show off some of the work flow enhancements that's in the upcoming version of messiah?

JoeCosman
06-23-2004, 02:45 PM
for the most part, I've been trying to keep the techniques as cross-version compatible as possible.

Besides the armatures and Compose tutorials, all techniques on the cds can be applied back to 3.3(or any other program, for that matter)

Though, I'd keep an eye out for some VEEERY fun stuff in the next version ;-)
lyle, fori, Dan and friends have a habit of surprising everyone.
-Joe

The-G-Man
06-24-2004, 07:46 AM
As a new Messiah:Animate user I ordered both Joe Cosman and John Riggs tutorial videos to help me get off the runway.

Joe's CDs came pretty quick to the UK and are really great. I highly recommend them to anyone sat on the fence. However, I'm having a communication problem with characterfx.com (John Riggs). Anyone else had this? Paypal confirmed my payment but I've head nothing from characterfx.com.

My emails to characterfx.com and John Riggs' personal email address remain unanswered. Maybe I'm using the wrong soap? :)

The-G-Man
06-24-2004, 07:50 AM
Here are models in this next CD:

later,
-Joe Cosman
Out of interest Joe, what are you using to create your models?

mg3d
06-24-2004, 12:55 PM
Joe is a wings3d guru.

www.wings3d.com (http://www.wings3d.com/)

-mG

The-G-Man
06-24-2004, 01:04 PM
Guru is right. Those are really nice models.

JoeCosman
07-01-2004, 07:07 PM
sorry for the delay. I'm editing and encoding the last of the videos for rigging2

I hope to have the CDs ready by the end of the week.

there wasn't enough room on one, so it is being bridged to two CDs. yup. a two CD set.

I'll have a more complete chapter list when they're ready to go, but here's some of what's in there:

-rigging quadrupeds with more than 3 joints.
-rigging bipeds (standard instruction. similar to rigging1)
-IK/fk switches
-armatures on fingers and arms
-face rigging with bones
-metaEffector weighting for the face
-single bone Eyeball controls
-expressions(standard, similar to rigging 1)
-face pose setup with motionblender

all of it is created inside messiah:animate 4.0 and they're much crisper on the encoding(i.e. legible text, finally :)

peace,
-JoeCosman

mg3d
07-01-2004, 07:14 PM
nice to see you're keeping busy Joe. :)

-mG

bradenbickle
07-03-2004, 01:02 AM
Joe,

How much longer dude?

I just ordered Rigging one a few minutes ago. I can't wait to get it and would probably order the 2nd one ahead of time if you want to allow preorders.

JoeCosman
07-07-2004, 02:04 AM
http://www.joecosman.com/messiahtuts/rigging2.html

I haven't made the link through the main page yet, I'm still designing the covers.
for those who are interested, check the link above for the tutorials.

...over 3 and a half hours of rigging goodness :-)

have fun!
-JoeCosman

isobarxx
07-07-2004, 02:25 AM
Man on the one hand I'd like to see some more high tech stuff like Flexmotion and expression driven procedural motion, but.... Joe you just kick too much ass. I must buy and learn!

chikega
07-07-2004, 02:37 AM
My order has been placed Joe - always a treat to learn from you. :)

dfaris
07-07-2004, 03:57 AM
WOW Joe,

You have been working. Its good to see that you are sill doing this stuff. I thought we lost you and the great insight we all benefited from but I'm happy I was wrong. I will be placing my order.

Julez4001
07-07-2004, 04:15 AM
Hey are u gonan have an upgrade price for previous buyers.

Bill_nuts
07-07-2004, 04:29 AM
Good on you Joe,

I have been waiting for this and now it is ordered.

Always keen to learn new tips and ideas in my rigging. I can't speak highly enough of your animation CD. It was excellent with so much material to watch and learn from your rolling demos. Great animations.

Bill.

AlexK
07-07-2004, 08:12 AM
Hey Joe,
somewhere earlier this thread you wrote about bundle prices. Are they still available? If so how to get them? I am only able to place one order after another. There is no bundle switch or something.

Sil3
07-07-2004, 09:40 AM
Go Joe go, keep them coming :thumbsup:

tuna
07-07-2004, 02:12 PM
Coolness Joe :D

Ordering this sucker sometime this week hopefully.

JoeCosman
07-07-2004, 04:08 PM
bundle pricing is done as a separate purchase item through 2checkout.com. I've just barely finished adding the pages to the site, so I haven't had a chance to re-arrange the items for the Bundles.

if you are talking about ordering each item all at once, the main listing of items can be found here: https://www.2checkout.com/cgi-bin/buyers/orderpage.2c?sid=83892

JoeCosman
07-07-2004, 04:10 PM
Man on the one hand I'd like to see some more high tech stuff like Flexmotion and expression driven procedural motion, but.... Joe you just kick too much ass. I must buy and learn!
I have one more video to make, which is miniTutorials2.

I can fit alot of stuff into 1 1/2 hours of video......
-JoeCosman

isobarxx
07-07-2004, 06:37 PM
I have one more video to make, which is miniTutorials2.

I can fit alot of stuff into 1 1/2 hours of video......
-JoeCosman
Cool beans, Joe. Thanks very much for all the hard work and for sharing your knowledge.

rich

dfaris
07-13-2004, 05:22 AM
Hey Joe are you gonna make any changes to the new tuts now that the new releases are out?

maddav99
08-25-2004, 05:28 AM
I'm interested in both of Joe's riggin CD's- well, actually, I'm interested in all of them- but do any of them touch on MetaEffectors and how to set them up correctly. Which on, if I'm buying just one at the moment, is the best for a newbie?

ryders
08-25-2004, 06:53 AM
MetaEffectors are well covered, some of the best tutorial disks I have seen so far, and I have seen a lot of them. Really digging them as the models are acutally really well done, the meshes are clean and the explinations are very good. I'm trying to get a handle on messiah, well actually get a really quick start, and these disks rock for that.

Pixelnoir
08-25-2004, 08:59 AM
My Joe Cosman CD's arrived today. Been waiting a while, since Joe was in the midst of moving or something. I ordered them all. Even the old Messiah 3.3 one.

In a nutshell, AMAZING stuff. I sat and watched them all - about 5 hours worth, all told - and now.. ONLY now, do I see the incredible power inside Messiah. Coming from a Lightwave background, I watched Joe set up powerful rigs that would have brought LW to its knees - the man blazes along at an unbelievable rate (thank god for pause and rewind) but its all very clear and understandable. He starts from scratch, builds right through to completion - which is great.

Like most newbies to Messiah, I went through the included documentation, and well.. its hard to put into practice. Alot of gaps, alot of "okay, but what do I do next". Watching someone actually do it was a whole different thing - suddenly, the lights went on - and all the technogibberish I've been reading about on this list since I bought Messiah, most of which went completely over my head, began to make sense.

Quite frankly, unless you're experienced with Messiah, I dont think it makes sense to buy just one - only having them all can you truly appreciate what the package has to offer. Even the Animation basics CD had alot to impart. The chapters on Compose were jaw-dropping. LW's motionmixer is a joke by comparison.

For me, the coup de grace of the CD's are the rolling demos. Real Messiah scenes, playing back in realtime within Messiah, while Joe supplies voiceover - really shows off the speed and power of Messiah. It also shows Joe's considerable animation talent.

I'm converted now, thanks to Joe. I think PMG should include them with every copy of Messiah.

But thats just my opinion, I could be wrong ;)

Anxiously awaiting the new versions, Joe!

grooveon
08-25-2004, 10:32 AM
Hi Pixelnoir,

I was wondering, since you have the latest version of Messiah, has the program changed enough from the version in the training videos that might make it difficult for a newbie to follow along?

bradenbickle
08-25-2004, 01:41 PM
There are only a few gotchas as far as versions are concerned.

The best thing to do is read through the read me files to see what has changed.

All of the functionality is there, they just restructured and streamlined a few things.

2 things gave me trouble for a while until I asked Joe about them.

1: Hide and unhide items is a little different. 4.0 didn't have it at all. 5.0 brought it back but it's accessed a little differently.

2. Currently, if you hit "enter" or "delete" you get a window that pops up with almost no options in it. In 4.0 there were all kinds of options. This stumped me for a while, but all they did was move the options in the bottom left corner of the animation window, just above the graph editor and to the left of the dope sheet.

Other than that, things aren't different enough to worry about.

Get the videos. Get Messiah. Start animating. GodSpeed

Julez4001
08-25-2004, 01:59 PM
Yep I think messiah should be priced a lil more and just be forced to come with Joes CD.
One that would shut down a lot of questions and ppl whoa r eon the fence about the power of messiah can be set at ease.

dfaris
08-25-2004, 08:55 PM
I'm interested in both of Joe's riggin CD's- well, actually, I'm interested in all of them- but do any of them touch on MetaEffectors and how to set them up correctly. Which on, if I'm buying just one at the moment, is the best for a newbie?
Along with the other comments you should ask Joe what one you should get. The latest ones have what you are talking about but there is some overlap with the first ones. If I had to tell you what ones to get I would say all of them but you can get away with the latest one (a two cd set) and the mini tuts.

Joe is very good at telling you what is going on and does not skip anything when he is setting up the rig.

dfaris
08-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Yep I think messiah should be priced a lil more and just be forced to come with Joes CD.
One that would shut down a lot of questions and ppl whoa r eon the fence about the power of messiah can be set at ease.
I agree I think these CD's should come with Messiah. These CD's could get people up and running with messiah in a day and then we could go to the docs for details on a feature that we want to learn more about. I thnk these CD's would do wonders for Messiah.

Hey Joe are you going to do a tuts CD on special set ups like wings and things like that?

bradenbickle
08-26-2004, 01:47 AM
I have all of his videos.

He does quite a bit with Metaeffectors on the Mini Tutorials CD.

He incorporates them in the Rigging CDs as well, but there were several examples and techniques he described in the Mini Tutorial.

If you can only get one, get that one.

However, if you are new to Messiah, it might be a little over your head without having gone through the Rigging CDs.

maddav99
08-30-2004, 05:01 AM
Does anyone have something to say about John Riggs videos? I mean, c'mon, the guys name is RIGGS, he's got to be good, right? All joking aside, are his videos anything I should be looking at?

bradenbickle
08-30-2004, 01:21 PM
definitely,

I have two of them. I don't have the expressions one yet, mostly because I don't have studio.

It has some really fundamental stuff in there.

They both approach their tutorials differently so it's really nice to get the differences in work flow.

Cosman's are a little more up to date so it's a little easier to follow.

One thing I like about Riggs tuts is that he provides them on a DVD in a format so you can watch it on either computer or TV. I like that aspect so I can sit with my laptop in front of the TV without having to toggle between programs.

Cosman's on the other hand are on CDs and can only be run on your computer.

Just some points of difference, but overall I would advise to get everything you can.

I just hope someone out there does some dynamics and PFX tuts.

maddav99
09-16-2004, 11:22 PM
Okay, I have since gotten the Animate demo and have been playing around with it so I am back to my first question; if I am only going to buy one of Joe's videos- and I am speaking economically- wich one should I purchase first; the mini-tuts, animation, or rigging II?

JoeCosman
09-17-2004, 03:20 PM
perhaps the best way to get hooked on Messiah, is to actually animate in it. If the animation side is your pursuit, get the animation CD. There are many characters rigged on the animation CD you can disassemble, if you are curious about how I set them up.

If you come from a TD background, you will know alot about Rigging and skeletons already, so Mini-tuts may open your eyes as to how to solve other problems inside Messiah, such as use of the command tab for expressions, and using MetaEffectors for clustering a mesh.

Rigging2 takes you through 2 characters, 2 legged and 4 legged. many of the techniques are standard practice and well proven. Much of the content is geared toward people who can find their way around messiah basics, like navigation, tabs, and the item lists.

hope this helps.

-Joe C

maddav99
09-17-2004, 03:39 PM
I have to admit, a lot of my compel to buy your videos is your willingness to answere questions here. I'm looking forward to getting them!:thumbsup:

JoeCosman
03-25-2005, 03:51 PM
I just migrated my tutorial CDs over to CafePress.com
I apologize for dropping the web page ball and leaving some of you potential users out in the dark for a few weeks.

I checked and double checked the master CDs, but I want to make dead sure they're good to go, so I'm currently waiting for Cafepress to mail me the first run of CDs to check.

What this means to the buyers is a much more predictable shipping date, lower price point, and a 30 day money back guarantee.

anyway, if you haven't had a chance to try them out, they are easier to order now.

I would suggest you hold out until I can verify the data on each CD they send, but if you're feeling lucky, and wanna help me check them.... heres the URL:

www.cafepress.com/messiahtuts (http://www.cafepress.com/messiahtuts)

tjnyc
03-25-2005, 03:54 PM
Nice price point Joe. Any new stuff you are planing to come out with.

Cheers,

JoeCosman
03-25-2005, 04:15 PM
still working on mini-tuts2.

Puppetmaster secrets unlocked!!!

Leebre
03-25-2005, 05:20 PM
Nice price point

Agreed! (leebert whips credit card out)

My Fault
03-25-2005, 07:31 PM
Yeah, at that price point it took me all of two minutes to decide to buy the new rigging CD.

Hopefully you have many more planned Joe as your first couple were fantastic!

SpikeWorx
03-26-2005, 02:47 AM
Very nice price point Joe. I think Iīll buy them all.
Just one question. Iīve read that the CD will not work in some CD drives ?!? Is that right ?

tjnyc
04-02-2005, 05:44 PM
I got my CDs from CafeExpress. Delivered a week like they stated. Everything looks great! Looking forward to your Mini-Tuts 2. Will you cover MotionDynamics by any chance?

My Fault
04-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Got mine too, although I received my confirmation that they were sent the day after they got here. Goofy Cafe Press.

Great videos Joe! What are you working on next? You mentioned Puppetmaster, curious as I think your vids are some of the best tutorials out there.

JoeCosman
04-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Very nice price point Joe. I think Iīll buy them all.
Just one question. Iīve read that the CD will not work in some CD drives ?!? Is that right ?

Yeah, that was the tail end of a batch of Cd's I was cutting myself. CafePress uses a more industrial quality CD-R media, and they'll replace bad media, too.

to answer TJNYC, Yes Motion dynamics will be in MiniTuts 2.

Julez4001
04-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Alright
Joe Go ahead and post a list already:buttrock:

Any alternatives for cartoon eyes!

SpikeWorx
04-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Yeah, that was the tail end of a batch of Cd's I was cutting myself. CafePress uses a more industrial quality CD-R media, and they'll replace bad media, too.

to answer TJNYC, Yes Motion dynamics will be in MiniTuts 2.
Thanks. Ordered them all :thumbsup:.

chikega
04-03-2005, 04:09 AM
Looking forward to your next tutorial - always a treat! :)

poly-phobic
04-07-2005, 01:49 PM
why isnt this stickied?
how come its onlt joe's stuff there are for training?
this is day 4 with this software, and my biggest issue is the interface and navigation. some of the tools are self explandetry, but knowing where they are or how to apply them is sanother issue, will there be any basic messiah tutorials?

Parsec3d
04-08-2005, 05:51 AM
Just Got Animate 1 and it plays ok, shipping took like a week and a half to Mexico
which is by all means an awesome fact.

Antonio

pelos
04-08-2005, 10:29 AM
antonio where in mexico you livE?

to parsec3d

Parsec3d
04-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Mex City, df, bit far away from where you are.

tjnyc
04-09-2005, 04:29 AM
Joe,

I'm going over the Rigging 2 CD and I noticed that there is a problem with the channel in the feet scene for the bodybuilder. The part where the second expression is created to get the heading of the toes(Nate_ToesR) to follow the heading of the arch(Nate_ArchR). I did the following as you did in the video.

IK - Nate_RotateFootR
- [Nate_ArchR:heading]
o Nate_ToesR:heading

However, Nate_ToesR was completely turned to face the same heading as Nate_ArchR, unlike in the video. I loaded your Nate_SetupB.fxs scene to see if the setup was working and it was, but when I tried to reconstruct the setup with this scene, the same flip problem happened when creating the channel for the heading of Nate_ToesR to that of Nate_ArchR heading.

Cheers,

My Fault
04-09-2005, 04:43 AM
Try this. It was recommended by Lyle in another thread.

[Nate_ArchR:heading]+(DTOR*180)

I believe if you make sure you are in parent space when you are setting this up it works without the +(DTOR*180)

tjnyc
04-09-2005, 08:52 PM
Thanks. That does the trickhttp://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon13.gif

Cheers,

snitch7
04-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Hi Joe,

It's a bit off topic but have you ever thought about doing a modeling tute. Your meshes have always been so clean and I'd love to see you 'Wings' one up in a vid.

Regards
Snitch7

Leebre
05-10-2005, 04:01 AM
I received Rigging 2 and Animating 1 today. I've been skimming the videos and they look great. I can't wait to dive into them. The burn quality of the cds are very good and I had no problems opening and reading them.
I do have one suggestion: Your Cafe Press shop does not do your training CDs justice. It could really do with some sprucing up!

CGTalk Moderation
05-10-2005, 04:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.