PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop 8 and Illustrator 11

rock
08-11-2003, 09:26 PM
Photoshop 8 and Illustrator will be released before year ends.

http://news.com.com/2100-1046_3-5062279.html?tag=lh

dell
08-12-2003, 09:04 AM
aarrr man, not another version, man i'm feed up trying to keep up with software updates.:thumbsdow

Nick75
08-12-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by dell
aarrr man, not another version, man i'm feed up trying to keep up with software updates.:thumbsdow

YEAH me 2 it seems there releasing software updates faster then b4...it friggin ridiculous why dont they wait & fix all the bugs & tweak it out first b4 setting it out....instead of an update every year :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

red_oddity
08-12-2003, 02:53 PM
Yay...more tools to add to this bloated piece of junk...

I'm not pessimistic, why would you say that?

visualboo
08-12-2003, 03:11 PM
Anything that puts more power in my hands I egerly welcome.

Pull up your skirts. :beer:

og_reborn
08-12-2003, 04:33 PM
why dont they wait & fix all the bugs & tweak it out first b4 setting it out

well I agree that it seems too fast.

But honestly, I think photoshop and Illustrator are some of the LEAST buggy programs I use. No complaints there.

:D

aurora
08-12-2003, 04:46 PM
Damn I just finally updated to PS7 a month ago. I swear if I saved all the money we spend in updates on a yearly basis I could buy another house or maybe even two.

richcz3
08-12-2003, 05:08 PM
Adobe is moving away from serial #'s and going with a new Product Activation ala Windows Xp. Expect the new Adobe Suite that includes Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, Audition, and the rest to include the same method.

http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030808.gtadobe0808/BNStory/Technology/

Most definately, it seems a bit early for a whole rev update, and I wouldn't even contemplate upgrading it unless it was a real earth shaker. But I feel this Rev, may be more an attempt to shore up the revenues on the bottom line than anything else.

richcz3

TheWraith
08-12-2003, 05:12 PM
i hope they add more animation capabilities and give it better morphing also. if only you could do in photoshop what you could with elastic reality

friendlymike
08-12-2003, 08:50 PM
arghh.. working on PS 5.5 at school, 6.0 @ work and 7.0 @ home - please no....

a23
08-12-2003, 10:44 PM
I'm sorry guys, but why are some of you getting so upset with an update from adobe.
They usually have a release cycle of 18-24 months.

Illustrator 10 was released in september 2001, two (2) years ago.
http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200109/20010924illustrator10.html

Photoshop 7 was released in february 2002, 18 months ago.
http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200202/200202photoshop7newsrelease.html

So i don't know what's wrong with that time frame. Want to wait longer? don't update.

And these two products usually run more stable than the operating systems they run on ;-)

AndY

ambient-whisper
08-13-2003, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by a23
And these two products usually run more stable than the operating systems they run on ;-)AndY

yup. your right. osx is a crash course.

3danim8d
08-13-2003, 05:46 AM
I hate the idea of everyone moving to product activation. Most of my workstations are isolated so they aren't on an outside network. All updates have to be downloaded on the one machine hooked to the Net and then burned to CDs and moved to the isolated workstations.

Product Activation means I have to sit on the phone on hold to install my software instead of being able to install it out of the box and run and start working, no matter what time of day or night or day of the week.

I hope their Product Activation fails and they go back to just using seriel numbers.

richcz3
08-13-2003, 06:27 AM
Oh just wait till the trusted computing initiative takes place en masse (2005-2007. Hardware, Software, Government concerns working much closer together.

https://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/home

Part of an early intiative that was flamed and disolved (at least for now) was the making of PC's by tech enthusiasts. Essentialy written to make ones own PC illegal. Or more clearly, the only people making their PC's from scratch, would be suspect to circumvent the Trusted Computing Platform.

So Hardware and Software makers are getting in the sack together to nip these types of systems eventualy. Oh yeah and various governemnt types as well. All in the name of security.
If you build your own PC's, you may find that the components will not be "chipped" to run certain software correctly or at all. Only companies with the Trusted Computing logo will assure of 100% software/hardware compatability. :surprised

I can see it now, getting my PC rigs impounded for running illicit/unregistered hardware. :thumbsdow

Keep your eyes and ears open on this Trusted Computing. Interesting stuff.

richcz3

Franky
08-13-2003, 07:43 PM
More power is all that matters to this guy.:drool: :cool:

Virum
08-13-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by 3danim8d
I hate the idea of everyone moving to product activation. Most of my workstations are isolated so they aren't on an outside network. All updates have to be downloaded on the one machine hooked to the Net and then burned to CDs and moved to the isolated workstations.

Product Activation means I have to sit on the phone on hold to install my software instead of being able to install it out of the box and run and start working, no matter what time of day or night or day of the week.

I hope their Product Activation fails and they go back to just using seriel numbers.

edit: quoted the wrong post. I don't like this either, but I was mainly upset abhout it being illegal to build custom PCs.

Is there a place where we can petition against that?

Goon
08-13-2003, 08:39 PM
Mind backing up your statement? I was sorta familiar with the paladium effort but dont really feel like wading through the hogwash on the TCG site.

blackSTATIK
08-14-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by ambient-whisper
yup. your right. osx is a crash course.

what version of OSx are you using? I have never crashed once using any Adobe products on OS X...cant say the same for my PC

richcz3
08-14-2003, 05:36 PM
Virum

Well unfortunately the issues with security, copyright infringement, and a slew of other concerns are the reasons why hardware and software companies are looking at working closer together in the future. Throw into that the governments backing for security and it all starts to stink real fast.

Think of computers as being like one big Dongle. Licensed and registered like a car or motorcycle. All your hardware will be chipped and your Software, Music and Movies will register with the hardware then function as it should. If it aint yours, it won't function.

When you look at the RIAA and their actions and the billions of $"s lost in revenue by software and entertainment companies, they are lobbying hard with senators and other lawmakers to support programs that will curb their rampant losses.

Yes, Palladium is just one avenue and Trusted Computing is another. STANDARDS for computing and it looks like that is the wave for the future. All the big players are moving toward support for these initiatives. Software activation is the logical 1st step.

I wish I had the articles on the the terms used for people building unauthorized custom PC's. It was a jaw dropper. Terms like Rogue computer users and the lot. Made it seem like terrorist organization. That's the part that upsets me the most. They are trying to take the PC Building Hobbiest and nix them.
:shame: :thumbsdow

richcz3

ambient-whisper
08-14-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by blackSTATIK
what version of OSx are you using? I have never crashed once using any Adobe products on OS X...cant say the same for my PC

it was a little sting toward the poster that said what i quoted ( notice he didnt mention the os... but im 99% sure he meant windows..;)

btw. a well built machine + one of the windowsNT/XP versions ( meaning not a freakin cheapo e machine you picked up at walmart ) will work photoshop just fine. no crashes... ever..
which is why i said that, because the user obviousely doesnt know what hes talking about if hes saying windows is unstable.
anyway, you should have been able to see what i meant.

richcz3
08-14-2003, 09:22 PM
You know what ambient-whisper. I was able to say that about XP Pro for a whole year after release. Now, i am a little less sure. I build my own PC's and get the best components. No OC'ing or anything just very well optimized systems.

I guess stability is in relation to the amount of time an OS is on the market. 1-1.5 years after realease...rock solid stable. After 2-3 years stuff hits the fan. I believe it has allot more to do with OS Updates and installed apps leaching more system resources as time wears on. I fully expect XP Pro to get crushed by resource and hardware heavy apps by next year.

richcz3

dmaas
08-15-2003, 09:49 AM
Don't worry about product (de)activation, I'm sure it will be cracked well in advance of the actual release of Photoshop 8...

I'm actually still using Photoshop 5 here. It ain't broke so I don't fix it...

polygun
08-15-2003, 05:10 PM
Im sure it'll be cracked too, and I will NOT buy photoshop 8 until it is cracked.

When I find out its cracked, i'll buy it and crack it. I am extremely against product activiation, its a huge hassle

aris_v
08-16-2003, 11:26 AM
A day will come when one will have to activate his own right to wake up in the morning.

Unauthorized breathing will be sending you in jail.

One will have to pay the companies holding genes' copyrights to have a child.

We will all be talking MSEnglish 20XX and those who fail to pay their subscription and activate their talking licence will not be heard.

It will be a brave new world...

richcz3
08-16-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by aris_v
A day will come when one will have to activate his own right to wake up in the morning.

Unauthorized breathing will be sending you in jail.

One will have to pay the companies holding genes' copyrights to have a child.

We will all be talking MSEnglish 20XX and those who fail to pay their subscription and activate their talking licence will not be heard.

It will be a brave new world...

Of Course aris_v

Haven't you read your EULA (end user license agreement) sewn onto your soul.

You have free will but you are only allowed to use your soul, you do NOT own it. It clearly stipulates that you have to turn it in to one of two parties when you are done using it here on earth. You can not transfer the license of its use to a neutral third party. Only good or evil.

Individuals cracking, altering agreement by nerfarious means (lawyers), will be sent to the high court in Purgatory where their sentence will be dealt.

richcz3

Peter Reynolds
08-16-2003, 08:23 PM
Bring out the GIMP

erikals
08-18-2003, 10:56 AM
I've always been a PhotoShop fan, but have lately relized how little it has improved since version 5. Sure, there have been some cool new features that have been added. But when are we going to see something revolutionary like a program that has it all. How hard would it be to make the vector features better? They've basically been the same since verion 5. When are we going to see 3D text in PhotoShop?

The answer is simple, no other programs can compare with PhotoShop's fast workflow. It doesn't have any compatition. So as long as PS is "King of the Hill" they can keep making small incignificant uprades for a high price. :annoyed:

halo
08-18-2003, 12:07 PM
erikals- i totally agree, and in fact id' say the UI has gone down hill as well with all the bits bolted on

i suggest you go over to the adobe forums and voice your opinion, because the more people that do it the better

anieves
08-18-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by dmaas
Don't worry about product (de)activation, I'm sure it will be cracked well in advance of the actual release of Photoshop 8...

I'm actually still using Photoshop 5 here. It ain't broke so I don't fix it...

what?! the dynamic brushes are worth an update alone. Texturing and painting became a whole lot easier in 7.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.