PDA

View Full Version : maya : to instance or not to instance

himadrism
09-28-2009, 09:14 PM
i have a model with a lot of small similar objects which are actually instanced duplicates of one object. this is a mechanical model & it will eventually be textured, rigged & animated...all the similar objects are separate & will rotate & move differently.....will the instancing create any problems when i texture or rig my model? Or should i copy them instead? when instancing objects, does it lead to problems later during animation?

Piflik
09-29-2009, 02:22 AM
As long as you don't deform them (and since it is a mechanical model that is unlikely...) you won't run into problems with riggin and animating. Texturing you might have a problem, if you want to texture them differently. They will have the same UV coordinates (at least I think so...don't know exactly how Maya handles them...) so you'd have to use separate images if you want them to look different.

himadrism
09-29-2009, 07:24 AM
thank you for replying.....have to clear up the confusion about the texturing part though.

CGTalk Moderation
09-29-2009, 07:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.