PDA

View Full Version : Ambient Occlusion map reapplication question

MSobyak
10-01-2009, 05:49 AM
Hey all,

I just resently was introduced to all the different types of mapping used in game texturing and such... anyways I will try to keep this as short as possible and get to it:

Lets say I have a model... unwraped, and textured in mudbox (or zbrush) and I have generated maps for photoshop as fallows: Ambient Occlusion, specular, diffuse, normal, Displacement.

Now lets say I cleaned them up in photoshop and adjusted thier levels etc. And I put it all back in mudbox and it looks great. So now I want to take those maps and apply them to my low poly model in Maya 2009. How do I set up the texture to apply all these maps? I know normal maps go in bump area, dissplacement map is a specific shader, specular goes in the rolloff attribute, diffuse would be in color, but where would the ambient occlusion map go? Also since the displacement map is a sepperate shader, and "if" the ambient occ. map has to be in a sepperate shader, then the spec, normal, and diffuse are all in 1 shader would I have to use all those shaders on the same model? Do I use the multi-layered shader? If so, how do I set that up with the 3 shaders?

Just as a side note, I dont want the lighitng ambient occ. say I have a caracter and I want baked in Amb. Occ. to make specific areas darker on the character... and it is an actual map... how do I set that up in maya? (Basically the same question as the one above, maybe more clairfied some, only need it answered 1 time)

Thanks!

InfernalDarkness
10-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Since you're using Maya, and for the sake of accuracy and speed, you should be using the mia_material_x, not Maya's basic shaders.

So make your Blinn or Phong, and attach the appropriate files so that it'll look okay in the viewport, then go into that material's Shading Group and under the mental ray section, add ONE mia_material_x to Material and Shadow. That is, add it to Material first, then copy/paste the name of the mia_material_x into the Shadow slot after.

Now using the mia_x, you'll have every slot you need. And then some.

phix314
10-06-2009, 10:13 PM
So make your Blinn or Phong, and attach the appropriate files so that it'll look okay in the viewport, then go into that material's Shading Group and under the mental ray section, add ONE mia_material_x to Material and Shadow. That is, add it to Material first, then copy/paste the name of the mia_material_x into the Shadow slot after.

Now using the mia_x, you'll have every slot you need. And then some.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this workflow doesn't work exactly like that. If you plug everything into the maya standard shader (color, etc), and plug a mental ray material into the shading groups material slot and render with mr, you'll get just that shader. You'd still need to correctly apply the files to each shader you'll be using in the shading group.

Since you're using Maya, and for the sake of accuracy and speed, you should be using the mia_material_x, not Maya's basic shaders.

That's all up to the situation, really. It's not like one should NEVER use the Maya shaders over the mental rays. Not a one size fits all.

Assuming you know how to get the ambient occlusion baked out, you can apply it to the color gain slot of the color file.

InfernalDarkness
10-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this workflow doesn't work exactly like that.

You are correct. I'd assumed that this person would know to connect the file-nodes to the mia_material as well...

But I generally "make up" the Maya material properly first, or at least the diffuse channel so I can see any errors in the viewport, and then pipe it all into the mia_material_x slots too. I should have been clearer so as to avoid confusion.

That's all up to the situation, really. It's not like one should NEVER use the Maya shaders over the mental rays. Not a one size fits all.

Too true. I tend to stick to mia_materials, since I render in MR almost exclusively, but many people probably prefer Maya materials even in MR. I misread the initial post and apologize...

Using the mia_material_x, your Ambient Occlusion map should go into the "Additional Color" slot, not the AO slots. Those AO slots are for generating AO, not utilizing a previously generated AO map.

MSobyak
10-07-2009, 12:00 AM
ok I think I understand some of this. Since I actually have not dabbled in textures much at all, this is all theoretical for me still. I honestly only know pretty basic actions with these shaders right now. I am just trying to get ahead of the game in my classes mainly, and trying to learn some things before I get there so I can start using those things now.

Lets put up 2 theoretical situations and see if this can help clarify things for me:

The basics: I have a character which is low poly in Maya 2009 and I have exported it out to Mudbox then added a ton of detail and I textured it, sepperated all the textures into maps which allow me to put this all back on the lower poly model and still make it look like the high poly, textured model. If I have the fallowing maps that I want to use to build a texture in Maya for the low poly model what do I do in:

Situation 1. This model(character) is going to be used in a video game, live action etc. would I use a mental ray material for this still? Or a regular shader? And which map goes in which spot inside each shader?

Situation 2. This model(character) is only for showcasing but will still need to be rigged for posing. (same questions as situation 1 but for this set up)

Now generally speaking I know diffuse map goes into color, specular would go in rolloff, normal would go in bump, and so... ambient occlussion would go in Additional Color? (is that located under diffuse section?)

And what if I want to use a displacement map instead of a normal map? I would have to use a MR shader for this I know, just not sure how to set that up with the 2 situations mentioned above.

I hope this helps clarify about how much I know vs what I need to know/asking.

Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
10-07-2009, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.