PDA

View Full Version : Environment: Room Light Test

deivys20
08-11-2003, 10:08 PM
App: Maya, Photoshop for the textures

Hey guys, just did this render using Mental Ray... let me know what you think. C&Cs welcome :thumbsup:

http://www.cgandlive.com/home.jpg

Rchitekt
08-11-2003, 10:34 PM
I think the lighting is getting really good. It has a very cool feeling due to the subtle blues and greens in the light. I don't have any real comments about the lighting, except that you might want to turn up the sampling rate because it looks a bit splotchy, unless that's the look you were going for. Oh yeah, you might turn up the indirect light a bit, because the front of the bed is completely black.
I do have a small problem with the materials. First, I really don't like the floor tile pattern. I mean the pattern is OK, but the colors are off. You might want to try a combination of white and cool grey. Don't make them stand out too much, because you don't want it to attract your eye that much. Also, I'm a little confused about the box above the bed. I assume it's a picture frame, maybe, but there isn't a picture in it. A good classic painting up there would look nice, but keep it subtle and in the same color palattes.

BRUTICUS
08-11-2003, 10:35 PM
yep that could pass for a photo,...:thumbsup:
Personally id rather see a more simply colored tile on the floor.

deivys20
08-12-2003, 08:08 PM
Here's an update of the pic. Again, C&Cs are welcome!

http://www.cgandlive.com/home2.jpg

silv
08-13-2003, 03:02 PM
why does everybody put a real photo as a picture.. hmm maybe an abstract oil paiting could go there...picasso is digitaly for free u know.

+ the frame look really bad

i would have preffered a more woarm light but... it is your image not mine :p

Doubt
08-13-2003, 04:08 PM
The lighting on the bed looks pretty solid but I think the dresser looks a little flat, and that square highlight area seems a bit harsh.

--doubt

BRUTICUS
08-13-2003, 05:44 PM
yeah deivys whats with the real picture on the wall ;)

sketchyjay
08-13-2003, 06:23 PM
looks good there is a lack of beveling on the edges. it's most noticable on the dresser. might want to add a slight edge to your models.

That would really help

j

mora
08-13-2003, 06:33 PM
the lighting seems bad.not sure how some people think its photo looking.too much bleeding,smoky effect.but bed seems cozy

sketchyjay
08-13-2003, 06:49 PM
actually i think i see edges it's just that the image is so marbled that it is hard to see.

I'm guessing you used GI or radiocity. You might want to up the sampling.

Add some more to the dresser. maybe some perfume bottles and lipsticks (simple objects) to just make it look a little more lived in. The bed looks great.

the rest of the furniture all have the same texture on them and it is noticable. you might want to find a way to make them all slightly different.

the picture frame you should rotate that texture 90o. the wood looks like stripes which no frame would ever have.

Floor has kitchen looking tiles. Change the colors or replace them with a wood texture. Bedrooms normally don't have that kind of floor so it sticks out as odd.

Hope this helps,

Keep going it is like 99% there.

J

Tuqui-tuqui
08-13-2003, 07:08 PM
Who's Deivys? :cool: Never mind :rolleyes:

Originally posted by mora
the lighting seems bad.not sure how some people think its photo looking.too much bleeding,smoky effect.but bed seems cozy

I dont think he was going for exact photorealism... but it looks nice to me. Yes, the dresser seems kind of empty, and the handles are lacking their respective shadows. Good luck! :thumbsup:

mora
08-13-2003, 10:52 PM
I think the reason why the detail is lacking is because the image was so darn compressed to 37kb:hmm:

deivys20
08-14-2003, 02:56 AM
hey silv the picture in the frame is actually cg but I dont want to show it yet. yeah I totally agree with the frame. right now I am working on another design for it. I also agree with sketchyjay
about adding some more stuff on the dresser. Also the noise that you see on the wall is do to the texture not to the sampling of the image. I am thinking of changin it. About the tiles on the floor, I asked many of my friends and they didn't mind it at all, so I will leave like that. I know that's imposible to create an image that will please everyone. Right now I am tweaking the image and hopefully you guys will get an update tomorrow

anakinskywalker
08-14-2003, 07:27 AM
this more like a small detail...

but normally the wood grain of the frames of a picture will run along the length.

deivys20
08-14-2003, 08:00 PM
here's an update let me know what you guys think.

http://www.cgandlive.com/Room3.jpg

Lukashi
08-15-2003, 03:03 AM
To me the bed is too green, it looks radioactive, otherwize looks pretty good

Tuqui-tuqui
08-15-2003, 03:15 AM
Radioactive, how funny! :D

Anyhoo, my comments are the following:

1) Begin working on the items on the dresser. They look good (I love that reflectivity that furniture usually gives off), but they look like they are floating right now, so perhaps a bit of shadow. Which bring me to another point...

2) Shadows within shadows. Try putting shadows in the picture frame and in the dresser handles.

3) I just noticed this. Try to make your furniture pieces consistent. All four items are diferent shades of wood, they should be matching pieces.

Besides that, I love the calm feeling it "radiates" HAHAHAHA (man, do I kill myself) hehe hee...

igami
08-15-2003, 04:55 AM
hey deivys
I just saw ur little room. its looking promising.
a little bit greenish, maybe its a room in the matrix?
hahaha, anyways, good job! u can add some crease
on the bed to increase realism. :thumbsup:
try that. peacez

Ivyn
08-16-2003, 11:00 PM
I am commenting on the most recent picture...

1. The rest of the furniture should match with the bed or vice versa. Keep consistency and it will look better, the same as in real life.

2. The dressers are lacking in realism. I'm not sure, maybe play around with textures and lighting.

It looks pretty decent overall. The lighting the bed is very good, looks real.

mefestofel
08-17-2003, 10:57 PM
you seem to have made the wood darked on the piece on the right, it doesn't look like furniture anymoer. The grain is a bit much and that color just doesn't look right for bedroom furniture. It needs to look a bit richer and less like wood you would see on a door on an old cabin in the middle of the woods

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.