PDA

View Full Version : baked hair is different to playback

peteb
10-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Hi everyone

I'm trying to bake out a simulation that uses Maya hair. It's running at 30 frames per second in my playback settings (which is what I want). The Simulation looks fine when I use the playback.
But if I set playback to every frame, or bake the simulation out, I get really erratic behavior, with the joints (I'm using the hair to drive the joints) jerking about all over the place.

I thought at first this may be the Eular rotations but it isn't.

I have a feeling I need to use Geometry cache in someway but I've enabled it and turned off "run up to current time" in the pref/dynamics. As the user manual recommends. I then press bake again but to no avail, I get exactly the same issue.

Anyone know how to solve this?

Peter

stooch
10-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Hi everyone
But if I set playback to every frame, or bake the simulation out, I get really erratic behavior, with

Peter

umm, when playing back ANY UNCACHED simulation, YOU MUST playback every frame...

sounds like your settings are unstable and the fact that you arent playing back every frame forces the solver to interpolate your unstable sim.

so, set your playback to every frame and fix your sim. you probably dont have enough damping or have some weird settings somewhere.

peteb
10-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Ah ok Stooch, cheers for that I'll see if I can get it to behave under play every frame.

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2009, 09:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.