PDA

View Full Version : Mini Display Port....wtf?

Troyan
09-29-2009, 12:03 AM
Can someone explain to me why the new graphics cards come with a dual link DVI port and a mini display port instead of 2 DVI ports? Besides making me batass crazy?

biliousfrog
09-29-2009, 07:49 AM
Probably the same reason that they used to come with a single VGA and a single DVI, it's a transition period and they're offering two display options until Display Port becomes more common.

Shademaster
09-29-2009, 08:49 AM
You can buy converters for mini display port to DVI right? Check macrumors.com for compatibility issues though, I heard you have singel-link and dual-link converters.

ThE_JacO
09-29-2009, 09:09 AM
The mini/HDMI ports are supposed to be the next step from DVI, and they are fully compatible, can drive the same resolution without signal degradation, are cheaper to manufacture, and include audio support and HDCP in the recent specs right away.

It's very likely everything will transition to it in the long term, and I guess quite a few users actually enjoy having them. Quite a few monitors too are starting to come out with HDMI only inputs and cables and an end adapter for the videocard port.

Edit:
btw that's kind of second hand/collected info.
I looked into the same thing not long ago because when I was putting together my new workstation I found a lot of my choices were moving away from DVI and I did a fair bit of digging to make sure I wasn't getting shafted., but I've never bothered personally going over the I/O and In specs of both formats or testing signals, nor am likely to ever do.
From my limited experience insofar the above seems to have turned out correct though.

dan1el
09-29-2009, 10:47 AM
The mini/HDMI ports are supposed to be the next step from DVI, and they are fully compatible, can drive the same resolution without signal degradation, are cheaper to manufacture, and include audio support and HDCP in the recent specs right away.

It's very likely everything will transition to it in the long term, and I guess quite a few users actually enjoy having them. Quite a few monitors too are starting to come out with HDMI only inputs and cables and an end adapter for the videocard port.

but it's not HDMI, it's the Apple developed standard "MiniDisplay", just useful to know when looking for adapters (Apple got them, since all laptops from Apple only come with MiniDisplay, the MacPro offers both DVI and MiniDisplay)

ThE_JacO
09-29-2009, 11:09 AM
I know, but as far as apple and their laptops are concerned, their mini is the equivalent of the HDMI movement. Audio support, no pins design, same signal, cheap manufacturing, 1:1 hdmi adaptability etc.

The only thing I was reading around was the complaints about the laptops actually not having audio output to the port, but that's just a production choice, the specs do allow for it and it's the same map of hdmi. Same goes for copy protection etc.

Troyan
09-29-2009, 11:28 AM
You can buy converters for mini display port to DVI right? Check macrumors.com for compatibility issues though, I heard you have singel-link and dual-link converters.

Yes, you can. Along with a DVI to Mini DVI, DVI to Micro DVI, DVI to ADC...in the words of John Wayne, that's just ri-goddam-diculous.

Oh, and make sure it's DVI-I and not DVI-D. Or is it the other way? The things people come up with to justify having a job.

CGTalk Moderation
09-29-2009, 11:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.