PDA

View Full Version : lw8 screenshots

danne82
08-11-2003, 03:54 PM
8 lw8 images (http://www.eeye.us/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=9&t=831&st=0&#entry6764)

Here are 8 lw8 screenshots for all you lw users (not me)

Enjoy...:thumbsup:

Gentle Fury
08-11-2003, 04:17 PM
hmmmm, still looks like LW4.......funny

Tottebias
08-11-2003, 05:58 PM
That's not the final look of Lw 8

klingspor
08-11-2003, 07:31 PM
Frankly, the only thing holding me back from using Lightwave is the interface... too bad they've decided to stick with the old one :shrug:

richcz3
08-11-2003, 08:54 PM
Don't worry I woudln't hold your breath that those are final by any stretch of the imagnation. Those screens are only to showcase effects and features, not the interface design.

Do a search here on cgtalk. There were some UI mock ups posted a while ago.

richcz3

cornel H.
08-12-2003, 09:10 PM
this ugly retro-bevel interface is so distracting it's hard to look at the new features

jrsunshine
08-13-2003, 03:48 AM
cry babies.:D

coupon
08-13-2003, 05:46 AM
Beautiful

deepinspace
08-13-2003, 11:27 AM
I dont know about you guys, yeah, but personally I think it looks alright.

klingspor
08-13-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by deepinspace
I dont know about guys, yeah, but personally I think it looks alright.

Sure it looks alright, but I'd be much happier if it were a little more useable...

deepinspace
08-13-2003, 05:04 PM
I'm sure it is useable, just looks out-dated.

ambient-whisper
08-13-2003, 07:23 PM
might look dated, but to tell you the truth. i think the more modern interfaces waste way too much pixel space with the rounded shit. ( ie, xsi..), and will look a lot more dated as time goes by.
the lw8 interface seems ok for the most part. some parts could be cleaned up.( like the icons on the viewport.. yukk ) and maybe minimizing the bevel a little. but not completely get rid of it.

Ibanezhead
08-14-2003, 04:57 AM
Looks really bad, as is. But I'm sure, as others have said, that this is just temporary, until they can figure out what to do with it. I saw the earlier mock ups, and didn't really like them either, but they were better than this. I've never liked LW's tool panel. I always would get rid of it, and make mouse menus...

They should try something totally new...

AmbientLight
08-14-2003, 06:07 AM
hey hey i wouldn't attack XSI interface. In XSI you can re-arange evrything and have as many layouts as you want. You can also switched between them instantly. They are very easy to edit. Unfortunately you can't say the same about LightWave.

ambient-whisper
08-14-2003, 06:26 AM
i know.:)but im not talking about custumizability at all.
the modern xsi interface isnt really made for window resizeablity, so you gotta either edit the interface as a whole.. or play around with the windows toolbar in order to get the bottom part of xsi visible. its got its own problems.

but thats not what i was talking about..
heres what im talking about.
the shitload of dead pixel space that are hogged by these large jolly/bulky buttons.

http://ambient-whisper.cgcommunity.com/images_dump/modern-interface.jpg

but yeah. i reallly like the customizability part. that you can easily switch between your modelling setup.. and your dual monitor setup... and texturing setup,,, etc. all on the fly.

what im talking about is the buttons.

btw. i know that mike rb has actually changed the LW interface a ton ( the modeller ) theres no toolbar. and uses either all hotkeys/ custom menu that he made. ( or so i remember ) youd have to ask him for specifics )

Werner
08-14-2003, 11:04 AM
Ooooo I can't wait to get my hands on LW 8. I personally like the UI design....clean, beautiful and easy to navigate. That is why I can still do stuff in twice the amount of time, compared to the previous 3d application I used. :)
I hate icons!:thumbsdow

coldcurrent
08-14-2003, 09:39 PM
the interface really..... outdated!!
any new features??
r they fix the bugs pro??

d8ed
08-14-2003, 09:41 PM
i like LW's interface. it's nice and compact and has the shortcuts right on the buttons. i can't stand icons all over the place. i guess that's why i also like XSI's interface although i do agree about it wasting a ton of space to fit those stupid buttons everywhere.

brkn
08-15-2003, 04:15 AM
but thats not what i was talking about..
heres what im talking about.
the shitload of dead pixel space that are hogged by these large jolly/bulky buttons.

[ image snipped ]

Fitt's law:
http://www.cs.umd.edu/class/fall2002/cmsc838s/tichi/fitts.html
http://tripleoptix.com/process/entries/000699.html
http://www.asktog.com/columns/022DesignedToGiveFitts.html

Though I agree for the lesser used buttons that you don't need to be able to hit quickly, the space is wasted.

dmaas
08-15-2003, 09:52 AM
LOL here I was thinking I'm the only one who prefers the old 5.6 GUI... Looks like Newtek is finally coming around :)

wgreenlee1
08-15-2003, 01:27 PM
Newtek needs to reface the inner core of Lightwave to enhance the work flow instead of trying to win a beauty contest.....

Who's idea was this interface?BeeVee's?....J\K.:scream:

Werner
08-15-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by wgreenlee1
Newtek needs to reface the inner core of Lightwave to enhance the work flow instead of trying to win a beauty contest.....

Who's idea was this interface?BeeVee's?....J\K.:scream:

Why don't you just invest your money elswhere wgreenlee!...instead of complaining the whole time....sheesh:shame:

wgreenlee1
08-15-2003, 02:24 PM
Why is it 'complaining' to be critical?
I thought Newtek needed feed back from their customers?
Or maybe its just perspective customers.

Here's an interface they should mimic.....:thumbsup:
http://slaptogether.com/MayaInterface/maya.gif

ambient-whisper
08-15-2003, 07:58 PM
not really :) in that interface i dont see any way to manage objects ;) ive seen better. and cleaner for that matter.

Goon
08-15-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by ambient-whisper
not really :) in that interface i dont see any way to manage objects ;) ive seen better. and cleaner for that matter.

?
Plz explain. You know Maya (I think), so you are aware that everything is available from whatever hotkey/hotbox/marking menu setup he has. So ignoring the ;), what are you refering to?

ambient-whisper
08-15-2003, 09:09 PM
do you see a way of managing many objects in that interface?
also the grid is+transform gizmo+ the dotted lines for edges makes the entire thing look like a mess :)

Goon
08-15-2003, 09:28 PM
apalogies to the LWers for the OT

Ctrl-A brings up the attributes window which can be changed into the channel box/layer window or the tool settings.

Space bar brings up the hotbox. The north zone brings up a marking menu for different viewport/window combos. the southern one does something similar for the selected window. The western menu switches between masking, and the eastern changes the hotbox.

He actually doesnt even need the top menu bar and the panels bar. Those also are available in the hotbox.

All the tools are there. He just doesnt need the visual aids to call them up.

As for the clutter (I assume the cleaner one you are referring to was Mirai?) that can be cleaned up, those are just his preferences (well except for the widget)

ambient-whisper
08-15-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Goon
apalogies to the LWers for the OT

Ctrl-A brings up the attributes window which can be changed into the channel box/layer window or the tool settings.

that would add to the picture that you have there :) as the attribute editor is quite bulky.

Space bar brings up the hotbox. The north zone brings up a marking menu for different viewport/window combos. the southern one does something similar for the selected window. The western menu switches between masking, and the eastern changes the hotbox.

the hotbox is also bloated. wouldnt it be better to make a selection of the item you want to work on, and automatically have the "hotbox" re-configure itself so you only get the items you need? considering thats your modelling setup, you dont need the hotbox to show everything else inside the app.
otherwise for rendering youll need a lot more visible there.

He actually doesnt even need the top menu bar and the panels bar. Those also are available in the hotbox.

yup

As for the clutter (I assume the cleaner one you are referring to was Mirai?) that can be cleaned up, those are just his preferences (well except for the widget)

no. not mirai. actually this isnt a pissing contest, but im just saying that even that screenshot that was posted above is kinda flawed. because you cant do everything from that screenie. youll eventually need to add to the interface to do some things.
i mentioned how the hotbox is flawed. because its not "smart" its just every thing cramped into a certain space,,

also its second flaw is that the screenshots posted of LW are not from the modeller. but the layout. ( notice the timeline.. and other items for animation )

with that maya screenie you cant get a good idea of where your hotkeys are... etc..etc. :) so theres no point in comparing an animation setup to a modelling setup you have in your app. is there?

Goon
08-15-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by ambient-whisper
no. not mirai. actually this isnt a pissing contest, but im just saying that even that screenshot that was posted above is kinda flawed. because you cant do everything from that screenie. youll eventually need to add to the interface to do some things.
i mentioned how the hotbox is flawed. because its not "smart" its just every thing cramped into a certain space

Didnt mean to make it into a pissing contest. I can come across as combative without meaning to.:D

And point taken about context sensitive. While I wouldnt want the hotbox to change a context sensitive marking menu (something that can be done but isnt automatically setup) would definitely be useful.

d8ed
08-15-2003, 10:28 PM
so like.. has anyone seen the videos of Luxology's Modo's menus? how they resize and adapt when they're sized? that's what i'm looking forward to. i always assumed Luxology was working on the next LW. had no idea they would become competitors.

seems people like interfaces they're familiar with. it all depends on what you learned first usually and how hard it is to adapt to a new one. once you learn to write with your right hand it's kinda hard to switch to your left hand.

no more pissing please. has anyone seen LW8's modeler yet? they weren't showing it at Siggraph for some reason.

Ibox
08-15-2003, 11:36 PM
haha, I was wondering when somebody was going to bring up Modo.. tee hee, will it ever get here... then everybody can have what ever they want eh, and still work with their fav tools...

I hope that LW8 meets and exceeds the expectations of the user group is all... and that cool worx may come about as the result...

be happy eh... I is :scream:

d8ed
08-16-2003, 01:06 AM
it's hard not to see Modo as the next modeler. very hard. in my head it's practically the same thing since it was designed and programmed by the same people. i sure hope everyone follows suit and companies start to pay more attention to interface and usability.

wgreenlee1
08-16-2003, 02:07 AM
no more pissing please. has anyone seen LW8's modeler yet? they weren't showing it at Siggraph for some reason.

They are not showing it because theres nothing more they can do to it except add more plugins of which the users probrably have more access to that does Newtek.
Lightwave,I belive is still under total rewrite and we will not be seeing further MODs to Modeler until the program gets up to speed with the likes of MODO which as of yet isnt even out.
I'm sure they are intergrating it but it wil take time and by then everyone will be fawning over MODO or whatever its going to be called so do not expect much from Newtek on the Modeler side of things.

Stone
08-16-2003, 10:02 AM
thats some rumourmill you got access to, wgreenlee.

They are not showing it because theres nothing more they can do to it except add more plugins[..]

not true/rumour.

Lightwave,I belive is still under total rewrite and we will not be seeing further MODs to Modeler until the program gets up to speed[..]

not true/rumour.

I'm sure they are intergrating it but it wil take time[..]

not true/rumour.

[..] so do not expect much from Newtek on the Modeler side of things.

not true/rumour.

wake me up if you ever decide to post anything which holds any truth and got just the least bit of documention to back up your far-fetched claims. :rolleyes:

/stone

wgreenlee1
08-16-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by StonePXD
thats some rumourmill you got access to, wgreenlee.

not true/rumour.

not true/rumour.

not true/rumour.

not true/rumour.

wake me up if you ever decide to post anything which holds any truth and got just the least bit of documention to back up your far-fetched claims. :rolleyes:

/stone

If you choose not to belive it then dont.

Willywo
08-16-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Ibox
haha, I was wondering when somebody was going to bring up Modo.. tee hee, will it ever get here... then everybody can have what ever they want eh, and still work with their fav tools...

I hope that LW8 meets and exceeds the expectations of the user group is all... and that cool worx may come about as the result...

be happy eh... I is :scream:

I agree totally.:beer:

richcz3
08-17-2003, 05:40 AM
I was holding off on my LW8 Upgrade because of all the commotion over Modo. I remember a few years ago I almost didn't upgrade to LW6 because I bought *******. Well, I have been happier with each revision of Lightwave than I have ever been with each new revision of *******.

Now I have updated LW7 to LW8 and have DFX+ sitting next to me. LW is not perfect but it does soooo many things right, right out of the box.

As for the interface, this is about the third thread about the interface since SIGGRAPH ended. It was noted time and again at the show that they were using a basic interface to show some of the new upcoming features. The interface hasn't even been finalized and is still being worked on.

richcz3

colkai
08-17-2003, 03:08 PM
rich,
Nicely said - I too now have DFX+
I was all set not to get LW8 - convinced myself that I couldn't justify it as a hobbyist - then I saw the WIP - even now it has stuff I always wanted. Throw in DFX+ - well, colour me broke ;)

Anyone who has owned LW from versions of old knows this sort of thing raises it's head every time upgrades are on the horizon. Human nature - we all want everything and we want it now, ideally for free :p

dantea
08-17-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by d8ed
so like.. has anyone seen the videos of Luxology's Modo's menus? how they resize and adapt when they're sized? that's what i'm looking forward to. i always assumed Luxology was working on the next LW. had no idea they would become competitors.

Modo actually remind me of Houdini's resizeability.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.