PDA

View Full Version : Challenge issues resolved here

lildragon
08-11-2003, 11:12 AM
Go for it

Supervlieg
08-11-2003, 01:00 PM
Wheee, sounds like fun. Good subject for a challege.

Don't know if I can participate though, I've got a three week holiday planned in that period. Maybe I'll give it shot.

CGmonkey
08-11-2003, 01:47 PM
Anyone remember the game Sanitarium? Awesome for inspiration *inserts the installing cd*..

ElysiumGX
08-11-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by lildragon
2) Must have a visible, anatomical deformity...Apart from this deformity, character must be anatomically correct.

By anatomically correct, does that specifically mean it has to be proportionally correct? I can understand being anatomically correct, meaning having a human structure of organs, muscular shape, and skin tone. That's what would make it genetically human. And of course there would be a specific anatomical deformity. But, in the terms of this challence, do each of these structures need to be proportionally correct to realistic standards. Would having a giant eyeball or three functional arms or the paws of a lion work? Something that COULD function in terms of anatomy, and live in our would, but doesn't actually appear in reality.

Just wondering how much creativity is allowed. I'd rather not model a "normal boring human being with 6 foot fingernails, or six toes on one foot" kinda thing.

Ivars
08-11-2003, 07:07 PM
I´m looking forward to participate in the contest aswell.

Here´s a suggestion though:
In the last challenge, many seemed to have problem counting their tri´s. So I´m suggesting, maby make a sticky, with information on how to get a correct polycount in the different programs.
(In MAX you need to make the geometry "editable mesh", or use the "STL check" modifier on top of the stack)

Maybe?

Dancing Monkey
08-11-2003, 08:02 PM
No Dancing Monkeys?! I guess I can't participate.

bentllama
08-11-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Ivars
I´m looking forward to participate in the contest aswell.

Here´s a suggestion though:
In the last challenge, many seemed to have problem counting their tri´s. So I´m suggesting, maby make a sticky, with information on how to get a correct polycount in the different programs.
(In MAX you need to make the geometry "editable mesh", or use the "STL check" modifier on top of the stack)

Maybe?

good idea. I will try to take this further.:beer:

bentllama
08-11-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by ElysiumGX
I can understand being anatomically correct, meaning having a human structure of organs, muscular shape, and skin tone. That's what would make it genetically human. And of course there would be a specific anatomical deformity.

genetically human...human as a base...

proportions are up to you...he could have severe Elephantitis or whatever...

so, go nuts with proportions if you choose to...just base the "freak" of a human

bentllama
08-11-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Dancing Monkey
No Dancing Monkeys?! I guess I can't participate.

lol

you are the opnly dancing monkey allowed. :) :beer:

Lee3dee
08-12-2003, 04:16 PM
i agree with Ivars, I would like to see some guidelines regarding poly count and triangle display. Its wierd, in 3dsmax, when the model is displayed in quad, its counting the 2 polys that make up the quad. because when I triangluate, its the same number. but in maya, you have to triangulate otherwise the total poly count is way off. A standard needs to be set, or show the proper proceedure for displaying the true number of polys.

just my 2 cents. :)

bentllama
08-12-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Hirigashi
i agree with Ivars, I would like to see some guidelines regarding poly count and triangle display. Its wierd, in 3dsmax, when the model is displayed in quad, its counting the 2 polys that make up the quad. because when I triangluate, its the same number. but in maya, you have to triangulate otherwise the total poly count is way off. A standard needs to be set, or show the proper proceedure for displaying the true number of polys.

just my 2 cents. :)

the standard is tris...

I will get eith the other mods and try to outline some software specific guidelines...

rAndall
08-12-2003, 07:41 PM
Yea I remember it CgMonkey!
I still have it at my desk. Its my kinda craziness.
I actually interviewed at the company that developed it way back in 1998.

I'll be entering this contest as well. :)

victor throe
08-13-2003, 07:26 AM
just to clarify

should the submission be a game character in a game environment

or is the environment optional

its just you have given a texture limit for the characters but not the environment

or am i wrong

im a bit slow this morning

bentllama
08-13-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by victor throe
just to clarify...

environment optional

victor throe
08-13-2003, 09:56 AM
if its optional....does that mean there is no limit to the amount or size of textures used

bentllama
08-13-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by victor throe
if its optional....does that mean there is no limit to the amount or size of textures used

not for the environment...common sense should prevail and textures hugely disproportionate should not be used...

I will talk to some level artists here to get a better guideline to follow for environments...

NOV
08-14-2003, 10:28 AM
sounds fun. i hope i will some time to join the challenge. :-):thumbsup:

ionanism
08-16-2003, 11:03 PM
Ok I have a question.
The rules say that you cant have no more than 2 - 512 textures, then you say that we can use specualr maps, and a bump maps.

My question is do the speck and bump count toward our 2 - 515 map limit so we have to use 1 texture sheet and decide on using either a bump or speck map in addition, or can we have 2 - 512 texture maps and add additional 512 bump maps and a spec maps where we see fit. Also can we have 2 of each (speck and bump) if we need them?

So then our mapping usage could potentially look like this:
2 – 512 texture sheets
2 – 512 bump maps
2 - 512 specular maps.

What is the limit to our mapping usage.

Just wanted to understand a bit better what I can and can not do/use.

bentllama
08-17-2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by ionanism
mapping usage could potentially look like this:
2 – 512 texture sheets
2 – 512 bump maps
2 - 512 specular maps.

CORRECT.

ionanism
08-17-2003, 02:50 AM
cool!!

thanks.

speveo
08-17-2003, 07:29 AM
THe The polycount for the model is set at 2500 - 4000 tris right? Does this count include the prop that the character is holding?

I would assume that the model limit was seperate to the prop?

Cheers

Steve

bentllama
08-17-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Speve-O
THe The polycount for the model is set at 2500 - 4000 tris right? Does this count include the prop that the character is holding?

I would assume that the model limit was seperate to the prop?

Cheers

Steve

THAT POLYCOUNT [keep in mind they are tri's] INCLUDES THE PROP.

mindrot
08-21-2003, 06:17 PM
Just a simple question regarding hair.

Would one have to model both sides of the hair if using targas, or could we instead use "force double sided"?

ionanism
08-22-2003, 06:57 AM
Are we allowed to soft body dynamics, when rigging our characters?

bentllama
08-22-2003, 09:34 AM
Are we allowed to soft body dynamics, when rigging our characters?

if you want, but I do not see how that applies to this game art "modelling" challenge

bentllama
08-22-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by mindrot
Just a simple question regarding hair.

Would one have to model both sides of the hair if using targas, or could we instead use "force double sided"?

double sided be fine

mindrot
08-22-2003, 10:37 AM

Optigon-cg
09-02-2003, 07:30 AM
A few questions:

1. When you say the character has to be asymmetrical, are you referring to the geometry, the mapping, or both. What about an asymmetrical morphed facial expression? Does that count?

2. I was considering using spheres in the eyesockets so the eyes can move about when animated. These would be seperate objects of course linked to the head. What's your take on that?

3. Will there be a "winner" to this competition? If so, what's the reward? Front page? :)

Thanks.

bentllama
09-02-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Optigon-cg
A few questions:

1. When you say the character has to be asymmetrical, are you referring to the geometry, the mapping, or both. What about an asymmetrical morphed facial expression? Does that count?

2. I was considering using spheres in the eyesockets so the eyes can move about when animated. These would be seperate objects of course linked to the head. What's your take on that?

3. Will there be a "winner" to this competition? If so, what's the reward? Front page? :)

Thanks.

1] final geometry has to "appear" to be assymetrical

2] z buffered... spheres are fine... half spheres, are even better ;)

3] look at past contests at www.cgchallenge.com

mindrot
09-15-2003, 12:43 PM
What are the limitations on the render?

1. As in, can we use raytraced/mirror materials in the scene?
2. Can we use global illumination?
3. HDRI, etc . . .

Thanks

bentllama
09-16-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by mindrot
What are the limitations on the render?

1. As in, can we use raytraced/mirror materials in the scene?
2. Can we use global illumination?
3. HDRI, etc . . .

Thanks

all of the above...but try to mimic what you perceive the game engine to handle...

speveo
09-22-2003, 05:37 AM
I've e-mailed lildragon, but I'll mention it here just incase . . . I uploaded my latest entry to cgchallenge.com and the upload was fine, but it hasn't updated the thumbnail!! :banghead: It's displaying one thats about 2 weeks old.

If you follow the thumbnails link it displays the correct image though . . . wierd.

http://www.cgchallenge.com/gallery_artist.php?artist_id=8560

Does anybody know how to fix this?

Thanks

Speve-O

Jennbot
09-22-2003, 07:21 AM
Hi guys-

I have been scouring the CGchallenge site for past Game Art Challenge winners, but cant seem to find the link. Am i missing something that is right in front of my (burnt-out) eyes?

giantrobot
09-22-2003, 05:24 PM
Hi Lildragon-

Just read your post.

I was wondering why you chose not to award prizes this time around? Just because there were only a handful of entrants does not mean that they should be alienated?

Speve-o, Mindrot and some others did a great job and seemed to follow the rules (i think).

Did all entrants break the rules so that none are worthy of awarding their hard work?

-giantrobot

mindrot
09-22-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by giantrobot
...Did all entrants break the rules so that none are worthy of awarding their hard work?

-giantrobot

I totally agree with giantrobot. Why spoil it for those who followed the rules. And most of us put in a lot of work. Damn, even a CGTalk Choice award would be more than sufficient I think.....

I personally didn't enter for the sake of winning a prize (though one would be a bonus), but instead entered mainly because of the challenge itself, and of the fact the the whole process would be one of fun and getting involved with the community spirit. It also gave me the opportunity to create a new portfolio piece and to actually (and eventually) post something on these wonderful forums.

Anyway that was my 2 cents worth...

-Gary Newman

lildragon
09-22-2003, 06:49 PM
Prizes shouldn't be your main reason to enter the challenges, that's why I usually leave it to the end.

Had a change of mind, I'll do an award page, but the no prizes stand this month as I haven't contacted any sponsors to submit any. Next challenge things will change.

-lild

baaah888
09-22-2003, 08:40 PM
About the prize's does anyone who entered really enter to win the prizes?

I know i didnt. I joined this comp cause

1. it gives me a chance to work from others briefs,
2. Will help me to create a better more diverse portfolio
3. I love modelling, and enjoyed the last comp.
4. I want to work in the games industry and things like this look great on your Cv as it shows an active non working environment intrest in game art.

Although i do think the top 3 should get the digital trophy things to put with their work.

additional prizes are a pleasant bonus not a essential part of the comp.

lildragon
09-22-2003, 08:51 PM
baaah888 I wish everyone thought like you, but read my last post, I will be doing an award page.

-lild

bentllama
09-22-2003, 08:59 PM
kudos for your attitude baaah888. :beer:

speveo
09-22-2003, 09:25 PM
I enjoyed every second of this challenge . . . prizes or no prizes.

The most important thing for me, is that a month has passed and I have something to show for it . . . a beautiful piece of artwork that I am very proud of! I hope you all feel the same way about your work.

I learnt so many new things in trying to increase the quality of my work, and that alone was worth it all.

The competative edge of the challenge is why I entered . . . it forces you to keep on par with so many talented artitsts you can't help but improve . . . and to me, thats what the challenge is all about . . . pushing your boundries.

The cgchallenge is awesome, and I am looking forward to the next one! :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

giantrobot
09-22-2003, 10:38 PM
Oooh...I hope I was not the one that people thought was in it just for the physical prize.

While that would have been awesome, I was mainly concerned with the prestigious prize of the cgchallenge award. I hope I was not misunderstood.

I mostly wanted to see everyone's hard work rewarded with the standard 1st, 2nd, 3rd place listings in the finale post...maybe a front page link...and hopefully a few digital trophies awarded. This was my 1st challenge and while it was fun, it was also really difficult to squeeze in. :)

While there were just a few representatives...there were some great models in the thread.

awards, prizes, trophys, links...either way, I had fun and proved to myself that i can actually be productive in my otherwise wasteful 1 hour commute (in case you did not check my thread, i did my submission on an apple laptop, in a car, during my commute to work).

Also, thanks to lildragon for reconsidering the awards for this startup challenge thread (game art).
:thumbsup:

Jennbot
09-22-2003, 11:20 PM
Lildragon,

To be fair, none of the posts above said that prizes were their main reason for entering, people that entered seemed to be a little bummed out that they put a lot of work into their entries and then it suddenly seemed as if the challenge would be ignored all together.

We all understand that the CG sites are a good resource for interacting with our peers and driving ourselves to become better artists and animators-that goes without saying. You have provided a great community.

I am sure all of the people that entered this challenge are great supporters of this community, and if they were at all bummed out it is because they did take the challenge seriously-even if there were only a few of them. I don't think any of them were just out to get a prize and it seems a little harsh to paint them that way.

That said, I haven't been able to enter a challenge yet, but I look forward to doing so in the future. If I had found time to enter between job and new baby, I think I also would have been sad if it was all of a sudden going to be ignored after I had finished.

Sorry, that was way more than two cents. Anyway, looking forward to the next challenge if I am not forever banned. :)

Jennbot

:)

Optigon-cg
09-23-2003, 03:31 AM
It's cool to see that just about all of the particiants in this challenge are on the same note. The prize is in the whole process.

I happened to have produced my best model yet and that was a result of constantly being inspired and motivated by eveyone else's great work. I think I've learned more about modeling in one month than I've learned in 2 years. ;)

However, I also feel that some form of recognition is appropriate.
:shame:

bentllama
09-23-2003, 05:13 AM
no one was implying that you guys were in it just for the end prize.

we are all part of this community here at cgtalk, and just our participation in the community alone makes it a great place to be...

...and one of these days I will enter AND finish a damn challenge! ;)

mindrot
09-23-2003, 07:48 AM
Bring on the next challenge.... I hope it is as exciting as this one :buttrock:

ionanism
09-23-2003, 08:26 AM
The lack of a prize doesn’t bother me any either, I only entered this challenge for some work to do to build up my portfolio. I think baaah888 put it the best… I am in the same boat as him (portfolio, job, games, ext…)

I just can’t wait for the next challenge…it always seems like such a long time in between challenges, and from the sound if it…the whole revamping thing…It might be even longer. I just hope it isn’t too long…I need my 3D fix.

bentllama
09-23-2003, 09:05 AM
I just can’t wait for the next challenge…it always seems like such a long time in between challenges, and from the sound if it…the whole revamping thing…It might be even longer. I just hope it isn’t too long…I need my 3D fix.

shouldnt be long ;)

lildragon
09-23-2003, 12:07 PM
I'll be discussing the next challenges soon with the mods. We're all going to go through the wringer on how challenges will be ran soon.

Also I reconsidered putting up the award page because I can promote the hell out of it for you, and you stand a much better chance to get recoqnized by potential employers and idolized by your peers in the process. That's one helleva prize if you ask me ;)

stay tuned...

-lild

giantrobot
09-24-2003, 05:26 PM
Hi guys-

When does voting get turned on for all of the different challenges (classic, animation, game art, etc)?

Optigon-cg
09-29-2003, 07:14 AM
Yeah. What up with voting yo? :hmm:

ionanism
09-29-2003, 08:02 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but…I think they are waiting until the “How do Dreams become Nightmares?” challenge is over before they open up voting on everything. (It’s over the 30 of September)

lildragon
09-29-2003, 11:20 AM
Ion you got it.

-lild

giantrobot
09-29-2003, 08:36 PM
CI think they are waiting until the “How do Dreams become Nightmares?” challenge is over

ahh...cool. I was wondering why that was the only one listed on the cgchallenge page.

just went over there to watch some animation but none there yet :(

cant wait to see what people do with the topic.

Castor76
09-30-2003, 10:23 PM
It's nice to see that everyone had done very well in the contest.
And i must say that the quality is exceptionally good!

One thing that came to my mind, since this is all about game
art design, we should include at least some sort of indications
about what type of game this character+model is going to be in.
I mean, not just satisfying the rules of polycount,texture size and all that technicial stuff, but also show the character of the game art itself.

For instance, Steve's model can be some poor dude you have to rescue from the circus on some adventure game. Mindrot's character can be one of the minion from next Resident Evil zero ++.... so on... just to become more "game art" and really get to feel the character from the point of view from the game itself. (This will allow a better judgement later on how good each character fits into the game)

I am just saying that just pretty textured polygon art is not going to be much different from the other challanges, just a less polygons. Let's try to give more flavour, unique character to the game art challange!

We can even enforce a type of the game art next time. Like, not just do a theme of some sort, but actually specifying some type of the game. FPS, Adventure , whatever.

:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.