PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Prototyping Maya

minhyhuynh
10-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Hey guys,

I just have a quick question regarding Maya files to be rapid prototyped.

I have been Boolean Unioning my parts however, it is causing me some trouble (Boolean is eviilll)

So I was just wondering if instead of booleaning, could i just combine the parts? Would the machine still be able to print it?

Thanks in advance!

phix314
10-01-2009, 07:59 PM
The little I know about printing models, is they have to be very clean meshes. No booleans, no gaps.

wwswimming
10-03-2009, 01:51 PM
a NURBS object created with Booleans using Maya is not the same as a NURBS object created using a solid modeller, where you can do Booleans all day long without a hiccup.

i have used One Space Designer (since bought by PTC, the people who make Pro-E) and it helped me crank out some *.stl files for a rapid prototyping process that used a ceramic slurry. zero glitches. one constraint - the object from which the *.stl file was created had to be in "positive space" - that octant of 3D space where X>0, Y>0, and Z>0.

CGTalk Moderation
10-03-2009, 01:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.