PDA

View Full Version : Studio users - opinions on Render?

rnb2
08-11-2003, 10:44 PM
Well, like most of you, I spent the weekend messing with Rev9, and I'm extremely pleased with the work they've done - Armatures and AutoRig are fantastic, hope to delve into the Dynamics stuff over the next couple days.

I know there have been crash problems with Render, but I've pretty much eliminated that based on Fred's suggestion on the mailing list.

Given all that, how does everybody here feel about Render in its current state? I did some tests last night on the character that I tested AutoRig on (Tim Wilson's old "Strongman" humanoid), and was very pleasantly surprised by the speedup and quality of the render. I was rendering single frames at D1, one Panel light (quality 3, I think) with raytraced/volumetric shadows on, GI on both Monte Carlo and Hybrid, and was getting renders of 45 seconds or so on a ~1.75GHz AthlonXP with 1gb of ram.

I know Lightwave's renderer is top-notch, but it seems to require an awful lot of work to get the noise out of GI renders *and* get reasonable render times. I really like the GI look, and really liked how easy it was to set up in earlier Advance releases - but it was SLOW. Rev9 really seems to have fixed that, so I'm really starting to lean towards rendering in messiah now, as well. The look I'm going for is a combination of comic style (not cel-shaded) and clay, and the GI out of messiah looks like it might really do the trick.

While I have a free upgrade to LW8 coming, I honestly don't know how much I'll end up using it (I did like getting DFX+ for $499, though!). My workflow is VERY non-traditional - I'm modeling in ZBrush (and SketchUp for mechanical/architectural in the very near future), exporting OBJs, then loading into Modeler to assign surfaces and such, scale properly, etc., then animating in messiah. It's starting to look like the animation data might not be making a return trip to LW after all..................

Qslugs
08-12-2003, 12:37 AM
Agreeed. While I haven't had time to touch the new version yet, I was thinking the same thing myself. Hopefully the renderer can produce reasonable results. On top of that I am planning on dumping LW altogether if I can find a viable modeler. Modo and Silo are looking nice, I can't wait to test them. I refused to upgrade from 6.5 back when 7.0 was announced. I don't see the need to go to 8 either since messiah I think does the job quite nicely in the animation department. We'll have to see though. Maybey if they add Edge support, Newtek can have my 500 dollars. If not someone else gets it. Worst case is I either continue to use 6.5 or switch over to wings which is free.

Facial Deluxe
08-12-2003, 02:16 AM
rnb2,

Could you post a sample of the GI pic rendered in 45s please ?

rnb2
08-12-2003, 03:16 PM
FD - I'm not ignoring you, I just want to make sure I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing before I post an example. A lot of Render is still undocumented, so it can be tricky to figure out what certain things do right now. I did a lot of tests last night with various settings, and got some very encouraging results.

Just to whet your appetite a bit more, I did a GI + Panel light + soft reflections render at D1 res in about 2.5 minutes. This is a very simple setup - 1 med-res human object, Messiah's "built-in" floor (not really geometry, I think, but it acts like it) with a reflective material and soft reflections set, and one Panel light with raytraced, volumetric shadows (for soft edges). Looked really nice.

Facial Deluxe
08-12-2003, 05:22 PM
Go on man, explore the deepest of Messiah, and bring us back the results :)

Fact is I'm waiting for LW8 and see if I need to add another package like Messiah or Maya.

Thanx for your words :)

Qslugs
08-12-2003, 05:41 PM
I am not certain however I believe that the floor is the same thing as the procedural objects.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.