PDA

View Full Version : Illustration - Sheridan, Ringling, Academy of Art?

carolinasalino
09-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Hi everybody!

Iīm willing to apply for an illustration program. I was looking throughout websites and forums but Iīm still realy confused.

Iīve found three good north america-based schools: Sheridan Institute - Canada; Ringling College - Florida, US; Academy of Art University - San Francisco, US. All of them seem to have achieved a great standard and to have very good instructors.

Does anyone have had some experience regarding the illustration program of these institutions?

Thanks a lot!

marcel84
09-30-2009, 07:18 PM
Hello Carol...

I prefer Sheridan =)

pixarfangirl
10-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Several of my friends went to Ringling for Illustration. It is one of the best in the world, and if you can afford it, you will NOT regret it!

Two of my Illustration friends' portfolios:
http://katewhitmoreart.com/ <-She does a lot of freelance kids' stuff and a lot of theme park stuff for NBC Universal
http://whitmorian.com/ <-He worked as a concept artist for Atomic Games

Another friend went to Ringling for Computer Animation, and now works as a technical artist at Bioware, but he is a bum and doesn't have a website :)

Anyway, long story short, Ringling is awesome!

carolinasalino
10-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Thank you for the reply! Ringling College have realy impressed me. Itīs studentsīgallery is amazing. I was told that Sheridan also have formed great students, but there is no artwork on the website. The same for Academy of Art... =(

Kasasagi
10-03-2009, 06:09 AM
Hi! I just lurk here, but you mentioned that Sheridan doesn't have student artwork. I think you can find some here: (http, of course!) illustrate.sheridanc.on.ca/index_flash.php (http://illustrate.sheridanc.on.ca/index_flash.php) If you click on each of the little icons there, it will show the work of an individual graduate student. I found the link in a blog, I guess sheridan had a 2009 graduates' work show. Hope it's useful!

carolinasalino
10-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Very usefull Kasasagi! Thanks for your help! I couldnīt find it anywhere!

gawl126
10-12-2009, 11:23 PM
I would recommend SJSU's Illustration program. It's a highly recognized program and a pretty affordable school to attend.

http://www.societyillustrators.org/honors/zankel_2009.cms

TyDeL
10-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Here is the student art work for Academy of Art: http://media.academyart.edu/springshow2009/ill.html

I attend the Academy right now, though I'm not pursuing Illustration, I have taken some courses there. I can say that there is a pretty strong foundations course with some amazing Figure Drawing teachers. I took a perspective class with a Concept Artist who really pushed students, and was also a talented artist. The nice thing about the Academy is that most of your teachers are working, Industry professionals, though this also means the faculty is constantly changing. I'm not sure if she is still here, but one of the lead creature artists for the Star Wars prequels was teaching here, which is pretty impressive since she's considered one of the most talented in the world. But again, the faculty is constantly changing.

That said, from what I've heard, Ringling is simply amazing, if you can get in, have the complete undying passion for art, and can afford it, I think that should be your highest goal.

Sure you couldn't go wrong with the other schools either, really it's mostly what you make of it, if you have the passion, and really live to draw, and put in the countless hours, you can be successful no matter what school you go to, I can legitimately say that AAU at least has the resources available.

MichaelJanzen
10-26-2009, 01:29 PM
I would say it depends on what you want to be doing specifically with Illustration. All three of the schools are great! I go to Sheridan College, and there we have two streams of Illustration. In your first year, you do general Illustration stuff life drawing, painting, object drawing (perspective), conceptual process, etc. Then in your second year you decide what stream you want to be in for the next three years, and the choices are Technical/Scientific or Interpretive.

Tech/Sci stream focuses on product design, 3D modelling, human and animal anatomy, architectural drawings, digital art, and classic tech illustrations like ghost views and exploded views of objects. (I'm in this one)

Interpretive stream focuses on more life drawing, painting, editorial illustration, conceptual process, storytelling, etc. (I dont know much about this one :P)

For each year, there is one class of 20-25 students in Tech/Sci and three classes of Interpretive. So the majority goes Interpretive, and we also have only so many profs to teach the Tech/Sci students.

Annnyways, that is a quick breakdown of Sheridan Illustration. Again, all three schools are awesome - it just depends on what you want to focus on.

carolinasalino
11-06-2009, 12:26 AM
Hi! Thanks a lot for the tips, MichaelJanzen and TyDel.

Iīm so excited about attending another university (Iīve already had undergraduated in other field, advertising).

Iīm still in a little doubt, but Iīm almost sure Iīm gonna apply for Sheridan since Iīve always had contact with this college through canadian fairs here in Brazil. Also, I do have a lot of friends living in Canada, who might give me some support.

If I have some more info, Iīll post it in this thread.

WLX
11-07-2009, 07:17 AM
I am confused too and looking for a good school to study at. Mainly I'm looking at Sheridan coz it seems to be a cool school. Well, they consider them selves as the best in the field of animation and very strong with their Illustration. But my passion is matte painting and environment design in general...)))honestly i'd like to learn how to establish shots, find out more about camera mapping, perspective and that kind of stuff only -every thing that every matte painter needs basically. But i guess there is no such school in the world...(( well may be Gnomon is but the price for the course isn't attracting me... you know what i mean???... that is hell of a lot money you need to study there... So, Is Sheridan (animation 4 year program) right school for me according to my interests or Illustration (4 year program) would be better???However I've seen Illustration grad's work and honestly it didn't inspire me at all...i think their work kinda sucks and week and not very convincing... yeah... at least 2009 graduation show. So far animation attracts me more and gives me that opportunity to draw lots of layouts and backgrounds as far as i understood, am i right??? COZ I WANNA BE A MATTE PAINTER!!!)) and conceptualize stuff- locations mainly, characters, items... where should I study???
HELP ME PEOPLE!!!)))

WLX
11-07-2009, 07:26 AM
I am confused too and looking for a good school to study at. Mainly I'm looking at Sheridan coz it seems to be a cool school. Well, they consider them selves as the best in the field of animation and very strong with their Illustration. But my passion is matte painting and environment design in general...)))honestly i'd like to learn how to establish shots, find out more about camera mapping, perspective and that kind of stuff only -every thing that every matte painter needs basically. But i guess there is no such school in the world...(( well may be Gnomon is but the price for the course isn't attracting me... you know what i mean???... that is hell of a lot money you need to study there... So, Is Sheridan (animation 4 year program) right school for me according to my interests or Illustration (4 year program) would be better???However I've seen Illustration grad's work and honestly it didn't inspire me at all...i think their work kinda sucks and week and not very convincing... yeah... at least 2009 graduation show. So far animation attracts me more and gives me that opportunity to draw lots of layouts and backgrounds as far as i understood, am i right??? COZ I WANNA BE A MATTE PAINTER!!!)) and conceptualize stuff- locations mainly, characters, items... where should I study???
HELP ME PEOPLE!!!)))

WLX
11-07-2009, 09:31 AM
HELP ME PEOPLE!!!)))

carolinasalino
11-07-2009, 11:33 AM
WLX, I think that maybe you should check up Ringling college. The studentīs portfolio is realy great and more conceptual. It is also more expensive than Academy of Art and Sheridan.

In my opinion, Sheridanīs student artwork of 2009 is not weak but extense. I mean, if you consider Ringlingīs college student portfolio in the website it is clear for me that there are fewer works displayed. Thatīs because they have selected only the very best of them. Sheridan instead have put on this website every studentsī artwork. So, nevermind if you find something not as spetacular. However, trust me I have looked at each one of them carefully to say the this college is not weak.

If you are planning for something more conceptual, so am I! (for instance, I enjoy creating scenaries, characters, digital painting, 3d). Itīs been very hard for me to find out what better course to apply for. Anyway, it came to me that what matters realy is that inside the college you choose you could be able to find good teachers and infraestructure to support you. The program curriculum is also important, of course. And, finally, we must be certain that we are gonna expend 4 years of our lives studing and realy having time to making the best we can.

So, I went for finding a college that also have achieved some fine standard and international reputation. Usually that can tell you can trust this institution. Also, I was very influenced by a friend that lives in Canada and had the chance to actually know the college, thatīs always good. If you have some friend living close to the college you are willing to apply, ask him this favour.

Well, thatīs it. I hope I was able to help you.
Or maybe I got you a little more confused?

carolinasalino
11-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Gawl126, I was just checking your link to Society of illustrators. I couldnīt find much info on the website. Do you know whether it is a college or an art school?

Thanks for the tip!

gawl126
11-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Gawl126, I was just checking your link to Society of illustrators. I couldnīt find much info on the website. Do you know whether it is a college or an art school?

Thanks for the tip!

The Society of Illustrators is just an organization. In that link I was referring to a student from San Jose State University who won a $10,000 scholarship from SoI. I would look more into the program they have at SJSU.

Here's a direct link to the program: http://ad.sjsu.edu/programs/animationillust.html

Here is a club they have on campus which also has student work: http://www.shrunkenheadman.com/illustration/

WLX
11-08-2009, 04:39 AM
TO Carolina Salino, yeah you actually confused me a lot more)) you didn't answare my questions, just gave your overall opinion.

"However, trust me I have looked at each one of them carefully to say the this college is not weak" trust me i've looked at those pictures and thought that my nephew draws better without any training...))) Ofc it depends on what level you are at, i mean how good or bad you are...i am sure that people with that kind of portfolio will not work in a industry for a long time until they achieve some sort of pro-like (daarken, Glenn Rane for example) look in their work. Sheridan illu grads will not be working for Blizzard or EA games coz lvl of their art... you know what i mean? compare stuff of daarken with any picture of Sheridan grads and you will see what I mean. You don't wanna draw like this after 4 years of hard work and training...

I personally expect very high, like James Paick's level of portfolio in the end of education.

To gawl126
Seems like they are just making money...coz HEY! ANIMATION\Illustration program???...loks a bit weird to me...

gawl126
11-08-2009, 08:53 AM
TO Carolina Salino, yeah you actually confused me a lot more)) you didn't answare my questions, just gave your overall opinion.

"However, trust me I have looked at each one of them carefully to say the this college is not weak" trust me i've looked at those pictures and thought that my nephew draws better without any training...))) Ofc it depends on what level you are at, i mean how good or bad you are...i am sure that people with that kind of portfolio will not work in a industry for a long time until they achieve some sort of pro-like (daarken, Glenn Rane for example) look in their work. Sheridan illu grads will not be working for Blizzard or EA games coz lvl of their art... you know what i mean? compare stuff of daarken with any picture of Sheridan grads and you will see what I mean. You don't wanna draw like this after 4 years of hard work and training...

I personally expect very high, like James Paick's level of portfolio in the end of education.

To gawl126
Seems like they are just making money...coz HEY! ANIMATION\Illustration program???...loks a bit weird to me...

Actually, it's 2 different programs... There's an animation program AND there's an illustration program. Why don't you take a closer look at the program before you say anything else. You essentially take the same core art classes, but then you need to then apply for the program. They only admit 20 a semester for each program, it's pretty selective. They want their students to be of a certain caliber. If you don't pass selection, then you continue improving your portfolio until you do. It's better than going into a program, passing the classes and only producing mediocre work when you graduate.

Once you're officially in, then you focus on your concentration which is either illustration or animation. The program was also selected to be a part of the same DreamWorks sponsored program as Ringling. It's also a public state university which means cheap tuition (compared to the previously mentioned art schools).

From what I know from speaking with industry professionals, they only have good things to say about the program.

WLX
11-08-2009, 02:31 PM
To gawl126

Yeah mate...i gues it is a really cool school the students art work is really good in comparison to sheridan grads art which sucks as I said earlier...))) :buttrock:
I think I'll try to apply to SJSU. As far as I understood it is 5 years program and mainly focussed on animation coz both forms have lots of animation with slight difference in year 4 and 5, right?

gawl126
11-08-2009, 08:17 PM
To gawl126

Yeah mate...i gues it is a really cool school the students art work is really good in comparison to sheridan grads art which sucks as I said earlier...))) :buttrock:
I think I'll try to apply to SJSU. As far as I understood it is 5 years program and mainly focussed on animation coz both forms have lots of animation with slight difference in year 4 and 5, right?

For that information, you probably should contact the advisors of the program.

http://www.sjsuai.com/ai/Welcome.html

carolinasalino
03-29-2010, 03:27 AM
Just passing by to leave here my final decision: to apply for a MFA degree in Illustration at AAU. After a lot of time thinking I could finally find the course outlines and curriculum from the art schools and none of them have attracted me more. The classes are not so fixed, they depend on your goals. Also, since I already have a bachelor's degree, it wouldn't make any sense for me to apply for another one. Furthermore, the grads' portfolios are realy realy some - I loved it. Way much better than the Sheridan's in my opinion.

That's it. I am sorry WLX if I have confused you more. It's just that these kind of decisions are tough to do and it depends on so many things. Have you decided yet?

CGTalk Moderation
03-29-2010, 03:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.