PDA

View Full Version : Rain Forest, Philipstraub (2D)

Philipstraub
08-11-2003, 02:36 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/35313/rainforest_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/35313/rainforest.jpg)

http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/35313/rainforest.jpg

A painting for a children's CD Rom game. Photoshop 7 and Painter 7 used. Some custom nozzles made for this one.
I was the Lead Background Artist on this project and was able to convince my boss that we could do some disney style backgrounds for the product. Fun stuff!
Painting by me, Layout by me and Paul Pham.
Copyright Vivendi Universal Games

Kredepops
08-11-2003, 02:58 PM
Wow, that's incredible! Looks like something straight out of Disney's Tarzan! I really like how the color changes to blue in the background. Top notch! :beer:

Philipstraub
08-11-2003, 03:08 PM
Kredepops: Thanks...There is actually some reasoning behinfd the transition of color in the background. This background is actually 4 screens that panned up and down and left to right. I tried to make each screen have a slightly different feel while mantaining a pleasing look to the image as a whole.

Phil

Aelius
08-11-2003, 04:17 PM
Wow:eek:
I love the colours!!

Philipstraub
08-11-2003, 08:06 PM
Thanks Aelius!

coldcurrent
08-11-2003, 08:39 PM
it is cool!! the lighting ( this word id quite weird to use in 2d artwork :P ) is really cool!
any other stuff??

nina
08-11-2003, 08:56 PM
Good pic u got there, like the lightning in the bg, and the moss that hangs on the trees are really lovely.
Are the game released, and the title? If itīs possible to look at some more enviromentpics?
Looked at your sajt, lots of amazing work u got there!!!!

Philipstraub
08-11-2003, 09:20 PM
Nina: Thanks...glad you like it! The game has been released..it's called Jumpstart Animals through VU games. I'll post more soon.

This image actually got into the Expose book so you can see it in high rez if you buy the book.

Arab Queen
08-11-2003, 09:58 PM
wooooooooooooooooooooow!
cooooooooooooooooooool!
good job:applause:

Philipstraub
08-12-2003, 01:15 AM
Thanks Arab Queen!

amo_77
08-12-2003, 01:34 AM
Wow! Great stuff. It's beautiful. The feel of the scene makes me think of an old game called The Black Cauldron... used to play it a lot when I was younger (yeah, it's been A WHILE). There have been many games since, but your imagery makes me think of the whimsy mixed with danger associated with TBC. Funny how stuff takes you back. Wish you had some progression stills available so we could see the process.

Kudos.

- A

danb
08-12-2003, 04:52 AM
Phillipstraub, nice job. it looks very much like your hopes for the picture. very disney-like. could you give a time frame on this perhaaps.

davidSingha
08-12-2003, 05:05 AM
Nice work!

cheers:beer:

Draco-84
08-12-2003, 05:10 AM
Beautiful job!
One comment I have:
The tree in the center/right foreground ... the leaves you brushed (I'm assuming from a pattern that you made) ... I would reccomend darkening either the layer that those pattern-like leaves are on or your leaf pattern itself... the former being easier. That way the leaf pattern wouldn't stick out so much.
Other than that Very Well Done!!
Very solid vegetation... and I know that's hard to do!
Nice image! Saved! :thumbsup:

Philipstraub
08-12-2003, 05:11 AM
amo_77: Yeh man...the black cauldron was awesome. I definetly take that as a compliment! I unfortunately don't have any progression stills avaliable at this time. I'll tell you what I will do...I'm gearing up to do another image along thease lines and I will save the progression for future use..deal?? I'm also going to post some other tutorials on my website so please check back when you can.

danb: Thanks! Time frame was about 4 working days give or take a day. I would work on it here and there in between doing other stuff.

Thanks david Singha!

jadedchron
08-12-2003, 06:02 AM
i've been using photoshop for a long long time...have a wacom graphire 2 tablet for about half a year now and i'm still mystified as how you can make that out of photoshop/painter. maybe you could point me in the right direction? the image is totally awesome. gj :thumbsup:

MattDubs
08-12-2003, 06:27 AM
really really nice. i can see the disney influence you were talking about, kinda looks like something out of tarzan

Philipstraub
08-12-2003, 06:29 AM
jadedchron: Glad you like it, thank you!

Basically I approach a digital painting the same way I approach a traditional one. Applying the fundamentals; composition, perspective, value structure, color theory, lighting and visual storytelling.

Everyone does work different in Photoshop and Painter. I tend to do a bunch of grayscale sketches....dealing with form, shape and composition first until I come up with the basic shapes and lighting that I like. Depending on the subject matter I may fake the lighting a bit for the desired effect (which I did in this painting). Then I usually do a color sketch trying to figure out the overall mood of the piece. This can be determined by what the image is being used for or what kind of action is occuring in the background (in the case of an animation background). I choose an overall color theme and then I go back to the drawing and begin refining it. Once the drawing is tight enough and seems fairly pleasing I begin blocking in the color from the color sketch. In Photoshop I tend to build everything up from the background to the foreground starting with the things farthest away from the viewer. I also put everything in layers so I can easily update and change things later. I use the opacity controls of the brushes in Photoshop constantly to slowly build up the color and texture of objects. I also have quite a few custom brushes I've created over the years to create things like bark, leaves, grass etc. I ususally will bring the image into painter towards the mid-point of its creation and add some natural media touches and custom nozzles I've created for organic type things like foliage. Once I'm happy I move back into Photoshop and begin really refining the painting ..adding the finer textures and details. I also begin defining the drama of the piece further by adding the lightest light and darkest dark to really create a focal point to the piece. Finally I might add an adjustment layer with some layer mask to push and pull some values and hue saturation to further define the light and focal point.
There's somewhat of an explanation for how I work...it is different each time but I do tend to follow this procedure pretty closely...I hope it helps:)

Phil

Dennik
08-12-2003, 06:30 AM
Cool! And i was looking for a new desktop these days!
:thumbsup:

asela
08-12-2003, 06:36 AM
buetiful stuff

asela

jadedchron
08-12-2003, 06:38 AM
wow that is great. thanks for sharing your thoughts. i really appreciate it. going to go mess with some brushes once again and see what happens :buttrock:

Philipstraub
08-12-2003, 06:42 AM
awesome jadechron..I look forward to seeing what yo come up with!

fattdex
08-12-2003, 07:14 AM
Walk to the left, then use the oars on the holes in the trees!

timinator
08-12-2003, 07:25 AM
NOW THERE'S TALENT !!!!:buttrock:

Painter rocks and people who can really use it are..ummm.. rockier (?) :scream:

is this game?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006352W/qid=1060669709/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-6113729-9483966?v=glance&s=software

3DDave
08-12-2003, 07:26 AM
Reminds me of the work by Thomas Moran and Fredrick Edwin Church.

???
08-12-2003, 07:29 AM
wow its beutifull

mehdianim
08-12-2003, 07:47 AM
very pretty, reminds me of hte legend of Kyrandia series...with more of a tropical foliage though...

dimitrios_c
08-12-2003, 07:53 AM
A painting for a children's CD Rom game.

Ahh to be a kid again... They never really had cdrom games when i was younger, only started having them when I was about 14, and they were never of this quality. Excellent! :drool:

Garma
08-12-2003, 08:37 AM
ey... very very cool stuff

Jimzip
08-12-2003, 09:21 AM
Excellent work!:drool:
My sister saw it also and said it was awesome!
I would love to be able to do stuff like this in the future, the mood is fantastic, and the scene is definetely Disneyish in some aspects. It looks very much like the style used in The Emperor's new groove..
A Wacom for christmas I hope! ;)

Jimzip :D

E.T
08-12-2003, 10:06 AM
Id really like to see those nozzles. No im not asking you to give them away, but to share the principle. Ive never really bothered with the nozzles in painter, and tend to do most of my work "by hand", the long and tedious way. So anything that might speed up the process would be a nice gift.

And oh, its a beautiful picture. Really like the fogging of the background.

KotsVlok
08-12-2003, 12:27 PM
You indeed managed to get to the 'disney look'
Magnifique! :thumbsup:

eLm0
08-12-2003, 01:37 PM
wow great LOVE the colours really vibrant wow i like this alot

ivo D
08-12-2003, 02:25 PM
beautifull work!!

just great!!

put some ape in there and you have jungle book hehe or tarzan..

rememberd me of the lion king, and tarzan games .. and i emidiatly thought on the odworld backgrounds,that had that same feel of depth.. really well done

ZVAN
08-12-2003, 02:27 PM
the colour mist and blending from blue to yellow is stunning, great work there... =):applause:

Philipstraub
08-12-2003, 02:50 PM
Thanks for all your feedback guys!

JahnkeKong
08-12-2003, 02:57 PM
phenomenal work on that website!! I especially liked the 3d cooperative work you did with your friend -- really great use of color and lighting! Defintely bookmarking the site for inspiration!

Leandro-m
08-12-2003, 06:22 PM
Great Stuff!!
=D

Philipstraub
08-12-2003, 07:02 PM
broodingwolf: thanks...glads you like the site...I have much more to update. That's awesome you like the collaboritive stuff I did with Chris. We hope to do more...when we can find some time.

friendlymike
08-12-2003, 08:53 PM

Philipstraub
08-13-2003, 12:14 AM
E.T: Nozzles are a curious thing. When i first discovered them I was a bit afraid to use them as I thought it was somehow cheating. I was used to creating all my textures and details in my traditional paintings by hand and therefore approached my digital paintings the same way.
But, tight deadlines in a studio can change that..and you do what you can to get the job done as fast as you can. There are 3 types of nozzles; a one rank, two rank, and three rank. Basically the rank is defined by the amount of variables you are allowed to create when making the nozzle. One variable for a one rank, two variable for a two rank and so on. The variables are things like varied sizes and angles of the clip art created for the nozzle. Creating them is a bit complicated to explain over this forum. If you are really interested you can check out the help menu in painter and it has a pretty good explanation of how to make them. Once you get it...it's a powerful tool. I have a library of them now and they help me complete paintings quite a bit faster.

Good luck

Phil

wazza m
08-13-2003, 02:38 AM
I think your spatial knowledge is fantastic - excellent use of colour to create depth.

I just wanna jump in there and go hunting lizard men!!:p :p :p

wazza

RuneV
08-13-2003, 09:50 AM
truly amazing!
I love the colors and the atmosphere.
http://www.home.no/fjooner/icon_smile_C1.gif

fotan
08-19-2003, 10:42 AM
I love the colours!!

lildragon
08-23-2003, 12:07 AM
Love it, love it, nothing more I can say. Nothing I would change, I really dig the transition from the blue on the right to the green, very very nice.

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Great work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_aug03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

Philipstraub
08-23-2003, 02:12 AM
Thank you lildragon...the award is greatly appreciated

ramy
10-21-2004, 06:01 AM
Man, this is gorgeous! I love the change of the colors in the background ambience from green to blue!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.