PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow - character - tobe90

tobe90
08-11-2003, 08:49 PM
this one is great, I really like the theme, and the fact that it's quite a narrow theme, although you can paint with lots of colours inside the frame, IYKWIM.

got several ideas, but the one that I like best right know is this:

August, l'homme au trois tétines (I think it's the translation of "the man with the third nipple", but any frenchspeaking member of the community, feel free to correct my bad language. that goes for my english, as well, BTW:p)

http://w1.837.telia.com/~u83702220/wips/nippleman01.jpg

As you can see from the doodle I made on the subway, on my way home from work, I am not entering the 2d contest. "Anatomical correct" is something I will prove in the 3d model. He is supposed to be of average length, or perhaps a little shorter. I originally was going to make him short, but I'm going back and forth on that one. His cape will be waist long, and his nipples (all three) will be shown in his magnificent red and white striped costume (not final on dress design). He will wear some magnificent boots, as well as a head piece, on which I haven't decided yet.
Alot of work on the costume, with seams and an opening where his back changes name, you know like cownoys had, with two buttons.

what do you think?
should I go for the superstrong Adolf with the worlds longest mustaches instead ;) ?

Littleberu
08-15-2003, 06:05 AM
l'homme au trois tétines/mamelons/seins

tobe90
08-15-2003, 06:41 AM
thx alot, Littleberu. I'll take your word for it.;)

funny that there are three words for nipples in the french language, and only one in Swedish. I can't even think of a nick name for them.

cheers.

melmann
08-15-2003, 06:11 PM
great stuff heheh will make a great model!

wartorn
08-16-2003, 01:03 AM
Just want to point out that the character is way too funny looking. I think what "sells" for this theme is whether you can get the viewers to feel something inside their guts when viewing your characters. Sympathy, disgust, awe, that kind of thing. Just my opinion though. The sicker and more realistic, the bigger a hit it will be. Also, u might want to do something concerning the first rule for this theme (not sure if its the 1st rule or not) which is about the attire. The guy obvioulsy isnt dressed correctly based on the time period. Modelling a character with 3 nipples instead of 2 ISNT really a big deal when it comes to abnormalities, and when it comes to making asymmetrical characters. Its just one extra nipple. U might want to add more stuff... how about female breasts for example? that could be a good start.... and dont make him so confident of himself... make him ashamed, holding his breasts with his hands, and the third one with his foot, hehehe. no just kidding. theres still time to make changes, and improvements. Nice drawing nonetheless, keep it up.

tobe90
08-16-2003, 09:42 AM
wartorn: thx for the comments, I appreciate your concerns, and I will try to pin down what I've thought about the character, because I can see that my original idea doesn't really bang the biggest drums in terms of abnormalities.

It's just thats thats the thing. The man with the third nipple is just a ridicolous act. But to me, the sideshow or freakshow is to take the small abnormalities and put them into a context of varieté or circus. The idea is minimalistic in it's approach. In the beginning I went with the idea of making Carl-Friedrich, the human toolshed, with holes and fittings in his body where his dad used to keep his hammers, saws and what have you. Or as mentioned, Adolf with the longest mustaches, that had a life of there own, and tried to strangle him, so that everyday was a fierce battle.

The third nipple man is supposed to be the proudest man on earth, lika a matador or the Human Cannonball, his confidence resides in his third nipple, no one can do this better than him.

His outfit will feature clothes from the correct time period, saying he will have once glorious "costume" with red and white stripes, perhaps I will add amilitary touch to the uniform, but nevertheless it will reflerct the mid 1800's, I assure you.

Hope this cleared things up.

melmann: thx

Optigon-cg
08-16-2003, 10:47 AM
I like the sketch. As I myself have been thinking about this project, I've come to the conclusion that it isn't so much the abnormality you choose but how you present it. Meaning, if the man has three nipples then make him REALLY have three nipples.
Make it an obvious trait. Don't make the viewer search for even one second for what the abnormality might be. Pehaps you can make them even bigger or have them protrude. Or have them ornately pierced to display his pride. Also when texturing the model, use good contrast in that area to attract the eye.

Well those are my thoughts. I wish you luck. From the looks of your quick sketch the character should translate into a model quite well.:thumbsup:

wartorn
08-16-2003, 11:22 AM
ok then tobe, if that is how you mean to go about it, then go for it. I might have forgotten to say that it was a pretty unique character nonetheless, and if you correctly translate this into 3d, its going to look great. :cool:

tobe90
08-16-2003, 12:40 PM
thanks for crits and comments so far.

heres the first wip. ironically, I've some trouble, getting the nipples smooth. ;)

as Optigon-cg commented, lot of the nipple-displaying will lie in the texturing. so the model isn't even abnormal yet. in fact, I haven't really decided where to put the nipple.

here it goes.

http://w1.837.telia.com/~u83702220/nipple_wipsRenders/wip01.jpg

tobe90
08-16-2003, 11:30 PM
i guess no body saw the last image, since that stinking prohosting service I use doesn't work. never mind heres a new one.

2309 tris. it might be a close shave.

http://w1.837.telia.com/~u83702220/nipple_wipsRenders/wip02.jpg

ElysiumGX
08-17-2003, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by tobe90
2309 tris. it might be a close shave.

Consider how many tris you can save by relying on the texture. For example, there are several tris you can take away from the lower neck area and add to the torso. The details between the chest and neck can later be textured on.

The nipples can also be textured completely as well, but that's up to you. Using geometry to help them stand out more would help the freakiness.

tobe90
08-17-2003, 08:39 AM
ElysiumGX: youre so right. I know where to start when I have to optimize. I just like to model the details, for the shear fun of it.

well I'm of to vacation for a week. no internet access, meaning no wips. but I'll bring my new Dell laptop, so there might be some modelling done, late nights in the Swedish archipelago.

see you all in a week.

/ Tobbe

Karlstok
08-17-2003, 11:53 PM
Nice concept/idea.Look forward to more.Love the moustache.:beer:

rAndall
08-18-2003, 03:29 AM
He certainly seems to be coming along, tobe. I'm not sure how far into the shaping you are at this point, but he seems to be in his concept somewhat a little overweight. I think that he would be more appealing if he was in the finished model. I'm curious to see.

ionanism
08-20-2003, 09:18 AM
Your work is looking really good so far, you got some nice detail there.
I have to agree with rAndall, the model seems to loose some of the nice character of the drawing with the cartoon like pare shaped body. If you fattened up the bottom more it would look great.
And then just a though on the texturing, it would be cool if you made the textures highly stylized and cartoony, like maybe a twisted Warner Brothers cartoon character.
Just a thought.

tobe90
08-24-2003, 10:03 PM
ok. back from vaccation.

too bad, I couldn't read your comments while I was gone, so I just kept modeling. so in this version of the guy, he is not overweight.
but I came quite far, and so I have lots of time to try changing the concept. this is what I got so far.

http://w1.837.telia.com/~u83702220/nipple_wipsRenders/wip03_face.jpg

http://w1.837.telia.com/~u83702220/nipple_wipsRenders/wip04_back.jpg

tobe90
08-24-2003, 10:12 PM
more images. if the're to big I can shrink them.

http://w1.837.telia.com/~u83702220/nipple_wipsRenders/wip05_uvw.jpg

http://w1.837.telia.com/~u83702220/nipple_wipsRenders/wip06_model.jpg

its round 3800 polys, so 200 for a prop. any ideas?
I will start texturing this week, this is not yet textured, its just sketch.

wartorn
08-24-2003, 11:41 PM
nice work, he really looks like hes from the early 1900's.... but like ive told you earlier, you really need to focus on the deformation... The nipple is almost unnoticable geometry wise.... If you gave it the same texture as the clothes, it wouldnt show.... Its really small, and i dont think its that freaky... But if you made the guy fat, then this nipple could be placed on a fat breast... Making it stick out more.... Theres not much you can do with a breast, unless you make it another species nipple, like a cows nipple, or something..... But like i said, the model is very clean, and very 1900 esque.... Good job..

tobe90
09-01-2003, 07:46 AM
wartorn: thx for your comments. I will consider them, maybe I'll make a freak of my freak. ;)

due to lack of inspiration, I haven't posted much. just started with textures.

http://w1.837.telia.com/~u83702220/nipple_wipsRenders/wip07_texture.jpg

and for fun I animated a little last weekend.

sungreating anim (http://w1.837.telia.com/~u83702220/nipple_wipsRenders/greating.avi)

bye for now.

rAndall
09-02-2003, 10:26 PM
Hehe this character is pretty cool. The mustache and classic haircut alone just make me laugh. :D The model captures the concept very well. I love the shoes!

I checked out the greeting animation. Nice. Its cool to see this guy moving around. Good Job.

tobe90
09-07-2003, 01:28 PM
Sad to say it, but I'm pulling out of the contest. To much work this month, and not enough time and energy to do the thing right. I will be in the next one, though. Thats a promise.

Thanks to everyone who contributed with crits and comments, and good luck to the competitors.

see you next time.

/ tobbe

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.