PDA

View Full Version : Feathers Plugin? Script? Tutorial?

Sonnya
10-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Need to create a good feather system for a bird I modeled. Sofar I cant locate mzfeather plugin or any other tutorials or tools.

Can someone Help me out and explain how to or where to find a resource for creating the feather system?

Thank you for your time

-Sonny

stooch
10-02-2009, 01:04 AM
I suggest you look into paint effects.

another approach is to use a script to instance feathers on surface using the follicle node.

duncan has some tutorials about using the follicle node to connect things to polygons.

i also envision a solution using strips of polygons or instances and applying ncloth dynamics upon them.

I also can see another solution which would use constraints and spring solvers on individual instances.

SebKaine
10-02-2009, 09:34 AM
maybe this could be interesting

http://s204357084.onlinehome.us/project/pFur/pFur.htm

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/dynamics/c/ho-particlefur-mel

cheers

sk

noizFACTORY
10-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Hi Sonny,

If you have access to Shave and A Haircut and a renderman renderer, then you could first create a fur system for your character. The fur can be edited to look like like ribbon strips, basically same base width and tip width.

Then you could use a shader (as simple as a lambert, depending on how complex a look you are going for) that can assign per strand feather texture map to your fur and you'll have feather at render time. This keeps your scenes light and more flexible for iterations.

If you don't have S&H, something like this can still be done using Maya Hair. You'll have to use 3Delight to export the hair curves as renderman curves which can use shaders and react to lights.

-Sachin

stooch
10-06-2009, 05:33 PM
you can do all that with paint effects too.

Hi Sonny,

If you have access to Shave and A Haircut and a renderman renderer, then you could first create a fur system for your character. The fur can be edited to look like like ribbon strips, basically same base width and tip width.

noizFACTORY
10-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Paint Effects would be good but it could become very heavy to use very quickly.

I have tried this idea before on a character but we didn't go ahead with it in production as we would eventually have to bake them out into polys to be able to use them in any other renderer besides Maya Software.

But if you are not looking at very dense fur counts then it can work nice.

stooch
10-07-2009, 04:39 PM
how about using paint effects to setup your feathers, bake em to geometry and then convert them to ncloth.

Remi
10-07-2009, 05:26 PM
maybe this could be interesting

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/dynamics/c/ho-particlefur-mel

QFA, i'd give that a go and see what it does for you, might actually work well.

Sonnya
05-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Whos duncan?

=]

im still trying to figure this out... thanks to "SebKaine" for getting that script online.. but... it doesnt work i cant get it ro run or do anything

Any help?

I suggest you look into paint effects.

another approach is to use a script to instance feathers on surface using the follicle node.

duncan has some tutorials about using the follicle node to connect things to polygons.

i also envision a solution using strips of polygons or instances and applying ncloth dynamics upon them.

I also can see another solution which would use constraints and spring solvers on individual instances.

CGTalk Moderation
05-11-2010, 05:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.