PDA

View Full Version : Getting armor to follow the skin.

DanHaffner
09-26-2009, 08:51 PM
So my character that I rigged up has armor all over his body. And to make it even worse the armor has very small gaps, so moving isn't much of an option if I keep the armor as hard surfaces. So I have decided instead of metal plates, the armor is gonna be like tough leather pads of some kind, so they can move and flex. I have tried the rivet tool, but it freaks out when you up-res the mesh. I have tried wrap deformers but after about 3 in the scene Maya is useless and crashes, locks up, and the rig moves way to slow to even use.

My next idea is to take all the pieces, combine them so they are one mesh, bind that to the joints, and do weight painting on them. Problem with that is they now gonna move like a skin instead of touch pieces.

Anyone have any tips, tricks, or suggestions on how to handle a character with armor or clothing that is on top of the skin and a completely different mesh?

DanHaffner
09-28-2009, 06:42 PM
LoL, 65 views and no one even has an off the wall suggestion?

theflash
09-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Can you post a picture of your model with armor?

uiron
09-29-2009, 08:04 AM
your problem is that you want to attach armor to a mesh which resolution you're changing. use two body meshes, one for rendering (which can be smoothed), the other one, hidden, for attaching armor. you first setup your body deformation (e.g., skinCluster), and have that as your "armor attach mesh". then, make a duplicate of it, name that "body for rendering", and connect "outMesh" from first mesh to "inMesh" to second one. now you have a copy of the first mesh, which can be smoothed.

for the attach part, there's quite a few options, depending on the structure of your armor, most cheapest and dirtiest one would be simply wrapping (either wrap deformer, or skinCluster geometry influences).

DanHaffner
09-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Here is an image of my guy:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/sw204me/Model.jpg?t=1254344816

Here he is posed, as you tell ,the armor isn't following along very well:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/sw204me/Final_render.jpg?t=1254344867

The problem with wrap deformers is it bogs down the scene A LOT after about three in the scene and Maya crashes and the rig moves amazingly slow. So I am trying to avoid wrap deformers.

Your trick about the two meshes might allow me to use the rivet tool though. As it worked fine, till I up-resed, then the rivet shot off into space. For my high res and low res I simply have a switch that smoothes and unsmoothes the bind mesh, so that way the weights go with either mesh.

theflash
09-30-2009, 09:46 PM
That to me looks like a flexible armor. Most of its parts can be deformed along with the body. I would just skin most of the armor.

Stankluv
10-01-2009, 05:03 AM
I think set driven keys for all the big pieces and limb movements...

Don't do whatever it is that is making rivet go nuts...stick the pieces on with the rivet point as a hinge and then aim-constrain it it at a locator....set-drive-key that target.

maybe keep another locator in between the rivet and the armor, and one between the aim constraint and the base joint for on the fly adjustments...I don't think this stuff can ever be quickly penetration proofed...

for reference, real armor is crazy restrictive

CGTalk Moderation
10-01-2009, 05:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.