PDA

View Full Version : Why Cant you scale in Global?

lakehaze
05-15-2002, 09:18 PM
Why wont xsi let you scale globaly on the object level, or is there a switch a can turn on?

insanelight
05-16-2002, 08:47 AM
If you means to scale an object uniformly, you have to press SHIFT button...
If I haven't understand correctly your question, sorry. :p

Bye

Atyss
05-16-2002, 02:13 PM
I think this is because scaling is relative to the object's center, so there is no point to have global scaling.

If you want mimic a scaling that is based on the global center I suggest that you make the object child of a null placed at the global center and then that you scale this null.

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

Vic3k
05-16-2002, 02:29 PM
if you rotated the object and been screwing around with it but then you want to scale it as if it was like a default cube that you just created that matches its pivote direction with global coordinates of the scene then just freez transformations and your object's scale will be set to default axis.
on the right side: transform>freeze all transforms

lakehaze
05-16-2002, 06:31 PM
Your absolutly right about the freeze transforms. And it does remidy the situation. But as we all know it is sometimes important to keep different local axis'. I just think its weird that you can translate and rotate in both local and global axis', but not scaling. I just dont see why you wouldn't want the option.

It looks as though they purposefully took it out, all I can assume is that it didn't work properly or something. If any body knows why scaling is denied the same abilities as translation and rotation, please explain.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.