PDA

View Full Version : Challenge issues resolved here

lildragon
08-11-2003, 11:12 AM
Go for it

Fasty
08-11-2003, 12:33 PM
Looks like I'm the first to put my head on the block...

The guidelines for the animation challenge seem very broad; is there a particular scenario we have to put our freak through? Perhaps we have to show how our deformed character walks or gets around? Basically my question is what do we have our character do?

Milho
08-11-2003, 01:03 PM
Sounds more like a modeling challenge to me.

Can't think of a action other than showing their "mutation". Some examples would help alot. Probably I have to wait until some very creative guys have their first results up to get an idea what the animation is supposed to look like.

:blush:

animatabull
08-11-2003, 01:06 PM
Ok, I really like the topic, but, I just want to animate from scratch so can we use, say a biped and scale the parts to look like, for example, a huntchback?

Surely this would focus the viewers attention on the animation and not the models etc. Granted it could look less visually interesting.

Sorry if this sort of question has been asked in previous challenges, is my first one.

Thanks,

Chris

baby
08-11-2003, 01:18 PM
sounds like a modeling challenge for me too :((

MrSolo
08-11-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by animatabull
Ok, I really like the topic, but, I just want to animate from scratch so can we use, say a biped and scale the parts to look like, for example, a huntchback?

Surely this would focus the viewers attention on the animation and not the models etc. Granted it could look less visually interesting.

Chris

I totally agree with you.

I really want to try this one, it will be my first contest :thumbsup:

:beer:

kaktuswasser
08-11-2003, 01:33 PM
so our model has to be anatomically correct with all the muscles and stuff? :eek:

sounds more likea modelling challenge for me as well :(

Stephen Vyas
08-11-2003, 04:48 PM
Not to sound like a broken wheel, but did we get the right challenge info? The reason I ask, is that the focus doesn't seem entirely based on animation this time, which is what I personally appreciated most about these challenges in the past. The challenge this round seems very loose compared to the previous challenge "Showdown" where there was a very decisive objective for each animation entry to achieve. Perhaps, I'm missing it and in that case disregard this post.

Good-luck to those entering.
-Steve

lildragon
08-11-2003, 06:16 PM
I'm at work right now, I'll have to take a look thru it again, or have Bent sift thru it, but yes it should be a bit more clear. In the meantime start thinking of accidental scenarios for a freaky friends.

-lild

lildragon
08-11-2003, 06:29 PM
Sorry again about that guys, just totally missed me, I went ahead and changed it up to the proper info http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81026

Also you do not need to model characters from scratch, just make them fit the theme.

enjoy

-lild

mockingbird
08-11-2003, 08:23 PM
so is it now ok to animate a normal person biped or must the entry include a unique attrabute?

bentllama
08-11-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by lildragon
I'm at work right now, I'll have to take a look thru it again, or have Bent sift thru it, but yes it should be a bit more clear. In the meantime start thinking of accidental scenarios for a freaky friends.

-lild

yes. I am at work right now lyself and I will address this tonight.

personally I would like to see the topic opened up to not having 3 to choose from, but rather a person make up their own accident.

again, I will look at it tonight...

IN THE MEANTIME PLEASE BRAINSTORM... ;) :beer:

Goon
08-11-2003, 10:01 PM
just read the rules over to make sure, but are we allowed to share characters between modeling and animation challenges? I remember this being prohibited before but its not there now.

Milho
08-11-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by bentllama

personally I would like to see the topic opened up to not having 3 to choose from, but rather a person make up their own accident.

I think the 3rd option
"Carni tries to impress onlookers with a "talent" but it goes horribly wrong"
is pretty "open". It's like "...and when you don't like the first two suggestions do it your way!"...

And I'm using too many " " " "s ;)
Well I got an idea or two now....let's see if I can manage my time to take part in this one :wavey:

Fasty
08-12-2003, 12:03 AM
Ahhhh that's better!! I love those scenarios, let's see what everyone can do with them. Good luck all!

bentllama
08-12-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Goon
just read the rules over to make sure, but are we allowed to share characters between modeling and animation challenges? I remember this being prohibited before but its not there now.

it was never prohibited before

it is allowed

Aken009
08-12-2003, 05:04 AM
can I ask you something?

...it's a question...

after reading the challenge details...I was under the impression that we'd have to keep this realistic, ect...is this so? or am I just confused....I'd like to do it very cartoony if that's alright...and do they have to be human? or could it be for example : a mouse with human characteristics...ect...

thanks for your time;)

bentllama
08-12-2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Aken009
can I ask you something?

...it's a question...

after reading the challenge details...I was under the impression that we'd have to keep this realistic, ect...is this so? or am I just confused....I'd like to do it very cartoony if that's alright...and do they have to be human? or could it be for example : a mouse with human characteristics...ect...

thanks for your time;)

cartoony. realistic. interpretive.
choose one...

there are NO limits on style.

style will never be dictated in a challenge here on cgtalk.

[and the rules state that it has to start from a human...sorry no mice this time]

:beer:

mockingbird
08-12-2003, 07:36 AM
can we use a human character?

bentllama
08-12-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by mockingbird
can we use a human character?

the challenge is based off of a human to start with...then add the deformation/oddity

westmeadow
08-12-2003, 10:03 AM
I see, it's just in the guidelines it says nothing about the character having a deformity (apart from introducing the idea of a sideshow). I was planning on just using a simple "cylinder and sphere" type guy showing off his talent.

One question:

Can we work on more than one challenge (if we find the time)?

Assie

kaktuswasser
08-12-2003, 11:18 AM
can we do a traditional animation as well?

bentllama
08-12-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Assie
I see, it's just in the guidelines it says nothing about the character having a deformity (apart from introducing the idea of a sideshow). I was planning on just using a simple "cylinder and sphere" type guy showing off his talent.

One question:

Can we work on more than one challenge (if we find the time)?

Assie

1) does not have to have deformity

2) go nuts...but do not start a new thread until you finish the first entry

bentllama
08-12-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by kaktuswasser
can we do a traditional animation as well?

certainly

ROPA
08-15-2003, 09:42 PM
Hey lildragon sorry to interrupt but what about past challenge ?
Shawdawn ! ?

????????????

Stephen Vyas
08-24-2003, 11:00 PM
Wish I had time to enter this challenge, looks like everyone's havin a good time, but the reason I'm writing is because I had an idea for next months challenge and thought I'd shout it out.

The challengers are given 3 props or told to create 3 simple props(Such as a box, a ball, and a stick of dynamite ), and are told to create a 20 second story showing at least one emotional response(eg.Fear), while utilizing the props in some manner.
Sorry for cluttering up the issue resolved thread, but I didn't know where else to post the idea.

Oh, and Good-Luck to all the entries this month!

Steve

bentllama
08-24-2003, 11:14 PM
steve...thanks for your input.

Kricket
09-08-2003, 05:01 AM
Are gasps and screams from an (offscreen) audience allowed? It's not exactyle dialogue, but I'd like to be sure.

Thanks!

skull_leader
09-18-2003, 10:46 PM
One of the rules of the challenge state...

The Challenge starts when it starts SUNDAY AUGUST 10th and will run until SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 21st

Isn't September 21st a Sunday? Or are we suppose to submit at Saturday September 20th? I am a bit tight with time at the moment... so every second count. Thanks!

Kricket
09-19-2003, 01:05 AM
If you go to cgchallenge.com there's a handy dandy timer which will let ya know when to be finished.

Kricket
09-19-2003, 01:05 AM
If you go to cgchallenge.com there's a handy dandy timer which will let ya know when to be finished.

skull_leader
09-21-2003, 12:02 AM
Thanks Kricket! Handy little timer! Great idea whoever thought of that! :scream:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.