PDA

View Full Version : Futuristic Motorbike

jeroentje
05-15-2002, 08:18 PM
Made this thing tonight. It's a design-sketch, so the coloring really really sucks. That's for seeing the curves of the bike only.

It's supposed to be some sort of a mix between a chopper and a futuristc dragster. There's also a Harley Davidson down there somewhere.

Please let me know what you think of the design. I'm planning a perspective drawing.

Cheers, jeroentje :beer:

Eldorian
05-16-2002, 12:41 PM
I think it looks cool, maybe not too futuristic... Did you do the lines in photoshop? Because I think PS is bad at just lines and circles, and I thinking about using some other program for that...

hawkprey
05-16-2002, 01:34 PM
I think its damn tight. I would really look good with one of those huge sweeping exhaust pipes like the new v-rod

good stuff

puddlefish
05-16-2002, 03:32 PM
The only crit I have is that this doesn't really look like it was designed to be ridden by humans comfortably. It looks like it was designed to look cool. Mechanical concept design is very like (or should be at least) industrial design, in that a convincing design always looks practical and functional, with thought given to ease of use, comfort, safety etc. The design really needs to accomodate these qualities, not compromise them.

Having said that, your technique is nice and clean, which is important.

Hope this helps!!

Benchpress
05-16-2002, 06:04 PM
The design of that cycle may work for the eyes but not for the rider.

Dirve 5 minutes on this bike will destroy rider's back... :insane: I think that design must follow the human structure and his functions and not vice-versa! Maybe simply raising up the fuel tank may work, in this way the curve of the back is more natural and the rider get more comfort because he can rest the chest on it and relax the muscles.

I can't understand another thing: how u can do curves with that motorcycle? Turning the handle or just moving the body left or right changing the barycentre? From your art it seems that u have to turn left/right the handle-bar and this is impossible to do if the drive are estended along the bike as u drew in your pic.

Those aren't useless details but important difference between a good to watch work and a very functional detailed project.

Hope to have been helpful.

jeroentje
05-17-2002, 08:06 PM
Okay, it's been some time since I started this thread. Sorry for my late reaction on it. I thought first I should do a better job (and the sun was shining so nicely :) )

It's getting less and less futuristic but he, so what ;)

Eldorian
Thanks, and no. I did the lines in illustrator, copied it to photoshop and sprayed some paint under it.

hawkprey
Thanks man.

puddlefish
Thanks for all compliments. But you're right. I was thinking something was wrong with it. Appreciate your crittics.

Benchpress
Yes you have been helpfull. Didn't get all things you mentioned (my english failed on me again for your last alinea about the curves). Please let me know what you think on this one:

Benchpress
05-18-2002, 08:38 AM
Now it's work correctly and the design is pretty nice.

Good idea man.

About the curves?
In the old position the driver could not turn lef or right the handle bar so the bike couldnot do curves... but this is an impression of mine.

Best regards.

Bench

jeroentje
05-18-2002, 10:33 PM
I thought that since it started looking like a wasp anyway, I could give it some yellow coloring. Here's the final drawing. Thanks 4 all the crittics.

cheers, jeroentje :beer:

RDK
05-21-2002, 03:10 PM
Pretty nice concept, I will give modeling it a try tomorrow (still working on my maya skills and need as much practice as i can get atm) and post a pic here of its progress if you would like.

jeroentje
05-21-2002, 09:51 PM
He RDK, that would be cool!

jeroentje :beer:

ashecorbin
05-23-2002, 08:00 AM
jeroentje, how did you render the yellow one?

looks cool

jeroentje
05-23-2002, 10:02 AM
ashecorbin, this is not a render. It's 2D. Just me, Illustrator for the lines, and photoshop plus my trusty wacom for the coloring.
jeroentje

ashecorbin
05-23-2002, 07:29 PM
yeah, I meant render in the broad way of "any finalized version of a design"

looks like that works well. I really like the chrome bits on the rear. ...but you used illustrator for the lines?

I've tried that with only photoshop... the only issue I ever have with that is I can't get the linework to have proper perspective (i.e. lines thinning as they get further away) without a lot of extra work.

Does Illustrator make that easier than PS does?

jeroentje
05-23-2002, 07:43 PM
Illustrator is vector. So an ellips stays an ellips and you can move it around, rotate it, scale it, whatever, till it's in the place you want it to be. Besides, if you extend the short crossline from an ellips, and you rotate it around a vanashing point, it's always in a perspectively correct way. Just extend it or narrow it to be perfect.
And for the rest of the lines, keep moving around ankerpoints etc.

I don't care much for lines getting smaller. Just when it looks unnatural, you can put a thicker line around it or softly erase it later in PS with an opacity-eraser.

In Illustrator I put a grid under it in a different layer and in a different color. Just for guideline reasons.

Hope this answers your question. Personally I think Illustrator is a fantastic piece of software. I've used it for almost ten years now. Never found a better vector prog.

jeroentje

ashecorbin
05-23-2002, 10:58 PM
And when you say that you "put a grid under it in a different layer and in a different color. Just for guideline reasons" do you mean one that is in perspective, as in, vanishing toward a horizon?

I'm sorry to be so persistent - it's just that I've been working on how to make a good-looking perspective (in respects to auto design) on my computer, aside from scanning in sketches... since I don't own a scanner.

I really appreciate your tips.

cheers

jeroentje
05-24-2002, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by ashecorbin
And when you say that you "put a grid under it in a different layer and in a different color. Just for guideline reasons" do you mean one that is in perspective, as in, vanishing toward a horizon?

Yes, exactly like that. In that layer you can also clearly put in the vanashing points, a thick line 4 the horizon etc.

jeroentje

ashecorbin
05-25-2002, 03:12 AM
Thanks, I'll give that a shot:thumbsup:

neofotistos
07-01-2002, 10:36 PM
:) a job well-done. looks futuristic enough to me!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.