PDA

View Full Version : Any Musician in here? What do you Play?

ronaldomiranda
08-11-2003, 12:06 PM
I am just curious about it....

I am working in a music studio...
if you need some help on it too, i hope i can

i have found a lot of musicians envolved in art and in 3d too

Maybe some little "Da Vinci"s around.....

:buttrock:

allaboutkeys
08-11-2003, 12:26 PM
Look at my avatar and my username... now guess what instrument I play... ;)

leigh
08-11-2003, 01:03 PM
Bass player here :wavey: (for 10 years now)

faulknermano
08-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Leigh
Bass player here :wavey: (for 10 years now)

yeah.. i could picture as a bass player. :D (bum,bum,bum,slap,pop)

oh guess what i play?

woh, woh, waaah, waaah! (no not a baby-crying mandolin). (10 years)

i also play

wlaptong! ting, tung, vroom...(8 years)

and lastly, i play

tooohng, tooohng.....(2 years, but a rank newbie)

clue: the first and third are wind instruments. the second should be a no brainer. blues rules!

Willax
08-11-2003, 03:50 PM
Hehe, anything creative all fits together. I own my own studio. I play guitar, bass, a little keys, harmonica,and sing. I've got two cd's released also. And all of this for far more years than I can remember, or 40 whichever comes first.:cool:

ronaldomiranda
08-11-2003, 03:50 PM
Great fellows....

Here i play guitar and keyboards.

we could make some experimental track some day!:thumbsup:

manfriday
08-11-2003, 04:52 PM
yeah Im a musician. I havea studio in the basement.
I am primarily a drummer, but I have been writing my own crappy songs now.. playing guitar, bass and singing.
some of my crappy songs are on my website.
www.jay-sun.com

I played all the instruments on those tunes.
I warn you though.. I sing like a goat!
;)

swampthing
08-11-2003, 06:02 PM
guitar for 16 years.

milqman
08-11-2003, 06:10 PM
Piano for quite a few years (since 2nd grade... I'm in 10th now... but since i don't practice much at all I'm probably not half as good as you might imagine)

Drums (for about 6 months)

Harmonica (not really seriously but I can play it decent)

ThreeDBFX
08-11-2003, 06:15 PM
I play the bagpipes, been playing for about 6 years. Before that I played drums, but had to quit because of an old wrist injury.

Rock On! :buttrock:

anieves
08-11-2003, 06:15 PM
maybe you all get toghether and ply at Newtek's SIGGRAPH party next year!:beer:

ngrava
08-11-2003, 06:28 PM
Yep, I know a lot of people that are animators and musicians. I actually run a record label in addition to working on commercials as a 3D animator. It's called IsDiff recordings. We have a few 6 artists and we mainly do experimental electronic stuff.

-=GB=-

BoulYaBase
08-11-2003, 06:30 PM
Keys here. 16 years now.
:beer:

There does indeed seem to be a common relationship between 3D artists and musicians.

About a third of my business is writing/producing music for everything from corporate videos and music on hold to working with indie artists and mastering audio CDs. We've also been getting quite a bit of voice-over work in the studio here during the past year for short films, video, and games.

ronaldomiranda
08-11-2003, 06:51 PM
Great to know there is a great band inside!

we could try a track, anyone using Cubase, Logic or whatever?

allaboutkeys
08-11-2003, 06:58 PM
Cubase SL on Win XP. My favorite virtual instruments are Spectrasonics' Atmosphere, Stylus and Trilogy! I also have some hardware synths but I rarely use them any more.

Delucubus
08-11-2003, 07:00 PM
Kinda cool seeing whos playing music in here, I play the drums, in a band, and we're actually finishing up our first cd. www.standardsound.com.

Also, working on a project where I recorded me playing the drums in different sections and I'm going to have a character "air drum" to me playing in a little story.

manfriday
08-11-2003, 07:15 PM
COol stuff, Delucubus. The two tunes ya had up on the web had alot of comercial appeal. I bet you'll be on soundtracks before ya know it. :)
My stuff will only be played in methadone clinics. ;)

sensai2nd
08-11-2003, 08:03 PM
. . . can play the spoons and the washboard!!!
Oh, yeah, and I've been playing guitar for about 10 years now (which often makes me wonder why I still suck at it) . . .

polarman3d
08-11-2003, 08:19 PM
It's cool to see so many musicians in here! CG and music go hand in hand as far as I am concerned...

I myself play bass, piano/keyboards, and guitar...I've played only bass professionally though.

You can hear some of my band's stuff here. (http://www.polarific.com) The songs on there are actually from our last album. The latest and final album is being finished up as we speak...

BoulYaBase
08-11-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Delucubus
Also, working on a project where I recorded me playing the drums in different sections and I'm going to have a character "air drum" to me playing in a little story.

Doh! I'm working on an animated short with a frighteningly similar element.
:eek: :eek:

Miyazaki
08-11-2003, 09:47 PM
Piano and Keyboard. I like things with white and black keys
:love:

telamon
08-11-2003, 10:26 PM
Guitar player for 15 years. I used to play classic, folk and gipsy jazz (jazz manouche in French). I have recently purchased a copy of a Les Paul and I am know practising on old blues and Rock standards (Chuck Berry, BB King, Albert King, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimi Hendrix....)

Guitar Roxxxx :buttrock:

geoff3dnz
08-11-2003, 11:06 PM
Drumming for 9 years, and I play a real bad (read: not-so-good) guitar...
:)

JuggleNuts
08-11-2003, 11:22 PM
All breeds of saxaphone, but the one of choice is the baritone-saxaphone. Been playing for about 10-11 years now.

Brett H.
08-12-2003, 12:42 AM
Guitar for 20 years. Haven't had much time to play in recent years though, and the calluses are pretty much gone from my fingertips, and the old chops just ain't up to speed.

Sucks to admit that! :D

Brett

ronaldomiranda
08-12-2003, 01:19 AM
Damn!!!

I am really impressed for a great number of mucisians in here...

We could , honestly saying, make some music just for fun!!!:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

i am playing a lot with NI stuff too: www.native-instruments.com

gruvsyco
08-12-2003, 01:28 AM
throughout the years: keyboards, guitar and bass. Most recently I picked up a mixer and a Pioneer CDJ800 and am trying my handing at turntablism.

boxcolony
08-12-2003, 01:48 AM
I'm synth/keyboard palyer of a Progressive band called "fuseboxx"
been playing for almost 7 years:buttrock:

froggyplat
08-12-2003, 02:27 AM
guitar for 15 years, studied jazz at a certain music college in boston;)

also, bass and drums for almost as long. released a few self-produced cd's with my last band, did a little touring, lost a lot of money, etc. made most of it back, had some music on mtv's "the real world"..

gave it all up for cg, though, and never looked back:)

one of my basses:

http://www.digiwonk.com/images/021_18.jpg

JVitale
08-12-2003, 07:59 AM
Violin----15 years...It was my major in college...

I also played the flute and Vibraphone in the high school jazz band.

Incidentally, did anyone go to the emerging technologies pavilion at Siggraph and see a demo of a prototype software where you could create symphonic scores by drawing different colored bars across an interface?...It was cool!

Odrakir
08-12-2003, 08:20 AM
Good to see I'm not alone.

I play spanish guitar since I can remeber (mostly Spanish songwriters, Silvio Rodriguez but also Eric Clapton, Rolling Stones...)

I played bass with a band for something less than a year, but bass is really not my instrument.

Now I'm trying to learn piano time to time... really frustrating.

Odrakir.

robkoni
08-12-2003, 08:57 AM
Played keyboards and was a pretty good sound designer/Drum programmer,played at Glastonbury a few times,Tried to make a living out of music...........Did'nt:blush:
Sold my whole studio ,Bought a computer ,Photoshop and LW.............The rest is History.............:rolleyes:

Memodin
08-12-2003, 09:41 AM
I play "Nay". It is a Turkish instrument. A kind of flut that made from bamboo.

Aeroplane
08-12-2003, 11:16 AM
I am a Guitar & Bass Player.:rolleyes:
22 years old,play the guitars for fun for about 6 years.

shivacola
08-12-2003, 12:20 PM
guitar (solo):
heavy ,speed, power metal.

ronaldomiranda
08-12-2003, 12:44 PM
The List is growing day by day...

If anyone interested in make 1 music in Cubase or Sonar, post in here...

Just for fun!:buttrock:

Novadesigns
08-14-2003, 03:16 AM
Cool thread! :thumbsup:

Well, I'm a drummer going on 30 years now. I also play bass and keyboards (mostly for compositional purposes)

I also studied at a certain music school in Boston! :) What years were you there froggyplat? I was there 1986-1991 :)

Mgfx
08-14-2003, 05:58 AM
been playing guitar for 12 years now, on an amateur level only :) I enjoy it though.. here's a song if ya have the time :)

Is there anybody out there - Pink Floyd (http://mgfx.pixelmagic.dyndns.org/music/itaot.mp3)

kretin
08-14-2003, 07:04 AM
I bin playing piano/keyboard for 26 years (my god I feel old now), and bin doing a fair bit of arranging in Cubase for 13 years...

I have 2 guitars (one electric and one acoustic) but I never seem to find the time to learn them well enough to actually play anything decent :(

I write pop/rock songs and attempt to sing them too :p

ronaldomiranda
08-15-2003, 03:11 AM
Cubase is indeed a great tool Kretin!!!

manfriday
08-15-2003, 03:19 AM
cubase SX is very cool..
I mostly use Samplitude Producer 7 which is also quite cool if you do mainly audio..
not as good for midi stuff.. but for audio it rules. :)

CLAW
08-15-2003, 11:42 AM
guitarist, also playing piano.

Have some synths hooked up to my Mac and running Logic as the sequencer.

colkai
08-15-2003, 04:00 PM
Guitars, for many years now.
Also do some keyboards, and sequencing for Drums / bass.
Use a GI-10 /GA2 guitar interface for 'bass' - also cool for sax solos! :D

Been playing and writing for a long time - the only thing that stopped me doing every day was Lightwave ;)

Music wise, love to play rock and blues.
I normally end up writing ballads <shrugs> go figure!

Had a group or two for a while, now I do everything at home in my little studio / study.

ronaldomiranda
08-15-2003, 06:02 PM
Great Band together in here :beer:

But no music yet. :shame:

CLAW
08-15-2003, 06:09 PM
ronaldomiranda:

what do mean with "but no music yet"?

ronaldomiranda
08-15-2003, 06:14 PM
Hey CLAW,

I would like to make some music with people from this forum

just for fun, if you do... Please post

(here i am using Cubase SX and Sonar)

I know the goal from this forum is LW talk.
But we could offer this music for someone´s animation project
etc, etc.

:thumbsup:

CLAW
08-15-2003, 06:34 PM
I am gonna post some of my stuff, just need to find a host that can hold them for me.

JVitale
08-15-2003, 08:01 PM
Just out of curiosity, what's Cubase and Sonar. The last time I did anything with music and computers, I worked as a music engraver using a mac back in 1990

DSedov
08-15-2003, 09:27 PM
I pleay guitar, but mostly write electronic music.

here is a link for my latest creation.

Click here (http://www.3dennis.com/music/)

leigh
08-15-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by JVitale
Just out of curiosity, what's Cubase and Sonar. The last time I did anything with music and computers, I worked as a music engraver using a mac back in 1990

I've never used Sonar, but I know Steinberg Cubase - it's a sequencing program :)

ronaldomiranda
08-15-2003, 09:54 PM
Hey JVitale, are you talking about Igor engraver notation?

Sonar and Cubase are sequencing music programs, like Leigh said

But with Sonar and Cubase you can add audio (imported) or recorded live, and mix it (both midi and audio) and export it as a wav file for burn in a CD...

kretin
08-15-2003, 11:45 PM
Hehe, got my first copy of Cubase in 1990, running on an Atari ST :) Those were the days...

Novadesigns
08-16-2003, 05:00 AM
I use Emagic's Logic Audio these days. unreal program!

I actually started out waaaaaay back in the begining of time using MOTU Performer on the Mac Plus/SE, then Opcode's Vision sequencer on my Mac II (whoohoo 12-inch, 8-bit color screen!!!). Eventually Vision and Studio Vision were swallowed up and I switched to Logic.

froggyplat
08-16-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Novadesigns

I also studied at a certain music school in Boston! :) What years were you there froggyplat? I was there 1986-1991 :)

i was there for 3 semesters during 90-91, actually...had to drop out because of the cost. i lost track with most everyone i knew there, except occasionally i see gillian welch around (i had her in two of my music theory classes with bill schism (sp?)).

in my last band i played with a drummer who went the year after i did. he plays in a band now called foursidecircle (in dallas). if you're in irving, you might have heard of the dallas area musicians group (DAM)...i got to know a lot of folks through them.

another good friend, bleu mcaulley ended going after me as well, and is still up in boston (doing very well).

pelos
08-16-2003, 09:00 PM
classic guitar, i belive 6 years? some thing like that, and heavy metal in my electric guitar, i know, is a little change, but there are so many thing in comun!!! you will be surprise!!
we have afestival right now in september, i still need some one to sing, we have in the group i keyboards, one guitar, one bass, one drums, singer missing!!! :thumbsdow

cyroz2000
08-16-2003, 09:08 PM
diatonic accordion,:)
for about 5 days
Still trying to understand how does it works... :shrug:

marchermann
08-16-2003, 09:21 PM
I got keyboard lessons for two years when I was about eleven. Didn't really like it that much and never practised enough. But it was a good foundation for getting a general understanding for music.

Later (age 15) I joined a band. As a singer/songwriter. Couldn't sing, though, so I got kicked out.

At last (age 18) I found the instrument designed for me: the computer. I started doing electronic music - house, techno, that kind of thing for the next five years.

Two years ago (age 27) I stumbled across a program called "Reason" which is absolutely amazing. I used it eventually for my short film.

Marc

Novadesigns
08-16-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by froggyplat
i was there for 3 semesters during 90-91, actually...had to drop out because of the cost. i lost track with most everyone i knew there, except occasionally i see gillian welch around (i had her in two of my music theory classes with bill schism (sp?)).

in my last band i played with a drummer who went the year after i did. he plays in a band now called foursidecircle (in dallas). if you're in irving, you might have heard of the dallas area musicians group (DAM)...i got to know a lot of folks through them.

another good friend, bleu mcaulley ended going after me as well, and is still up in boston (doing very well).

Pretty cool! I studied Line Writing with ol' Schism--tough as hell class!
Yeah I've lost contact with a lot of people too since I'm not playing much these days. But a lot of my good friends made it big and I'm happy for them. Paula Cole, Warren Hill, Mindi Abair and a few others. Anyway I make SOOO much better money as a CG artist, and I also don't have to put up with all the music biz BS--so I can do what I want with my music. ;)

Thanks! I'll have to look into DAM.. I've only been here 7 months since moving from Boston and I'm itching to play with some people.

Halsu
08-16-2003, 10:05 PM
Drums, bass, guitar. A tiny bit of keyboards.

Haven't had much time to play lately...

This band went the way of the dodo around 1999 (i played bass on this - i also recorded the demos):

SOAPWISH (http://www.kolumbus.fi/erkki.halkka/Soapwish.html)

This one folded in 1992 or something, but we had a one time only "reunion" gig last fall (You can see me drummin' there...):

SAIRAALA ("Hospital") (http://www.akmp-program.fi/Eki/TYC/Sairaala.html)

JVitale
08-17-2003, 03:13 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ronaldomiranda
[B]Hey JVitale, are you talking about Igor engraver notation?

Nope!. I used HB Engraver and Finale...I don't think either one of them are around anymore. It was a fun thing to do though.

ronaldomiranda
08-17-2003, 03:16 AM
wow....the number of musicians is really big in here!

Now i know that Newtek will "must" add in LW 8:

a mp3 file importer
a midi file importer

which more?

:applause:

ArneK
08-17-2003, 05:02 PM
Funny how many people who work in art and design who also do music... :)

Waaay back I used to DJ, and I made a lot of music (minimalistic techno) around 1995-98 by the alias Implosion, and released a few records (on vinyl and compliations) on the labels Beatservice (Norway), Emergency Broadcast (Holland), Arcade (Holland) a.o.
I was heavy into the rave scene at that time and playing live was most fun. Will never forget when I played live for a crowd of about 8000 people and they went totally berserk dancing to my music... Wild.

But then I got interested in 3D and couldn't find time to do music anymore. I used to work on Cubase in a room full of old analogue synths and Akai samplers (still have 'em). Have several friend who are pro-musicians and I'm very tempted at doing music again using the amazing soft-synths and stuff available today. Having it all on your Mac without a room of hardware synths seems like heaven. I must pick it up again soon...

Here are a couple of old tracks of minimalistic techno I did back in 1996-97 (MP3 files about 8-9MB each):
Implosion - Lobotomy (http://www.akdesign.no/music/lobotomy.mp3)
Implosion - Turmoil (http://www.akdesign.no/music/turmoil.mp3)
© 1997 Warner Chappell Music Norway
Note: To be played loooud, preferably in a crowded club after 3am... ;)

CLAW
08-17-2003, 05:14 PM
ArneK:

really like it, groovy!:), Can I ask you what sort of synths involved in those two tracks? Sounds like a Roland JV somewhere.

ArneK
08-17-2003, 05:22 PM
Thanks Claw. They sound a bit dated now in my opinion, but they work like hell on the dancefloor still :)

Yup, you heard right. A Roland Juno 106 was the baby of my setup along wirth an old SH-101, TB-303, JV-2080 and a JV-30. And an Akai S1000 sampler of course. All mixed on a Yamaha ProMix01 and a Mackie.

marchermann
08-17-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by ArneK
I'm very tempted at doing music again using the amazing soft-synths and stuff available today.
Arne,
you really have to have a look at Reason by Propellerheads (http://www.propellerheads.se). It brought me back to making music again, too. I was sooo much into techno and the whole rave scene back in '93-'96. Aah, those were the days...

At the time, my flatmate and I spent hours after at the computer after we got home from uni, doing our own tracks, and eventually we, too, got signed by No Respect Rec. for one release (http://www.themarcside.com/music.html), which was quite exciting.

Couldn't listen to your tracks yet, cause I'm on 56k at the moment. I'll check them out tomorrow.

Marc

EDIT: "one release"-Link now working.

surferjoe
08-18-2003, 06:14 AM
Mostly a drummer, I can play guitar, keyboards, and Therimin. I prefer composition than performing. I recently did all the music and sound effects for our DVD with Sonar. It's pretty cool to play back a AVI of an animation and do the foley in real time on top of it. If you want to play my drum kit, head over here:http://www.wonderlens.com/Amphitheater2.htm

JVitale
08-18-2003, 06:54 AM
This is so cool!...I can annoy people around me for hours...heh heh heh heh....But really, I love stuff like this.

ArneK
08-18-2003, 07:16 AM
Marc, I get "Access forbidden" when trying to open your link.

marchermann
08-18-2003, 12:16 PM
Arne, I updated the link. Don't even know my way around my own website...

I also listened to your tracks. While I found "Turmoil" a wee bit to abstract for my taste, I liked "Lobotomy". Made me remember long nights in the club, when most of the people had already left. Me and a friend: still dancing.

Also, it sounds a bit like some of the International Deejay Gigolo stuff of recent years, maybe less "polished".

Marc

openzight
08-18-2003, 04:44 PM

ronaldomiranda
08-18-2003, 05:29 PM
openzight, what is Creative spirit?

openzight
08-18-2003, 08:04 PM

ronaldomiranda
08-18-2003, 09:37 PM
thanx....i was wondering if it was a SOFTWARE.....hehehe

:applause:

John Keates
12-04-2003, 10:54 PM
Bass guitar rules!! I have three. A 5 string Yamaha, Encor Jaz with frets ripped off and Washburn acoustic 5 string and I want more.

There is definitely a link between art and music. When I started seeing rythm in paintings a wole world opened up. Also animation is closely linked to music because of the timing.

It can be a bit distracting when I am working at home though. Once I am playing, that is it for the next few hours.

Avrigus
12-04-2003, 11:15 PM
Hey this is my kind of thread! I play guitar, drums, bass, keyboard and do some vocals here and there. In 1996 I sold most of my recording equipment to buy me Lightwave 5.0, haven't looked back since!

I've been neglecting my music for a few years now (a record label is screwing us over, long story) but I did release my first full length album in 2001. Anyone interested can check out some of our tracks here: http://www.mp3.com.au/avrigus or here: http://www.avrigus.com

The style of music is like an eclectic mix of Enya, Metallica and Beethoven. Any feedback would be most welcome! :buttrock:

Cheers.

T4D
12-05-2003, 05:38 AM
WOW missed this tread
i been playing Guitar for near 20 years now started when i was 10
worked as a session muso & in Metallica cover band for a few years lead guitar But wife and kids make moving around in hotel rooms not such a good idea
So worked a Cad draftsman for something different then done 3D previz that got me into 3D
I have 6 guitars 2 Bc rich's, Gibson SG, fender strat, fender bassman and a nice classical

only just brought Cubase amonth ago most like playing impro with a blues/Jazz band so this writing a song like a Lightwave scene is new to me but it great be drop'n afew mp3's on my site over the Xmas break:)

colour
12-05-2003, 06:43 AM
Hi all.

I play guitar. Hmm, 16years... Well I've owned one or other type of guitar during that time. If I add up my playing time, I'm sure its a fraction of that. And as you grow older and acquire new reponsibilities (the nappy wearing variety), the guitars get replaced by JOY of JOYS - fridges, tumbledryers and slow cookers.

AARGHH!!!

(I always manage to keep at least one though, but I miss my 12 string)

Miyazaki
12-05-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Novadesigns
I use Emagic's Logic Audio these days. unreal program!

I actually started out waaaaaay back in the begining of time using MOTU Performer on the Mac Plus/SE, then Opcode's Vision sequencer on my Mac II (whoohoo 12-inch, 8-bit color screen!!!). Eventually Vision and Studio Vision were swallowed up and I switched to Logic.
Wish I could use Logic once again. I was a hardcore PC Logic Audio user, until... you know the story:argh:

kevman3d
12-05-2003, 07:24 AM
I play(ed) guitar - Back in my younger days, I was into the whole thrash/death metal scene... Now it all just sits upstairs gathering dust - Ahhh, those long lost days of reckless youth-hood!

Kerraaannnggggg! :buttrock:

Angelo_Blaze
12-05-2003, 02:10 PM
I play the violin, viola, recorder, piano, giutar, and bass. I like everything as you can see. ^_^ I play all of them to a certian degree of goodness. heh, what do you play?
-A-

Jag Panzer
12-05-2003, 02:45 PM
I play guitar in a metal band. We've got 7 albums out and we actually manage to tour Europe or the U.S. each year. Doubt anyone here has heard of the band (Jag Panzer) unless you listen to underground heavy metal.

Mark

kurt30
12-05-2003, 02:54 PM
sax

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.